RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Training balance? - no marking for a month - bad idea?

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Buzz 
#1 ·
Yank my US import is a very high desire dog, which is great. He has a good training ethic and a very good marking dog.

Last year, I entered him in a couple of trials and he did well. After the first series (what we call tests), he grasped what trials were all about and the high excitement level.

We have progressed to transition level training.

As he is so high, for the last 2 weeks, his only training has been on blinds. This has helped keeping him in check.

We all talk about balance in training, marks/birds etc, to keep momentum/desire (which Yank does not lack). Do you think continuing blind work is a mistake?

#2 ·
Do you think continuing blind work is a mistake?
Nope, ya gotta continue blind work. I'd throw some marks into the mix and make him sit like a gentleman. I'd do your Australian selection to keep him thinking. If he didn't sit nicely he'd pay a dear price.

#3 ·
Yes. The dog must mark. It's up to you to control his desire. It can be taken, it can be given. Start doing tight multiple marks with him. He'll have to think or get in trouble and it'll take some of the fire out of him while at the same time keeping his marking sharp.

#4 ·
Aussie, I faced this issue and hope you will not be insulted by my comments. With my Chessie we have tested the old saying that it is better to have to "take it out, but you can't put it in." We ran back to back weekends and by the end of the second weekend he was practically tearing down the holding blind. Luckily, he settled down once we got to the line. If his being so high interferes with his performance, then I think you need to fix it ASAP. We would try everything in training to get corrections in, but it rarely worked. To be honest, I think not throwing marks is just avoiding the issue. If he is high and gets test wise/smart, you will have a huge issue that could prevent him from otherwise being a great trial dog. I had to stop running HT's and still battle control issues. They are very smart and even if you can control him in training by not throwing marks for now, I would bet as soon as you start running trials or hunting he will quickly fall back into "high" gear. I would rather try to control him with the excitement of marks and correct him while training then tip toe around the issue. If I let the standard slip, he goes right back to his old ways. FWIW my "trick" is to put him in a "down" in the holding blind now. It is sort of a submissive position and has stopped the jumping and mouthing off in the holding blind (for now.....). Good Luck, I know how much Yank means to you and what a good dog he is!

#5 ·
With my high dog, I was told to make him EARN every mark with good manners.

#6 ·
Julie,

Some dogs balance toward more blinds than marks, but that being said you are just covering up the poor OB at the line by focusing on something else.

Having seen your tests and handling a few dogs I'd say the most important thing for you to improve the marking of your dogs is to have one that will SIT at the line and move with you - don't depend or use the shotgun in training as much - make them work with you! Knowing how full of piss that damn Yank is, I'd say you got a lot of "rethrowing" to do in the future. SIT means SIT....deny the reward of retrieving any and ALL times he is not doing what he is suppose to.

Lainee, Flash and Bullet

#7 ·
IMO, running blinds exclusively may only serve to be avoidance of the issues in the long run. I'm assuming marking is of primary importance in your games too, so marking should be continued in the training mix. My approach with a high desire dogs is to come to the line in training where the dog sees the marks & then run blinds first before marks are thrown. If control is where it should be, then I run the marks. I would also attempt to simulate the trial environment as much as possible, to create that excitement in training where I can control it with corrections as necessary.

#9 ·
Jason Ferris said:
Hey Julie, if Yank's "enthusiasm" starts to wear thin, you can always send him up to me. :wink:

Cheers, Jason.
Jason,

You will have to wait in line.....behind me ;)

FOM

#11 ·
Aussie, you are talking about my dog. He is an absolute einstein at marking and is getting on with the job way beyond his level. I, on the other hand, am just learning how to teach blinds, which is still an awe inspiring thing for me to watch in our training partner. I try to start with the drills, casts, etc. and he just plain shuts down He gets very nervous, chomps the bumpers, drops things, etc, until we do another mark. His ff seems ok, he dives all over an object within 20 feet or so, just looses it on longer distances. Not very good explanation here, best I can do. When he gets upset about the drills, his teeth start chattering on the dummy, and he is clearly on the edg of sanity. Why cant he get it, or why cant I teach it??? :oops:

#12 ·
Thankyou one and all, for your replies.

Lainee and Jason, too funny. Unfortunately, he is staying at Beaconsfield Victoria, Australia. I have such high hopes for Yank.

I think.........I will continue, for another week on blinds, which include land and water.

I do think I will have to live with certain excitement behaviours, ie lip smacking.

I will post some photos hopefully tomorrow, as well as a little video. He is gorgeous!!!!!!

#14 ·
lesa c said:
YEAH! Yank video and pictures. I can hardly wait.
Ditto that!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.