RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Leg muscle cramp or cruciate ligament injury

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Erin Lynes 
#1 ·
After exercise whether it being high or low energy output my dog Ripple (8.5 years) does not put her left back leg down for a few steps. Usually in a dozen or so steps she appears fine and has a normal gait in be it a slow walk, trot or sprinting. She is trained every day without exception and is fit. She has on one previous occasion exhibited this once before and was checked by a very competent and experienced veterinarian and found to have no issue with the cruciate ligament. I would appreciate hearing from any who have experienced this with your dogs.

#2 ·
Dogs with ccl issues may display intermittent weight bearing issues. After training may display total non-weight bearing. As in reluctance to place normal weight on foot. Barely toching toes.
When standing after period of rest does your dog outrigger rear leg? Placing it outward/rearward? Standing on tippy to?
When your dog sits does it sit normally with both legs under body? Or does it place leg outward or tuck leg under body lying on ankle?

#3 ·
Whether sitting or laying down with her head erect she is shows no outward sign of anything abnormal in her positioning of her legs. She does not display any "outrigger" stance or movement standing or walking. She does not walk "tippy" toe on the leg.
She showed this symptom after our regular 45 minute brisk walk and obedience training and her running with a with stick and playing with a young 8 month old pup intermixed with obedience. After that she gets a one and half to tw hour rest before setting up for more formal field marks and blinds. That is the daily routine, occasionally up training her at 5:30 in the morning for long marks and blinds.
the dog has not had a down day for health issues in her life.
She weighs 57-58 pounds.

#4 ·
I had one that held his leg up after training and I scratched a trial to see if it was a strain. He was rested over winter. In spring, was fine, but on 1st bird of a triple, came in on 3 legs. It was a partial tear that went full. He had surgery was about 7 1/2. I had another that started holding his leg up intermittently after training and I quit training him and it never ripped more and he was about 9. It's really hard to diagnose a partial tear.

#6 · (Edited)
In reviewing my notes, she got 5 land blinds first thing in the morning; short ones to 125 yds and long ones to 400 plus yds. Rest followed by 45 minute brisk walkout with the pup which involves obedience and romping with the pup. Romping being everything from "tug-o-war" with stick as they run down the hiking trail in dual. After completion of the walk and it was alternating steadiness marks with honoring with the pup. 5 hours crate rest and then two long water blinds followed by 2 and half to 3 hours crate rest followed by 5 walk around water blind the longest being 140 yds. In reflection this was a big day for the dog. I am inclined to think it may be what inflamed sheath around her superficial digital flex-or tendons. She has experienced this once before following a long grouse hunt and and latter pre-national training on long land marks. That was 10 months ago. Treatment was rest, laser therapy and water blinds with no big water entries permitted. This was a two week regime which resulted in full recovery just in time for the National

#8 · (Edited)
All rear limb lamenesses should be considered cruciate related until proved otherwise. That being said cruciate injuries create joint inflammation and affected dogs will not fully flex the stifle (knee) so when they sit their posture is altered, they turn the stifle and foot outward and avoid fully flexing the stifle which is necessary to sit straight.

#9 · (Edited)
Ironwood,
Can you tell where exactly your dog is feeling pain?
Have you examined the nails, paw, poked, twisted and pulled on the various joints?
There are lots of youtube videos on doing ortho exams.
Do them after the dog has lain around for awhile to stiffen up and get sore.
This is not a young dog. Bemindful of that. Middle age can bring on all sorts of chronic aches and pains regardless of conditioning.
If you can identify the source of pain, and it is not a cracked nail or torn pad, then rest, ice and sometimes over the counter NSAiDs work great for home use on painful joints. Do a search for dosage.
If things fail to improve then seek a full diagnostic work up and x-rays at your vet.
Chris

#10 ·
Hey Ironwood, my dog was doing something similar over the last while. VERY subtle lameness on one rear leg- his showed up at the end of a busy day for only a few steps. Like everyone else I worried/assumed CCL and so when it showed up again after a good dose of rest and limited activity I had him checked out. Knee is fine, but there was a strain to his pectineus (groin/hip stabilizing muscle). We did some ultrasound therapy and stretches as prescribed by physiotherapist, a gradual return to activity, and so far, seem to be doing good. Another dog I had that did this intermittently for a while had a rotated pelvis which the chiropractor diagnosed returned to normal and he was instantly better and has been fine since. If you have someone who can go over Ripple with a fine toothed comb, you may find some itty bitty thing is off and causing this problem.... hopefully that can be easily rectified. Almost anything is better than a CCL tear it seems.

#11 ·
Folks,
Thanks for the advice and your thoughtful comments. I will have her into the veterinarian on Tuesday. I will keep you posted. In the mean time it is rest for her. I am not sure who is more anxious to get back training her or me.

#12 ·
I have a dog recovering from cruciate ligament surgery. We are about 4 weeks post op. Range of motion is good, walking 15 minutes or so 3 times a day, doing figure eights, sit stand exercises, and sitting against the wall with the affected leg. Sometimes the dog will sit tight like it's supposed to and sometimes it has the leg out. Sometimes it walks straight and sometimes with the leg out.

The hardest part of all this is containing his energy. He has not been off lead outside since the surgery. He wants to run. This weekend we are going to start swimming for a few minutes.

The point of my response is really to let you know if your dog requires surgery it is a quite lengthy recovery period with lots of different exercises along the way but you do get to work on obedience.

#14 · (Edited)
Ripple was examined for nearly 50 minutes last Wednesday by Dr. Connard in Victoria. Very thorough going over; flexing, stretching observation static and kinetic. Temperature normal, heart good. Knee joints stable. I passed on having x-rays and ultra sound done. The veterinarian found an infusion in the left rear leg at the hock joint. Prescription: Meloxicam for 10-12 days given once a day with food, rest and on leash walks. So far no sign of lameness or holding her foot off the ground.

#15 ·
Excellent news! hopefully that is the end of it for her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.