The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CA AB 1634 Mandatory Spay/Neuter Law - Letters needed now!!

Default CA AB 1634 Mandatory Spay/Neuter Law - Letters needed now!!

California Assembly Bill 1634, known as the California Healthy Pets Act, was assigned to the Assembly Business and Professions Committee on Monday, March 26. It seeks to require the mandatory spaying or neutering of all dogs or cats over four months of age, unless the owner acquires an intact animal permit. Please contact your Assemblymember to voice your concerns.

It is imperative that we have clubs state their opposition. Please have your club forward a letter, on club letterhead to:

Assembly Business and Professions Committee
    ATTN: Tracy Rhine, Committee Consultant
    1020 N Street, Room 124
    Sacramento, CA 94249
    FAX: (916) 319-3306

Letters must be received by April 2, 2007!

To learn more about this bill and how to contact your Assemblymember please visit our website: The American Kennel Club
    Gina
    *~*~*~*~*~*~

Just curious, how could they enforce this type of law? Our local government estimates a 13% compliance on county licensing with such a minimal fine that one might as well take their chances on ever getting caught. Is California any different?
    Curt

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!----Benjamin Franklin

The CA Vet Association ( Not sure of the exact name) is backing the bill. Since you must see a vet for a rabies vaccine - the vet pushes it on you and could very well report you. (may be required by law to report you) So people will then avoid getting their rabies shots which probably isn't a good idea.
    Gina
    *~*~*~*~*~*~

bump
    Gina
    *~*~*~*~*~*~

Kristie Wilder

Will letters from non-Californians be of any use?

I don't know for sure, but I emailed the Gover-Nator and told him that I went to Cali once for a dog and planned on going back but now I won't! My travel dollars will be spent in another state. I also said I won't be showing in the Eukanuba cup next year! (LOL) I never will anyways so that's not an untrue statement! Since tourism is big there that stuff may get their attention. It couldn't hurt.
    Gina
    *~*~*~*~*~*~

The new deadline is April 18. If just 10 of you deliver letters of
    opposition from just 10 new signers, that will be 100 more for our side.
    Letters must be in the hands of the Analyst
    by April 19, so get them in by April 18.

Between now and April 23, you can also go visit your Assemblyperson and
    or/aids in his or her district office. This is very easy. Just look in
    the phone book for the phone number, call them and find out when their
    office hours are. Go and hand deliver your letter. Try to explain a few
    points when you hand it to them, but be brief and respect their time.

REMEMBER, the next hearing on AB1634 is scheduled for 9 AM on TUESDAY,
    APRIL 24 in Sacramento. If you care about the health and welfare of your
    animals, be there.
    I reside on the left coast, but my ideals are right wing.
    LQP CN Double Hunter, SH (09/12/1996-12/22/2010)
    Waterstrike's Dynamic Amazon, MH (10/18/2000-09/08/2011)

I received an e-mail about this today. VERY scary if it is a precedent for other states.

I wrote a letter & I hope everyone else does. To do nothing is to say it's ok!!

April 12, 2007

The Honorable Mike Eng
    Chair, Assembly Business and Professions Committee
    Room 6025
    State Capitol
    Sacramento, CA 94249-0049
    Fax 916-319-2149

Dear Mr. Chair:

I am writing to express my concerns about Assembly Bill 1634. While I am not a resident of California, it is not lost on the community of dog fanciers that this bill could set a precedent and have an impact on all of us. As a responsible dog owner, I vehemently oppose this bill.

As for personal background, I at one time owned a Champion Newfoundland who also successfully participated in obedience, water and draft work. She was shown several times in California. She was bred on several occasions and produced Champions, Group winners and placers, obedience, water and draft titlists. As someone who felt that I was a steward of the breed, I sold all pet quality pups to spay/neuter homes and you would find this a common practice among most dog fanciers. I currently own Golden Retrievers that I participate with in Hunt Tests and Field Trials. While running these events is not as a precursor to breeding, I find it offensive that, were I a California resident, you would blissfully make the decision that any dog I own be not only ineligible for breeding, but exempt from some forms of competition.

The fact that American Kennel Club has also expressed their opposition should speak volumes to those involved with this bill. Many of us participate in areas of competition that are prohibited to spayed and neutered dogs. While you may suggest that the AKC adapt their regulations to fit your proposed legislation, there is strong reasoning behind unaltered animals competing and participating in performance events. Each breed comes with a long history of characteristics and attributes unique to its breed. Conformation shows, field trials, herding trials, etc. allow the fancy to perpetuate the traits inherent in the respective breed of choice. Those that choose to breed their dogs do so out of respect for their chosen breed and a strong sense of pride in their ability to be a part of perpetuating the characteristics that have endeared that breed to us. Along with fostering the unique qualities of each breed we have a strong sense of responsibility to breed only those dogs who are healthy and cleared for genetic defects. Your legislation dismisses all of this and with no forethought as to what an individual dog may bring to the table in terms of enhancing the breed, blissfully removes him or her from the gene pool. What a shame for those who have worked so hard to produce dogs that exemplify their breedís characteristics.

As Iíve said, I do not live in California, but I will most certainly make others aware of your legislation and should it pass, ask them to choose a state other than California to vacation in and use their purchasing power.

I respectfully request that you oppose AB 1634 and support responsible dog owners and breeders.

Sincerely,

Miriam Wade
    (Address will be on faxed letter)
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you canít take it backÖ"

Mitch Patterson '07

MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)

PLEASE CROSS POST WIDELY

Please take Assembly Member Bill Maze off of your list to send opposition
    faxes and letters to. His staff have repeatedly assured us that he will
    definitely vote against AB 1634, and requested that we not send any more
    faxes or letters. I confirmed his opposition by speaking with staff
    directly, and so have others. The avalanche of faxes is making it difficult
    for Mr. Maze's staff to use their fax machine, and it's taking up staff
    time unnecessarily.

If others wish to confirm this by calling Assembly Member Maze's staff,
    please designate a single focal point from each organization so as not to
    overwhelm his staff with phone calls.

Out of courtesy to Assembly Member Maze and his hardworking staff, and in thanks of his support, please honor his staff's request to remove him from your fax and letter list.

Laura Sanborn
    http://saveourdogs.net/

Default CA AB 1634

I have been sitting at my computer and/or sending Faxes for the past few days.

I think input from persons in other states is very helpful. Oregon is worried that they will be next, and some of the Oregon retriever clubs have offered to help by sending letters.

For those of you who are from California, get off your rears and help us out---we are doing this for you, too!

One of the biggest things to hit (since politicians seem to follow the money) is the financial impact this will have. The AKC Invitational brought in $21.7 m to the City of Long Beach alone.

If you are out of State, you can stress if it passes, you will not enter the state nor spend any money in the state---and, in particular, you will not drive through the state with a dog in your car.

For information on the bill as well as where to send a FAX, go to http://www.akc.org/canine_legislatio...ion_center.cfm

It is hard to go up against PETA/HSUS as they have the money, the "celebrities", etc. that seem to sway so many politicians. We have been treatened (by the supporters) that WHEN they get this passed, they can take our dogs when we are walking from the car to our vet, in our car, in our driveways if our animals aren't neutered!

Take just a few minutes of your time to help us fight this. Because, if you don't, you will be fighting it in your state next! Let the politicians know they just can't push this under the rug. That we are watching what they do.

Glenda