The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MN Dpg Law

Default MN Dpg Law

Here is a link to a summary of a MN law, an attempt to regulate kennels, numbers of intact females and housing.

http://pub12.bravenet.com/forum/976632990/fetch/623441/

I am planning on going, is any one else going?

I think we all need to stick together on this one!

Matt Peters
    Matt Peters
    Topshelf Retrievers

If I get back to the airport in time I'll stop by on the way home. In the meantime I'm sending Emails to the committee members.

Senior Member Mike Peters-labguy23's Avatar

I can't make it but I did send an email off to all the people on the commitee. I hope they rethink this one.
    Mike Peters

I can see that they are trying to regulate everything nowadays...I'm going to look into it more too.

Carrie
    Carrie Carlson

Carlsons Harley Davidson CGC "Harley"
    and the corginess...
    Ebonwald's Blazing A Trail "Scout" RIP good buddy...
    UKC CH Ebonwald’s Debts Of The Heart "Daphne” (AKC major pointed)

Here is a copy of the letter I have sent out to our senetors.

I will be going tomarrow if anyone else would like to add anything.

To whom this may concern,

I have many concerns and do not agree with the bill for an act relating to animals providing standard of care for dog and cat breeders.

In this bill you are considering a person with 6 or more intact females over the age of 20 weeks as breeders. Most ethical people who do breed their dogs won’t breed a dog until 2 years of age and until they have received all health clearances applying to their breed. They will also wait until this time to decide if the dog is breedable and has breedable qualities. Others who compete their dogs in competitions will never breed a dog until it has titled, which can take 2-7 years. These people may all have more then 6 intact females over the age of 20 weeks and never breed or may only have a few litters in their lives and should not be considered a breeder.

This bill needs to look at the big picture, such as the number of litters a person has a year and the number of females they are using to have all these litters with. If you have 10 litters a year but only have 5 females and do this on a regular basis, this would be considered unethical breeding practices no matter how good your facilities are. Where as if you have 10 litters a year and have 10 females all of which having 1 litter is expectable. Most females have 2 heat cycles a year, but this doesn’t apply to all dogs, some will only have 1 heat cycle in 18 months. For these dogs this legislation is stating I can only breed them once every 3 years.

Another concern I have is with section 9.1 Subd 16 Females and Litters.
    Puppies have teeth by 5 weeks of age and should be weaned from the mother by this time. To leave gnawing puppies in with the mother is cruel and will cause injury to not only the mother but to the puppies.

This section also states puppies should not be sold before 8 weeks of age. This is also very untrue statement. Some puppies are mature enough at 6 weeks to be placed in new homes. Yet others are not ready until they are 9-12 weeks depending on breed and maturity levels of individual puppies. For working breeds such as retrievers it is common knowledge and practice for puppies to be placed in new homes at 7 weeks. This practice betters the human and puppy bonding process.

In section 6.12 Subd 4 Indoor Confinement Areas
    I do agree with having sizes but there are always exceptions to the rule. Some dogs in a bigger kennel, even though appropriate for their size, will only pace around until exhausted or their feet are raw. This can happen even when exercised appropriately well in excess in proposed exercised times 8.19 Subd 13.

In section 7.5 Subd 7 Drainage it states animals must be removed from confinement area when a hose or pressure washer is used and must not be returned to that area until area is dry.
    Where do you propose these dogs go until the area is dry? Do you realize how long this may take even with appropriate climate conditions? Most kennels will clean their dog runs at least one, if not more times a day and as needed for messy dogs. Would the dogs be better off in a run that is damp or one that is soiled?

In section 6.1 it states animals may not be tethered or leashed as a means of confinement.
    This should state unsupervised. After working the dogs I always stake my dogs out on a portable chain, this allows them to relax, cool down, and dry off. I am never far away, but my dogs may be on the chains for 2-4 hours.

In section 9.29 Subd 19 Identification it states dogs 16 weeks of age or older must have an identification tag with a unique tracking number attached to a properly fitting collar.
    A lot of people have microchips or tattoos placed on or in their dog. I do not like using collars on my dogs especially when unsupervised. Collars around a dog’s neck can cause strangulation. This can happen when you are out hunting, exercising, in the kennel, or while training. You can check on your dogs 50 times a day but it only takes seconds for them to strangle themselves.

In conclusion we believe this bill will only hinder those applying moral, ethical, and humane breeding and animal husbandry practices. This bill will not affect puppy mills due to their lack of compliance with ordinances already in place, nor will it affect pet stores, boarding kennels or breeders with less then 6 intact females. Just because you have less then 6 intact females doesn’t make your practices or conditions any more suitable for the animals. If this bill should pass it should apply to anyone who owns a dog or cat. Why do these conditions and terms only apply to people who breed? There are more people that have poor living conditions, are cruel and inhumane to their animals, that will never breed a dog or cat.

This bill will not affect the people you really want or need to be affected. Please look at the big picture.

Please vote NO to the passing this bill.

Thank you for your time
    Matt and Kathy Peters
    Topshelf Retrievers and Kennels, LLC
    Matt Peters
    Topshelf Retrievers

Some puppies are mature enough at 6 weeks to be placed in new homes.
    I sure would edit that out. I would concentrate more on a powerful statement or two as far as number of litters and not affecting puppymills and stores and less on hosing and staking out. Enforcing rules on the book.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Thanks for the input! I'm hoping to get to speak at this hearing and I do agree with leaving that out.

Any one else?
    Matt Peters
    Topshelf Retrievers

Pulled from agenda today.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Went down to find that out. I haven't found out when they are going to cover it.
    Matt Peters
    Topshelf Retrievers