The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solution for Hot Weather Transport/Training w/ Truck Cap

Default Solution for Hot Weather Transport/Training w/ Truck Cap

I have a truck cap on my truck and my dog (only 1 dog) rides in his crate in the back of the truck. Today it was only about 72 degrees and it was pretty hot in there. I'm concerned about my dog sitting around all day in that thing at some hunt tests as the weather continues to get warmer.

My truck cap has a sliding window that matches the sliding rear window in my truck, so I had the idea of running the A/C in my truck and using a small 12 volt fan to pull the air from the truck cab into the cap. I know I read a thread on here about that last summer, but I can't find it. A search on "fan" doesn't get it and a search on "fan AND window" doesn't get it either.

While searching the internet for 12 volt fans I came upon an item called "KoolerAire" and it looks pretty slick if it works as advertised...and I already have an item just like the portable power supply that they sell for it, so I wouldn't even need to buy that, just the KoolerAire unit itself. I have included a link for the KoolerAire unit.http://www.kooleraire.com/index.htm

So I have 2 questions for the RTF community:

1) What can you tell me about the original solution I had in mind?
    2) Do you have any experience with or thoughts about the KoolerAire unit to cool my truck bed/cap for my dog?

Thanks!

P.S. I know I could just stake him out, but even then it can be very hot and at a dog event like that I would worry greatly about someone running over him...with people hurrying to and from different stakes, etc.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

I have been thinking a lot about this because I just got a cap for my truck. I am in Florida so HOTT is a problem. I know a number of people that use caps and crates and simply have fans pushing the air around. I am going to use wire crates so there is good air flow all around the dogs and as many fans as I can. I am also thinking about insulating the top of the cap with either some of that reflective space blanket stuff of Styrofoam just to keep some of the heat from coming through the top of the cap. From what I have seen good air flow is the key because hopefully you will not have the dogs out in extreme heat anyway ( I quit training @ 85 degs so I can get them home before the temperature gets too high in the box).
    As to your first idea, it works in theory but because there is really little or no insulation you are trying to cool a large area with a small a/c. I have yet to see this work very well even with one cap that was build to seal to the front slide window so you could do just what you describe. This is kind of like trying to a/c and big un-insulated warehouse with a window a/c. Remember too that the cap is not sealed and is constantly letting air in/out so most of the cool air your blowing is going out the seal of the rear window.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

My shell windows flip open on both sides as well as the back. I leave everything open when when stopped and wedge a bumper in the side windows held closed with a bungee to get more circulation when moving. I also have 12 volt fans from walmart for 7 bucks wired into the lights for the shell. If for some reason I have to have the dogs in there when its really hot I'll put a block of ice in the kennel with them.

I find that in the summer in a pick up with a cap Wire Crates give the most air flow.. I also put in 2 liter bottles of frozen water and i have a big 12 volt fan that is 3 x the size of the crate fans,found it at a conformation show.And i also put a reflective space blanket on top of the cap to help block the sun when i can not find shade to park in
    Ken Adamik
    Lil Dikens Kennels

The big box home improvement stores sell rolls of reflective insulation that is thin and can be easily glued inside the shell to keep the heat down. It looks a lot like a space blanket and isn't too expensive.

Fans are a must but invest in a Deep Cycle battery. DO NOT wire fans into the shell lighting. If you don't want an extra battery, run the proper size wire from fuse panel in your truck. Using existing wiring for lights is asking for a vehicle fire. Blowing cool air from your cab will help some just from the increased air circulation but it won't keep it cool long once it is shut off.

You can go the whole nine yards with a battery isolator and set up so your alternator charges your deep cycle or do what I did and buy a trickle charger and mount it to the battery and plug it when you get home.

I have a pick-up with a topper. The topper has the gull wing type doors. This summer I had a hand crank vent with a rain cap installed on the theory that hot air rises and this wil give it somewhere to go. I also do the stick a bumper in side of the windows and have a cab window from the truck, as well.

I also run a 12 volt fan from a small gel deep cycle battery - Endless Breeze is the name of the fan. I bring the battery in every few days and charge it back up. The fan will run for round 30 hours before the battery is out.

Ice in the buckets and blocks work well. I also use wire crates for maximum ventilation.

The crates sit up off the floor on a platform, so the crates are sitting 4 inches or so below the window openings. The dogs get the most breeze avaliable.

With this set-up, my dogs are cooler than they were in my panel van.

The key is to keep the air moving and get the hot air out. Before I put in the roof vent, my endless breeze was used as an exhaust fan and pulled air out.

Carol

I've had the ultimate tester. The boss - refusing to put the boys where it was too hot - rode in the back of the truck, where the crates were to go, on a hot 90+ South Carolina day until she was satisfied with our set-up. We run a fan on each crate (2) that has a cord to the power plug in the truck. I run them all day at a trial with no problem. On the road, I run them and have the side windows propped open by resting on the open latches and the front of the cap slider window open. Park in the shade and keep the air moving. I've tried the A/C with the rear sliders open, but I'm not sure how much air gets back there. Hope that helps.

p.s. I agree with the platform. I think it helps get the crates into the airflow better

Default Re: Solution for Hot Weather Transport/Training w/ Truck Cap

Quote Originally Posted by HuntinDawg
    I have a truck cap on my truck and my dog (only 1 dog) rides in his crate in the back of the truck. Today it was only about 72 degrees and it was pretty hot in there. I'm concerned about my dog sitting around all day in that thing at some hunt tests as the weather continues to get warmer.

My truck cap has a sliding window that matches the sliding rear window in my truck, so I had the idea of running the A/C in my truck and using a small 12 volt fan to pull the air from the truck cab into the cap. I know I read a thread on here about that last summer, but I can't find it. A search on "fan" doesn't get it and a search on "fan AND window" doesn't get it either.

Thanks!
    Endless Breeze Fan: do a search on ebay they run about $60-$80, put it in your rear truck window and open up the cap window. Turn your a/c and the fan on and your a/c will get pumped into the rear while you're driving. For time sitting in the truck open all windows including the back, close the window to the cab and move the fan at an angle near the truck cab, keeping it in the shade. It will move cool air to your dog, for even cooler air place a bag of ice sitting in a shallow tub in front of the fan. Dump melted ice water into your dogs bowl.

Hope this helps.
    I reside on the left coast, but my ideals are right wing.
    LQP CN Double Hunter, SH (09/12/1996-12/22/2010)
    Waterstrike's Dynamic Amazon, MH (10/18/2000-09/08/2011)

Climate controlled crate.

http://www.komfortpets.com/

This is the ultimate solution. Large models will be out this summer.

I had the same problem and found that a space blanket worked well reflecting the sun away. I have a thermometer in the back and when I put the space balnket bungee`d to the cap, the temp went down about 10 degrees. I am in the process of settign up a fan in the roof to exhaust heat out after the snow is all melted up here in the North country. The combination of the fan exhausting the heat and the space blanket should drop the temps to a better living condition. I bought an electric radiator fan on ebay for $20 and a small hood scoop for another $20, and it doesn`t look too dorky. I will have the fan running from 2 places, I put a cigarette lighter plug at the end of the wire so I can plug it in to either the truck battery which is wired with a fuse on a female cigarette lighter plug, or I can bring my battery jumper box along and run it off that after charging it up.
    Northstar Retrievers

www.Northstar-Retrievers.com