RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

DR. Tims Pursuit

6K views 32 replies 19 participants last post by  ErinsEdge 
#1 ·
What happen to this dog food. No one has it just being out is not a answer. can We start to plan on this in the future. Anyone else experience this?

#13 ·
Ive always received very quick responses as well. I'm going to stick with Dr. Tim's and just keep extra on hand.
That's what I've been doing.Their packaging is excellent, some kind of heavy weight plastic as opposed to paper. Their "use by" dates are well into the future (fresh). I'm comfortable having a back up bag. I just stay one bag ahead.

Always had quick responses to queries.

#3 ·
I was about to start switching over from Kinesis to Pursuit and saw that Chewy only had the 5lb bags available. I went ahead and purchased it and thought I could start adding it in,

I got my order in today and it only had the Kinesis and no Pusuit. It's been paid for so I'm hoping to hear something soon from Chewy.

#8 ·
The he food is probably being shipped from the Nevada warehouse. It was the last warehouse of Chewy's to have any. Check your email. I actually got 2 emails for my split order.

#5 ·
#7 ·
I actually messaged Dr. Tim. He indicates it should be back in stock next week. I got a bag from Pet Food direct. I will also tell you that I tried a bag of grain free kinesis and the food is so similar that no one got the poop monster.

#22 ·
I have a new pup (9 weeks). I spent a lot of time, including contacting Dr. Tim, looking into the correct starter food. I would not use Pursuit for very young pups. The extra protein would promote accelerated growth that is not good for structural development. The breeder started her on Iam's Naturistics. Comparing the formula to Dr. Tim's Kinesis they were very similar. My working dog does very well on Pursuit and I'll switch the pup over probably at around six to eight months just in time for next hunting season.

#28 ·
The issue is energy density. Large breed food has fewer calories so the same dog would eat more of Large breed food (337KCAL/cup) than of Kinesis (415KCAL/cup) for example. The actual amount of calcium is probably more important than %,i.e. how many grams of Ca per 1000Kcal.
If the same dog ate the same number of calories of Kinesis and of Large breed, that total calcium intake would be similar. Large breed being lower Ca but the dog eats more, Kinesis is higher in Ca but the dog eats less.

Bottom line is feeding to a lean condition. The Large Breed makes it easier for the "average" consumer to feed appropriate amounts. Most people here are much more educated about proper condition than the majority of puppy feeding public.

#29 ·
The risk of abnormal bone growth is seen occasionally with diets far in excess of 1.80%.
First of all, I would like to see that recommendation (1.2-1.8%) in print and who recommends it. I know they upped the recommendations.

Second, I have seen abnormal growth on puppies in certain lines being fed normally. They start knuckling overnight at about 8 weeks. Also too fast of growth can cause problems later on with a variety of skeletal problems. However you achieve it, you must slow growth down, but maintain enough for energy requirements. If the diet is higher in calcium but lower in calories, the puppy will over-eat and get too much calcium.

#31 ·
http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.petfoo...s_to_AAFCO_Nutrient_Profiles_051513_Final.pdf

The above was released just a few years ago and is the current standard for all puppy foods, up to Large and Giant Breeds.

National Research Council:

"Because of concerns for excess calcium to produce detrimental effects in growingdogs of large and giant breeds,10-13 the 2007 CNES deemed that additional restriction tothe maximum limit for calcium was warranted and lowered the maximum calciumconcentration to 1.8% DM. However, the AAFCO Pet Food Committee felt thatonly one maximum value should be established, especially to ensure all life stageproducts were properly formulated. Thus, the AAFCO Pet Food Committee elected toset the maximum calcium for all dog foods formulated to meet the Dog Food NutrientProfiles at 1.8% DM. The CNES retained the maximum phosphorus concentration of1.6% DM for both profiles, as well as the minimum and maximum values of 1:1 and2:1, respectively, for the calcium to phosphorus ratio."

All sporting breeds with exception of Braccos and Spinone are medium-breed dogs so with respect to Labradors and Goldens, the use of Large Breed Puppy foods is not necessary. Large Breed Puppy foods are lower in calories by the measured cup because fewer and lighter kibble pieces fit in a cup, so yes I guess that is a way for novices to feed less calories.

However, it is still a marketing gimmick because Large Breed Puppy foods are still just regular All Life Stage Foods.

#33 ·
I was looking for the minimum. "CALCIUM & PHOSPHORUS
The CNES decreased the recommended minimum concentration of calcium and
phosphorus in the Adult Maintenance Profile by 0.1% to 0.5% and 0.4%, respectively.
The current recommended minimum concentrations are 0.1% more than the RA for
calcium and phosphorus on a DM basis for adult maintenance in the 2006 NRC but
consistent with the concentrations in the FEDIAF Guidelines. The CNES increased the
minimum calcium and phosphorus concentrations in the Growth and Reproduction
Profile to 1.2% and 1.0%, respectively, consistent with the 2006 NRC RA and
FEDIAF Guidelines. The CNES recommended that the calcium and phosphorus in
growth formulas for the large-bred or large-size dogs be allowed to decrease to 0.9%
and 0.75%, respectively, while still being judged to meet the Growth and Reproduction
Nutrient Profile. However, based on comments and a publication10 demonstrating that
some diets containing 0.88% to 1.04% Ca on a DM basis (2.2 to 2.6 g Ca/1000 kcal
ME) when fed to medium- or large-breed puppies produced inhibited growth in 10-
week growth studies compared to diets containing between 1.3 to 1.8% Ca, the
AAFCO Pet Food Committee elected to keep the minimum recommended calcium and
phosphorus concentrations in the Growth and Reproduction Nutrient Profile at 1.2%
and 1.0%, respectively, for all dog food products "

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.