RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Differences in AKC and UKC Hunt tests

3K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  MooseGooser 
#1 ·
I was wondering how many of you run AKC and UKC hunt tests and if you could give me some examples of the differences. I currently running the UKC tests and working at the finished level, but was thinking about doing some AKC tests also, maybe put some more initials by my pups name and i figure it couldn't hurt me as a handler to get more experience at running tests. What is everyone's thoughts.

#2 ·
I plan on doing this as well. A lot of people run both.

Use the search function. there are plenty of threads talking about the differences between the 2. AKC, you do not have to handle a gun at the line. that is the major difference.

#3 ·
Actually, in AKC you will/should be asked to handle a gun at the line and shoulder it when the marks are thrown.

I haven't run HRC in a very long time, but I enjoyed running the Finished tests. My old dog Kate absolutely loved them.

M

#4 ·
Although shouldering a gun in AKC what you will not be doing is shooting from the line like you would in HRC tests.

#5 · (Edited)
The main differences I see are:

1. UKC uses a real gun and poppers on the line/bucket.
AKC uses a wooden gun and shots come from the field(Must have both hands on the gun when shouldered).
2. UKC has 2 series. Even if you don't pass the first series, you get to run the second
AKC has 3 series. You must pass 1st to get to 2. Pass 2 to get to 3, pass 3 to get the ribbon and pass.
3. UKC, you can talk to your dog on line, even after calling for birds.
AKC, once you call for birds, you can't talk to your dog until the judges release you.

Just numbers tell one that it's easier to get an Finished pass than a Master because of the number of series in a test.
Other than that, I think they're very similar in concept and set up.
Both are lots of fun

#8 · (Edited)
UKC to AKC, tighten up your blinds; that is the biggest issue I see with people going from HRC to AKC. Marking and most other aspects are usually fine, but the blinds are usually sloppy, for Master work, particularly with the highly technical blinds AKC judges like to put on. Be sure to challenge the blind. Always wait for the judges to release your dog.

There's a few of "unoffical" things that judges usually require in AKC, to pass. You'll learn as you run them, they are not in the rulebook, but are "generally" understood 1) they like to see a clean triple, 2) Doesn't matter whether you handle in the AOF or Out of it, both are considered handling on a mark.

AKC to UKC, Learn to use the Gun and teach your dog to mark off of it, there are NO calls-shots in the field and they really delight in HIDING their stations. Also UKC seems to like Hot-Blinds inbtw marks more than AKC, so be aware of them.

#11 ·
Good Point, I always forget them, as our HRC clubs out here tend to have flyers ;).

#12 ·
Conceptually there is a vast difference. In AKC, at all levels, the dog is being examined for hunting skill. The handler is there well, because hunting dogs have handlers or hunters. In UKC, the dog and handler are viewed as more of a team than they are in AKC. This gives rise to being able to talk to the dog for instance. Do not get me wrong. I have not said that HRC is somehow easier. It's not. It's just that in AKC it's all about the dog whereas in UKC it's all about the teamwork.

#18 ·
you are not allowed to point out the guns in AKC hunt tests either

#19 · (Edited)
FOOD!!!! at a social...

But seriously.... heres what i think....

You train hard to prepare yourself and the dog. You study the rules,,you attend the seminars..... Discussions about the rules,,and whats different are fun and entertaining...

The real deal however is go to the test what ever venue,,and when its your turn to run,, let your training and preparation take over,,and do your absolute best job you can do.... then,, step back and let the Judge,,, judge..

If you know for a fact you and the dog did your best..What more do you want out of it?

You end up realizing,, there isnt a difference.. It becomes more, how you feel about yourself,,and the effort your dog gave you..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.