RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Training a Belgian Malinois (sp)

5K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  RaeganW 
#1 ·
Training an 8 month old Malinois dog obidence . I assume same retriever methods would work or are than anthings different to be aware of?

#3 ·
I am thinking about getting a Malinois. Am interested in learning how your experience goes.

#5 ·
Training an 8 month old Malinois dog obidence . I assume same retriever methods would work or are than anthings different to be aware of?
THEIR TEETH!!!!!:)

If I were to train those animals my rates would be $500/month as a puppy and $5,000,000/ month once the adult teeth come in :)

Besides Clay Bridges who Charles recommended. Not sure, butI believe he is in E Texas or Louisiana

Clint Mann also has experience with training them. He winters in Texas.

#8 ·
I have trained both. Have a Lab now but trained police dogs and worked a K9 for several years. The basics are the same for obedience. If you do obedience the same as for your hunting dog you will have a great start. Also if you keep the mind set your teaching him and go in slow short steps through obstacle courses and what ever extra work you want. You will be fine. Let me caution you!!!!! Your pup will have 10X the energy any lab has. If you don't work and exercise him he will tear your house into little tiny pieces with nothing left in the end. This is the biggest problem with these dogs. Energy, run it out of them. After you find out what he needs and start training you will have a awesome dog!!!! Good luck.

#10 ·
Another qustion? Is obedince the the same process on any breed. From lap dogs to Malanois etc.. Do you you use pinch collars and such? My sister is whering me out on her new 2 dogs also. I have only trained 2 labs so dont know if theres other things to be aware of with other breeds. My past dogs were just broom trained:(
Thanks Brad

#13 ·
The exercises are by and large the same but the types and amounts of rewards along with the types and amounts of pressure vary. If that Mal is any good it will have intelligence and drive like you've never seen in a lab. They have a reputation for instability and handler aggression so I would be very careful with pressure. I've only trained one and it was a breeze. I love working GSD and have done a few dozen of those, although they are not the same animal by all accounts. Whomever said, be careful about how intelligent they are is correct. A herding dog will learn much faster than a retriever, sometimes causing issues if you aren't careful in training.

I often tell people - if you don't want your adult dog to do it... don't let your puppy do it. Definitely applies to herding dogs.

My experience over about 100 herding breed dogs (collies, shelties, GSD and such) the last few years.

#11 ·
I don't have a Malinois, but I have Border Collies. Something you have to keep in mind with these high drive, super smart herding breeds is that they can learn the wrong thing just as quickly as the right thing. They pick things up so quickly that you may think you are teaching them X, but they perceive it as Y. You as a trainer have to be spot on with your training, so think through your training plan before you start.

#12 ·
I had a mal before I got into labs. He was trained in Holland and came in 2nd in the 1996 KNPV Nationals in Atlanta. They are incredibly smart, athletic and energetic. Mine had a great off switch. Like other breeds some are tough some are softer. I trained with a Dutch pro here in Florida and their training methods could be pretty tough. But, he like other good pros that I've been around, adjusted their methods to the dog being trained. I trained with a number of K-9 LEOs, some thought they were tougher than their dogs, which wasn't always the case. Like with our labs, just be fair in your corrections and you'll be fine. They are one of my favorite breeds.

Buck

#14 · (Edited)
Worked with these dogs for explosive detection. Take the time to form a bond and earn their trust before trying anything serious.....they will try you and are far more persistent than any labrador . They are extremely high energy and as previously stated highly intelligent. That being said, I found them to respond very well to positive training and tolerated strong corrections after you formed the bond. The bond formed is extremely strong - you have to be cautious if you are training the dog for someone else that owner/handler builds the same the level of trust as you. If I was to train for another, I would be far more particular of the human component than the canine. These are not dogs I would train for someone wanting an obedient pet. Only people willing to put in lot of time and energy into training themselves as well as the dog. If this is an older dog with issues, I suggest you give it a pass unless you have a competent mentor.

I loved working with them, but if a handler abuses that trust you'll find out why they are called malligators!

#19 ·
I have a Malinois named Hazel that is 12 yrs old this month. I have had her since a baby and she was trained from the start as a RETRIEVER. AKC and HRC do not allow them to compete but she was used in both venues as a test dog and bye dog in finished and the master level. Always had lots of energy BUT because she was a retriever, she got worked almost every day and energy was put into this game. We trained for some yrs with field trial folks so she covered lots of ground! I also have Labs so she was the extra I guess.
As a breed they are sensitive, so pressure has to be appropriate. But, they are very intelligent and once they learn something, they never forget it. :)

#20 ·
I have a female Mal on the truck with my labs. They are not a pet for most people. They are a serious commitment. Socialize, ob, exersise, supervise, exercise some more. They need a job. A walk around the block isn't gonna get it. Mine retrieves right along side my labs. I was surprised in her sensitivity to pressure. Can be very mouthy and play rough. My son's buddy , a k-9 officer calls them a German Shepard on crack. Never boring. Very intelligent, athletic, loyal, affectionate. I worked with American Belgian Malinios Rescue for 2 years before I made a commitment to own one. Enjoy.

#21 ·
They def are a commitment. My mal and Dutchy which are pretty much the same thing, retrieve like crazy and their hunt drive is off the charts. Like mentioned, a walk 2x a day isn't even enough to cause them to think about being tired. By are smart, very athletic. My mal was clocked at work at 32 miles an hour. They tend to get tunnel vision in drive. Like a million hamsters all doingnsomthe thing differen

#24 ·
In the last 20 years, I have trained numerous Mals. As other have said, they are high energy, fast, and very visual. In my experience: They can be distracted easy but can be a joy to train. They are very handler conscious, they will look for you for guidance. Mine are/were very playful and were taught to bite on command. They did not come out of the womb biting. They do obedience best when they have been run a little bit to get the "malanut" edge off. I placed in the top 5 in Obedience (and in bite work, search, tracking and overall also) with two different Mals (and 1 Shepherd) during national competitions with over 200 entries each event. So yes, they can be taught obedience but I do train them a little different then I do my retrievers. Example: I have longer sessions with the Mals, and use way less verbal praise or ball rewards, among other things. I also, demand compliance on first commands. Whats the saying, give them an inch, they take a mile?.. I have never had one come back on me during obedience training. Just my .02 cents.

Doug

#26 ·
Re: mal

hows the training coming
Thanks for advice. I didnt make it to training day. I dont plan on training it myself just thought may can give some poiters or help.
I think just going to refer to some of the ones mentioned. So what I take out of all this is their not to hard to train

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.