RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

How long and how much before you let go?

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Zoe's next 
#1 ·
Ive got a 12 yr old Labrador that has lived her life to the fullest even with the ACL,Patella surgeries. Wednesday she looked tired did not want to play with the pup, Wednesday night she vomits on the floor a couple times while we were sleeping, Thursday morning will not eat her cookies before going out to the kennel drinking water though, Thursday afternoon I get home and she has vomit in her kennel again and is very lethargic will not eat dog food so I try a piece of steak and a hot dog NO DICE, vomit again Thursday night still drinking not eating, Friday morning very lethargic to the point where she went out P'd and layed down :( Off to the vet we go, she spent the day yesterday and last night at the vet and the 2x we talked with the vet they have no idea, they have Xrayed,blood tested,ultra sounded, to no avail. I am at $ 1350.00 right now with no end in sight, how long would you hang on? At what point do you say enough is enough, at this rate by midweek I will be staring down at a 5k bill and the end result could very well be the end of the line for my girl, this has me torn up and I cannot think clearly at this point :(

#2 ·
Only you can say when enough is enough. Doesn't sound like age is the factor in the dogs problem, from my point of view. From what you described, sounds like the vet isn't helping you out any! If that vet can't find the cause, you might try another opinion. Just an opinion from the outside looking in! Good Luck!

G
#3 ·
If it were me... And let me preface this by saying we've only had to make the decision to euthanize once (cancer that was inoperable and dog had become immobile).

I would spend what I needed to get an answer... If it was going to involve invasive surgery, I may or may not do it depending on the physical condition of the dog and the liklihood that the dog would come out of it. I don't want a dog to die on the table if it's a highly probable outcome.

I could not just euthanize a dog because it was vomiting and lethargic. BUT if it went unanswered and dog was suffering, I suppose we might. And then do a necropsy after.

I would hate for you to euthanize and find out she had gotten into something that she just needed a few days to recover from... at the same time, her lethargy seems severe.

If I were you, I'd get a referral to Tufts or whatever university clinic is closest and take one last try at it...

Question... Did they give her any fluids or meds to help temporarily?

I hate it for you. I'll be praying she feels better soon.

-Kristie

#4 ·
Kristie Wilder said:
If it were me...

I would spend what I needed to get an answer... If it was going to involve invasive surgery, I may or may not do it depending on the physical condition of the dog and the liklihood that the dog would come out of it. I don't want a dog to die on the table if it's a highly probable outcome.

I could not just euthanize a dog because it was vomiting and lethargic. BUT if it went unanswered and dog was suffering, I suppose we might. And then do a necropsy after.

I would hate for you to euthanize and find out she had gotten into something that she just needed a few days to recover from... at the same time, her lethargy seems severe.

If I were you, I'd get a referral to Tufts or whatever university clinic is closest and take one last try at it...

Question... Did they give her any fluids or meds to help temporarily?

I hate it for you. I'll be praying she feels better soon.

-Kristie

First and foremost, only you can make the decision. Period. All we can do is say "what I would do is..."

So here is my "what I would do":

I would definitely want a diagnosis too. Kristie pretty much sums up my input. And I too, would seek another opinion.

Good luck, I know it's a terrible decision to make, and one that has touched most of us on RTF.

Lydia

#5 ·
whwn

If you only had the hindsight now that you 'll have in two weeks. But unfortunately it doesn't work that way. When the diagnosis is not a quick thing, the bills stack up. I always admired a vet because their patients can't tell them what's wrong or where it hurts and how. All they have is their training and experience. Whatever you decide, it will be the right decision for you. If it were me, with a twelve year old, I'd say goodbye while crying like a baby. I have tears in my eyes as I type this. My wife would most likely give you a totally different answer. With dogs, as like people, I like remembering how they lived. Coincidently I was at my vets today for annual vaccinations, blood test and fecal flotation. I commented to him as to how it was easier to treat a healthy dog vs. a sick one. His response was, "you'ld be surprised at how many people bring theier pets in on their death bed and expect you to bring them back. It never works." I don't think you have anything to be ashamed of in how your dog has been cared for and what it means to you. I hope he perks up. Good luck.

#6 ·
I am not ready to give up on her just yet and the vet she is being treated at is full of surgeons and the like, when your dog needs something that other vets won't touch this is where you bring it, I do believe they are affiliated with tufts. I guess I am just preparing for the worst, if Monday rolls around and there is no improvement that will be day # 5 with no improvement and I am sure at that point they will be grasping at straws all the while the register keeps ringing. She has been on an IV 10 minutes after getting to the office Friday morning not sure on meds I don't think so though as I am sure they don't want to cloud the issue while testing and trying to find the problem, all of her bloodwork and tests have come back just slightly elevated the vet basically said if a healthy dog came in with those levels it would not be a concern. It won't be easy either way I have come to grips with it all as she is 12 and has been hunted pretty hard both upland and waterfowl, one thing I will not let happen is her to go on in pain or any less capable than she was last Tuesday this dog has way too much heart for that.

G
#7 ·
MaLabhuntr said:
I am not ready to give up on her just yet and the vet she is being treated at is full of surgeons and the like, when your dog needs something that other vets won't touch this is where you bring it, I do believe they are affiliated with tufts. I guess I am just preparing for the worst, if Monday rolls around and there is no improvement that will be day # 5 with no improvement and I am sure at that point they will be grasping at straws all the while the register keeps ringing. She has been on an IV 10 minutes after getting to the office Friday morning not sure on meds I don't think so though as I am sure they don't want to cloud the issue while testing and trying to find the problem, all of her bloodwork and tests have come back just slightly elevated the vet basically said if a healthy dog came in with those levels it would not be a concern. It won't be easy either way I have come to grips with it all as she is 12 and has been hunted pretty hard both upland and waterfowl, one thing I will not let happen is her to go on in pain or any less capable than she was last Tuesday this dog has way too much heart for that.
I thought about it after I asked you about any meds they might be doing... And from what I understand, it could affect their ability to diagnose the problem.

We're pulling for you guys. I hope to come back and see good news. We'll be thinking about you and praying for you. Hang in there...

-Kristie

#8 ·
When my first lab reached the age of 13 (about 20 years ago), she began to lose weight dramatically. It turned out to be pancreatic cancer. I let the vet do a pancreatectomy. She never really recovered. The surgery was major and the cancer had metastasized. About six months later I put her down. I always regretted having done the surgery because it made the last months of her life less comfortable. It may or may not have let her live a little longer.

With the many dogs and cats I've had since then, I try to ask myself whether I am doing something that can make the animal better able to enjoy life or if I am simply doing it to make myself feel better as I try to wish away the inevitable. Now I take comfort in knowing that each of my animals has died in my lap (with the exception of a 19 yo cat that committed suicide). In some cases I had the vet help them on their way and in others I let nature take its course as long as I could make my friend comfortable. Only you can decide when enough is enough. You have all of our sympathy since in this place you are surrounded by people who do understand what you are going through.

#11 ·
I would have a low threshhold for putting her down. What is the best that can be gained (a year or two at most) and what will it cost in terms of pain for the both of you? This is a horribly difficult situation. I write this just to alleviate the obvious guilt you'll have if you have to put her down as this opinion has not been offered much in reply. It's not wrong to put her down if she doesn't improve soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.