The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How would a Seasoned judge view/score/judge this?

Default How would a Seasoned judge view/score/judge this?

First some background:
    My dog sometimes has a momentum problem on blinds. Sometimes in training if he is taking a good line, but is going too slow or is slowing down I will give him a "back" nick "back" and it will help. Other times I will just say "back" again with no nick and it will help.

Now the question: If he was running a Seasoned blind and he was going slowly or decelerating too soon and I said "back" again to restore his momentum, how would the judge view/judge/score this? If he is really on line then stopping him and giving him a loud "back" would likely put him on a worse line to the blind (because the act of sitting on the whistle would put him off-line). In the event that this situation arises I just need to know whether it would be a bad idea from a judging perspective to give him an en-route "back" command.

OK, OK, I know I shouldn't have entered the dog until I had this straightened out, but the problem arose after I sent my money in and since I've paid, his butt is going. It is getting better, but still happens sometimes.

Thanks.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

How slow does he get down to? Does he pop if he isnt reinforced? I think that is what the judges are going to assume you are trying to prevent. In the end, I think it would just be viewed as a cast, but I bet they would be watching closely to try to figure out why you felt the need to do it.

Nothing wrong with giving a back cast to reinforce the back command. As long as the dog takes the cast, then no markdown.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Zack
    How slow does he get down to? Does he pop if he isnt reinforced? I think that is what the judges are going to assume you are trying to prevent. In the end, I think it would just be viewed as a cast, but I bet they would be watching closely to try to figure out why you felt the need to do it.
    No, he doesn't pop, but when he slows down he doesn't run as straight and will need to be stopped and cast...and/or he will begin to hunt and will need to be stopped and cast. It drives me nuts when he does it while running a perfect line because I know if I stop and cast him he won't be on as good of a line as he was originally.
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

Default Seasoned Dog

Giving a verbal back is not a problem when running a blind in Seasoned. It is a cast plain and simple.

Janet Kimbrough
    JK'sboxofchocolates

SHR Diggs, Soul, Mooney and always HRCH Cinn SH 500 pt club (06/92 to 01/98), HR Rocks (09/99 to 05/04), HRCH UH Schooner SH 1000 pt club (11/95 to 11/07) and HRCH UH Wagars MH 1500 pt club (12/01 to 09/13).

Default Re: Seasoned Dog

Quote Originally Posted by jksboxofchocolates
    Giving a verbal back is not a problem when running a blind in Seasoned. It is a cast plain and simple.

Janet Kimbrough
    Janet, you understand that this "cast" would be given with the dog already in motion (moving away from the handler), not after a whistle sit, right? Still OK?

Thanks for the reply.
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

I think if you are going to have to give him a back command, that you stop him and handle him to the blind. The blinds in HRC are only 60 yrds. I feel that if you are giving him a Back command while he is still en route to the blind, just slowing down, I would consider that a form of intimidation. This is just my opinion, whether or not it is right or not, that is how I would judge it.
    Proud home of:
    MHR Murphys Magnum of Walnut Creek "Maggie"
    MHR HRCH Murphys Chevy Bel Air "Chevy"

It is just another cast pray the dog takes it and doesn't go off into left field some place.

In training go to bucket blinds to improve his momentum.
    Margo Ellis

“Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life.” ~ Annie Oakley
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

In All Thy Ways Acknowledge Him And He Shall Direct Thy Paths. Proverbs 3:6

I agree with Janet and Margo. Just another cast.
    "Force fetch isn't about retrieving as much as it is conditioning a dog to handle pressure, in a very controlled environment. It's about putting a dog in the position of having to figure out how to turn off pressure by finding the correct response. This translates into numerous areas in training." Sharon Potter.

Quote Originally Posted by labman52738
    I think if you are going to have to give him a back command, that you stop him and handle him to the blind. The blinds in HRC are only 60 yrds. I feel that if you are giving him a Back command while he is still en route to the blind, just slowing down, I would consider that a form of intimidation. This is just my opinion, whether or not it is right or not, that is how I would judge it.
    Have you read the thread on WRC regarding yelling back enroute on a blind and if that constitutes intimidation?

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"