RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Blastomycosis...Any hope??

7K views 42 replies 30 participants last post by  adonika 
#1 ·
Just got the word that my 5 y/o Male Lab has been diagnosed with Blastomycosis. The prognosis at this time is his chance for survival is "guarded". The chance of saving his eyes is pretty much non existant.
To anyone that has gone through this what was your outcome?
The vet has had 2 "private" phone conversations with me today, and since I'm a FireFighter/Paramedic, she has been more frank with me than my wife. She pretty much thinks his chances are low. We will begin treatment tonight.
I am prepared for the worst.
I would love to hear from people that have experienced this even if the outcome wasn't good.
Thanks,
MARK

#29 · (Edited)
You all have our sympathy and understanding. Our Gator Point's Mr. T had blasto 15 years ago. It was in the early days that the disease was diagnosed and the treatment was not fully understood. When asked how long to continue the medication (which was expensive) they told us "as long as you can afford it". (Over $3,000) That got us 2 more years with him and it was therefore worth it for us. He was restricted by us in his activity so it may not have been really worth it to him.

I think most of us look forward to the reunion at the Rainbow Bridge, I know I do. Bless you for your difficult decision. Bill
________
The Legend Condo Cosy Beach

#30 ·
To follow up on what Kristie said....

If the vet cannot make the housecall, see if you can park in the back of the vet's practice, or some other out-of-full-view location and let him come to your vehicle to do his work. At least you and your wife will be able to express your love and emotions in a more private manner.

I did this with my last dog, the one with laryngeal paralysis and a hiatal hernia (and had lived to be 13). It just worked better that way. I also, for the first time, had a dog cremated. I'm so glad I did, for a multitude of reasons that I won't express here.

Mark, I feel for you, and I admire your courage and the decision you've made. We're with you in spirit all the way.

kg

#32 ·
Mark,

My heart breaks for you and your wife. This will be such a bittersweet day for you. One more day to try and show Boss all the love that barely fits in a lifetime. You might not be able to see it now, but trust me-he knows you fought the good fight for him and that what you are doing for him tomorrow is putting your own feelings aside & letting him go with some dignity. We all owe them at least that much.

I'll urge you too to have your vet come out if you can. And, as painful as it is to think about today-bringing his ashes home does help eventually. I have Kate & Bailey home with me and I think somehow they know.

Take care and tell him what a Good Good Dog he is.

M

#33 ·
I was blessed to stand beside Mark's dog Boss, he is the only dog in the United States to travel to Europe and beat them at their game, he won a 36 dog Novice Trial in Ireland. He has competed in Field Trials and Hunt Tests here and recieved his Master Hunter Title with Mark at the helm, he also became Qualified All Age in the same year.

As I said I was lucky enough to train Boss and to run him in Europe and here in the States. He will always hold a special place in my heart, I have a picture of him on the wall in my office next to the Trophy he won.

Mark and Rena I know how much he means to you and how hard this decision is to make. I just want you to know that a little piece of my heart will be lost on Thursday. If there anything I can do for you do not hesitate to ask.

Marty Newport
HighMark Retrievers

#34 ·
Oh my word Mark. I just read about Boss. Please know I will stop all that is going on around here and take the time to say a prayer for the 2 of you! These dogs are in our care and their lives and the quality of their lives is totally in our hands. I am so sorry.

Gwen

#36 ·
I am so sorry, and will be thinking of you guys tomorrow.

#37 ·
..so very sorry to hear such sad news.

Sincere Condolences...

Judy

#39 ·
We have decided not to put Boss down. He is blind and will have his eyes removed next week.
Wednesday Boss woke up with an appetite and was moving around instead of just lying down all the time. By the evening he was playing with his favorite ball. :shock: Rena' called me at the Fire Station Wed night and told me he was playing ball with her. When we went to the vets office Thursday she was AMAZED. She couldn't believe that he was doing so much better. She suggested that we NOT put him down but to continue to fight this disease.
Tuesday night I took him out around 2am thinking it was the last time I would take him out to air. I was crying and as I put him in his kennel I whispered this in his ear; "You have to tell me what to do. If you're ready to go I'll let you but you got to tell me what to do. I love you, buddy!"
I guess BOSS wants to live. As long as he wants to we will let him :D
I guess it's time to let this thread die instead.
We appreciate ALL the thoughts and prayers. They definitely worked.
I am thoroughly impressed with all the support and encouragement WE recieved during this ordeal. If you see me at a trial this Fall please introduce yourself so I can thank you personally.
Sincerely,
MARK GAMMON

#40 ·
Mark,

I sincerely believe that our wonderful dogs have a way to let us know when they're ready to go. Boss just isn't ready!!

Best of luck. Just remember that dogs have a wonderful capacity to adapt to disabilities.....many times much better than humans!

Give Boss a huge hug!

Vicky

#41 ·
Mark that is fantastic news! I wish Boss, you and your family the best as you all continue to fight this disease. It may be a bit of a rocky road ahead, but I will send my prayers that all turns out well.

Andy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.