The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Repeat Breedings ?

Default Repeat Breedings ?

I've seen repeat breedings where the entire litter ended up being washed out. Breedings where the first litter produced several early AFC's and some FC's. So, in my book, repeat breedings don't always mean that they will be the same quality pups.

Would you venture to say that repeat breedings are very or somewhat unpredictable? I know NFC Chopper was from a repeat breeding, with two AA titled dogs being a result of those two breedings.

Are repeat breedings even worth looking at in regards of increasing one's chances of getting a potential superstar?

Not that I'm looking for a pup, just that I got into this converstaion recently.
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

Banned

Default Re: Repeat Breedings ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Booty
    I've seen repeat breedings where the entire litter ended up being washed out. Breedings where the first litter produced several early AFC's and some FC's. So, in my book, repeat breedings don't always mean that they will be the same quality pups.

Would you venture to say that repeat breedings are very or somewhat unpredictable? I know NFC Chopper was from a repeat breeding, with two AA titled dogs being a result of those two breedings.

Are repeat breedings even worth looking at in regards of increasing one's chances of getting a potential superstar?

Not that I'm looking for a pup, just that I got into this converstaion recently.
    Yes,,,, Give me a repeat anyday. When making a purchase I like all the information I can get.

Angie

Booty, I think some of the difference you may be seeing between the first and repeat litters is that the A-list trainers and owners get the first litter and the B-List get the repeats.

I got a puppy from the first breeding of Code Blue and Lean Cuisine. I loved her (Mootsie). I got a puppy from the second breeding of Code Blue and Lean Cuisine. I loved him (Mozzie). If they had bred Kweezy to Code Blue again, I would have gotten a third puppy.

I got a puppy from the first breeding of Chopper and Maggie McBunn. That puppy, Va Va, is less than a year old, but I love her. I saw the breeders, Frank Baird and Mike Cicero, at the Rockport Trial and already put in a reservation for another puppy when they repeat the breeding (one to two years away)

I like repeat breedings.

I also think Ken's hypothesis is wrong. The repeat of a proven breeding is likely to attract more, not less proven competitors.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

It's a phenomenon that can't be predicted but it does happen sometimes-one litter is better than the other. Sometimes it's due to where the puppy goes but sometimes it just doesn't. Sometimes bitches are better than studs in the litter or vice-versa. On the other hand, sometimes the repeat is better. It's always a crapshoot, but a repeat stacks the odds in your favor over the unknown. I have great respect for repeats or good bitches that have produced from multiple sires.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

ken, your theory is wrong. you must also remember that lots of a-list people don't waste time with puppies. they put 5 and 6 figure prices out there on the right dogs and skip the washing process.
    ________
    DRUG TESTING KIT
    Last edited by pistol; 02-20-2011 at 04:22 AM.

Repeat breedings lessen the odds on getting a good one -- more info one has the better a decision one can make -- I also look for a bloodline that is consistently competitive as well as suited to my needs/abilities -- as discussed in previous thread, these can sometimes go to very select homes and be sold well before litter is born (obviously this is the case when both parents titled and/or proven producers)
    "When dogs make mistakes, don't hold it against the dog! Point the finger at yourself." -- Rex Carr

Happiness is puppy breath!!!!!

"FC" stands for Friend and Companion!!!!!

Ducksoup Kennels
    Home Of The Springwaters Quick To Maxx (my "FC")
    Mike Ormsby, Ontario, Canada

To answer your question I would say they are only somewhat unpredictable - not very unpredictable. Each dog is different, but a repeat means you have the additional information of what the combination of these two gene pools can produce.

And to your other question I would say they definitely increase your chances for getting a potential superstar. Of course there is no guarantee, but your chances are certainly better than simply guessing on something totally new.

Hey, Ted and Pistol, are you related to my wife? I can hear that all the time at home.

Personally I'm looking at a repeat breeding -- first litter just over a year old but mostly with pros (different pros) -- heard good reports back about each dog -- so have an idea of what to expect
    "When dogs make mistakes, don't hold it against the dog! Point the finger at yourself." -- Rex Carr

Happiness is puppy breath!!!!!

"FC" stands for Friend and Companion!!!!!

Ducksoup Kennels
    Home Of The Springwaters Quick To Maxx (my "FC")
    Mike Ormsby, Ontario, Canada