The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Rescue on Mt. Hood

Default Another Rescue on Mt. Hood

Did you hear about the climbers trapped on Mt. Hood (yes, again)? It was a happy ending this time. The difference was the locator beacon they had and...their black lab, Velvet. Rescuers say the dog probably saved their lives by lying across the top of them at night,

Check it out.

http://www.katu.com/news/5941936.html
    Ron
    www.portlandlabrador.com
    A Lab has no appreciation for the artistic value of a bonsai tree, but does appreciate their potential as chew toys.

Dog was the only smart one in the bunch. She brought a coat that could handle the cold...

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

What moron takes a dog mountaineering?

I been thinking that these participate in extreme sports should post a bond of some type to help with expense of rescue, otherwise the public is paying for the rescue.
    cave canem...beware of the dog
    Richard Halstead (halst001 at yahoo.com)

http://www.browndogmafia.com/finalists.html

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

I just saw a clip from the rescue showing the dog. It's black but had pointy ears.....might be part black lab. More than likely a case of a reporter sees a black dog and assumes it is a black lab instead of getting his facts straight.

Glad they all came off the mountain ok this time.
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Halstead
    I been thinking that these participate in extreme sports should post a bond of some type to help with expense of rescue, otherwise the public is paying for the rescue.
    I was thinking the same thing. Not only do they cost tax payers money but they risk live of others to save the lives these idiots. If they want excitement they should stay home and play russian roulette.
    "Communism only works in Heaven, where they don't need it, and in Hell, where they already have it" Ronald Reagan

These idiots they go out and climb a wall at a sporting goods store and think their mountain climbers then go out in the middle of the winter and risk their own lives plus the potential lives of rescuers! I think if you do something so blatantly extreme for thrills your on your own!
    Peake - Who thinks training Chessies is extreme enough for me. :P
    ________
    Shemale videos
    Last edited by Peake; 03-25-2011 at 05:20 PM.

I agree with this. There should be some fiscal responsibility for the participants.

Some of the other comments I will say, that just because you are not personally interested in it doesn't make it dumb, moronic, silly etc...

You know it seems that at times we can't accept things that don't orbit around ME-centric world and it gets old.
    He's got a little Mississippi Leg-Hound in him. Once he starts though, it's best to just let him finish.

Be careful what you wish for. How many of you duck hunt? Would you like to post a bond to duck hunt the mississipp or the great lakes. There are plenty of unpublicized rescues on these bodies of waters annually.

I totally agree MF.

As for mountaineering w/ a dog, Mount Hood is a walk up for Pete's sake. It's not a technical climb. It's the weather and the snow that are the main risk factors this time of the year. No problem for a dog, obviously.

Do you guys who want to start charging for going into the backcountry or climbing, want to start charging for hunters tracking game in the backcountry too??? There are lost hunters that have to be rescued too you know..
    Maybe we should start charging for anyone to walk in the woods.. My gosh! They could fall and break their ankle on the trails and then we'd have to get someone to bring them out!

Wouldn't you help someone lost? I think you would. Many of the Search and Rescue people are skilled in the backcountry themselves. That's what makes them good. I doubt they'd want to set up barriers to getting out.

Family of climbers, backpackers and off-trail hikers regards,

Bente