RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Chassis mount cleaning?

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  BrettG 
#1 ·
Yesterday I picked up the truck I bought (stole) with a 6 hole box on it. It was previously an animal control truck and is in great shape. The only issue is where the stickers were removed. There is no residue but the skin is slightly lighter in color. should I try to buff it and if so what should I buff it with. I won't get to it until Saturday but would love to hear what others have done.

#3 ·
The metal skin has not oxidized where the decals were and will likely always have a different appearance. Bar Keepers Friend is a good polish for SST and AL. It will remove the grime and some oxidation but can only do so much. Takes me 1/2 hr or less to do my 4 hole topper (8 years old?) and it looks new for months. But the decal spots are still there from the previous owner.

#6 · (Edited)
Impossible to blend without working the entire truck. Get a sign shop to design a cool graphic to go in that spot and rock that dog catcher truck like ya stole it. Lights and siren would be my first addition, you could roll up at the test blaring ac/dc or L/S and be the talk of the Interweb on Monday.

#7 ·
for a few bucks , go to a Blue Beacon Truck Wash and pay for an acid wash . See what it looks like after that . Plan B - A used box I bought I took to a sign shop that did truck lettering . He got the old lettering off and my new letters on in an afternoon .quite a bit more than Blue Beacon . Plan C - Ball Busters metal polish - a lot of big truck detailers use it .

#11 ·
There's a guy in town pimping a 70's dodge Poe-leesh car complete with bubble gum maker and syringe. I'll try to stop him for a pic next time we meet up on the road. I would seriously consider pimping a dog catcher truck but then I would need to start going to events on my weekends instead of fishing.

#12 ·
My training partner is dead set on getting the red and blue lights in the back working. I'm headed to the garage to work on the wiring for the box. Seems before it went to auction they removed all the electronics from in side the truck and cut the 3 bundles of wires that run all the interior lights, airing lights, flashing lights and fan. Dang thing has a 4000 lb winch mounted in one of the back holes, gonna take it out don't think I want to train a dog that needs a winch to get in the truck.

#13 ·
My training partner is dead set on getting the red and blue lights in the back working. I'm headed to the garage to work on the wiring for the box. Seems before it went to auction they removed all the electronics from in side the truck and cut the 3 bundles of wires that run all the interior lights, airing lights, flashing lights and fan. Dang thing has a 4000 lb winch mounted in one of the back holes, gonna take it out don't think I want to train a dog that needs a winch to get in the truck.

when people know you have a winch on your rig you become the resident AAA towing service for pulling people out of the mud when they were told to keep on the roads at a particular event

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.