The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Puppy Buyer background checks - HOW?

Default Puppy Buyer background checks - HOW?

I know most of us come from the other point of view – how to check out a breeder. What I would like to know is those of you that breed what do you do in terms of back ground checks on prospective puppy buyers. I have a litter coming soon and have a couple things I have done that have helped including – use people search on Entry Express to see if they have used the service, do a Google search of phone numbers & name and do a search on Good Dog info for their name. Of course I ask them questions but I’ve found there are some really good liars out there and they are the people I want to avoid the most. I’m not trying to be exclusive just protective of my pups. I’ve worked very hard to do this “right” and it would really make me mad to have some unscrupulous person take advantage of one of my pups and me. Puppy mills and bad breeders are like the drug trade – It can be controlled on both ends Supply and Demand. I don’t want to be the Supply! (first time post so cut me some slack if I messed this post up)

You didn't mess any post up. I think it's a valid point and you've got some good ideas already. I can't offer you much more than go with your gut. My last pup I bought strictly through email. Both the breeder and I had each other's phone numbers and were comfortable with the sale. If your prospective buyers are close (I was state's away) then meet them in person and judge for yourself. If breeder's provide references to buyers, you could always ask the buyers for references. But usually you get that feeling about people that aren't a good fit.

Good luck with your pups.

Kourtney
    Kiela
    Tigress Midnight Wind Stalker (pending)

Remington's Black Powder Jasper - Jasper
    February 25, 2004 - March 24, 2006

Boscoe
    March 15, 2006 - April 19, 2007
    http://boscoegrowsup.blogspot.com

Jason - no real advice, but like the litter you have advertised and can't blame you for being selective - personal references are a good way to go...

Lainee
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Jason -

Just reserve holes on Paul's truck for all those puppies. Then, the new owner gets the puppy and a training contract.... you won't have to worry about where they end up.......

You have a wonderful bitch and I understand your feelings. I also wouldn't hesitate contacting the pro, if they state they use one, and see how much that person has really used that pro. Sometimes there's a difference.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Kristie Wilder

ooooo, this is my department!

Everything you listed, plus get references from retriever people they know. And if they don't have any, but claim to run HT or FT, post on RTF that you need feedback from someone from such and such area (without posting person's name) and find out if there's a reason they don't have references...

It's a small small world, so unless someone's just starting out, you should be able to find someone that knows them.

-K

Hi Jason,

I don’t really know the answer to your questions about checking out puppy buyers but I do want to say welcome from another Green Bay’er! I’m not a field trailer (would like to some day when time and money allow) but I noticed on your web site that you hit the big water of the bay, maybe we’ll run in to you some time. I do a lot of training out by Long Tail during the hot summer months and during the season we can usually be found around Little Tail.

Nice litter by the way!

If they have ever had a dog in the past get vet referances and also personal referances and call them. I agree with whateverone else has said too but I would definatly check vet referances.

Jana

Maybe that's why a lot of people use limited registration..

If you're worried that someone might be buying a pup so they can set up a purebred breeding program and breed the heck out of your pup, that might be the way to go..

If it's someone you know and personally and respect as a good dog person, then I'd sell the pup with full registration.

of course, I've never had a litter of pups, so what do I know?

bp

With the litter I have now, I relied primarily on long conversations with the prospective buyers by telephone or face-to-face, not just email. Personal references are good, although I am more interested in vet references. I've followed up with a fairly continuous stream of correspondence with each of the buyers over the last several weeks. I tell them how the pups are doing and send them photos. I pay attention to what responses I receive. I've encouraged any buyers in the area to visit the pups repeatedly. That lets them see the pups and lets me see how the buyers interact with the pups and with my grown dogs. I figure that if I become uncomfortable at any point I will simply return their deposit. I don't want to be left feeling that I've sold one of MY pups down the river.

You have to decide if you are committed to having dogs go to field trial homes or not. I think most field trial quality litters have a mix of FT/HT prospects, hunting dogs, and companion dogs so I would prefer to have a mix of buyers. For those who are only interested in FT prospects, I want to have an idea of what will happen to the dog if it is a washout. While it is my hope to breed dogs that can compete successfully at the national level, I would rather know that my dogs will have a happy home regardless of their abilities.

Default Re: Puppy Buyer background checks - HOW?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Gillette
    I know most of us come from the other point of view – how to check out a breeder. What I would like to know is those of you that breed what do you do in terms of back ground checks on prospective puppy buyers. I have a litter coming soon and have a couple things I have done that have helped including – use people search on Entry Express to see if they have used the service, do a Google search of phone numbers & name and do a search on Good Dog info for their name. Of course I ask them questions but I’ve found there are some really good liars out there and they are the people I want to avoid the most. I’m not trying to be exclusive just protective of my pups. I’ve worked very hard to do this “right” and it would really make me mad to have some unscrupulous person take advantage of one of my pups and me. Puppy mills and bad breeders are like the drug trade – It can be controlled on both ends Supply and Demand. I don’t want to be the Supply! (first time post so cut me some slack if I messed this post up)

Yours has got to be the best "1st post" I've ever seen!

You are already doing ALOT more than most reputable breeders do.

One thing you can do that will help to eliminate alot of the pretenders is to sell the pups with a limited registration. You want to put a clause in the sales contract that when the pup reaches a certain level of performance titles and health clearances, then you will sign the papers so they can "upgrade" to a full registration.

This is exactly what I do. Note that I do not charge extra for the "upgrade" - I figure if they meet the requirements, they have spent enough $. Plus, I'm not doing it to make another buck; I'm doing it to protect the breed.
    --
    Chris Barnes