The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Anyone have any idea what they're worth?

Default Anyone have any idea what they're worth?

I have the first two years of The Retriever Journal, in good shape with just slight cover wear. Are they worth anything? Does anyone have any idea how I could find out?

Thanks,

EBAY.
    What its prominence suggest, and what all science confirms is that the dog is a creature of the nose- A. Horowitz.

Thanks. I was beginning to hear crickets chirp in the silence... LOL

The deal is that I'm considering donating them to a raffle for a retriever-related cause. Obviously, I don't want to do that if they're of no value and nobody will buy tickets. How embarrassing! On the other hand, if they're worth 40 kajillion dollars, I may not want to donate them either!

I see someone has two years up on Ebay with a bid of $10, which really isn't all that impressive (sorry if the bidder's here!) but thought maybe the ones I have being the first two years, including the very first issue, might make a difference.

Kristie Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by hhlabradors
    Thanks. I was beginning to hear crickets chirp in the silence... LOL

The deal is that I'm considering donating them to a raffle for a retriever-related cause. Obviously, I don't want to do that if they're of no value and nobody will buy tickets. How embarrassing! On the other hand, if they're worth 40 kajillion dollars, I may not want to donate them either!

I see someone has two years up on Ebay with a bid of $10, which really isn't all that impressive (sorry if the bidder's here!) but thought maybe the ones I have being the first two years, including the very first issue, might make a difference.
    They're worth something, but not a ton. May be better to sell them here or on Ebay and then donate the proceeds -- larger market than what will probably be at the raffle.

I'd say $20... Some of the earlier issues are no longer available. Might be worth calling retriever journal and see which ones are no longer in print. I know when i called to complete my collection there were some that are not available. But i want to say they were from odd years (like years you wouldn't expect).

-K

Thanks, Kristie. That's what I needed to know. I'll just go buy something known to be of more value and use, and keep the magazines.

Eleanor

Tear out all of the training articles and discussions and chunk the rest in the can.
    <--- Dooey, MH
    MHR Duckmates Fly Guy MH 05/17/94 - 07/17/08 "Flyboy"
    Candlewood Court Magician JH 1/31/02 - 8/2/12 "Magic Man"

Richard

Kristie, $20 each or total???
    Tracy
    HRCH Tracy's Rae of Light "Rae"
    HR Hammer N Rae's Midnight Mayhem "Emmie"

Kristie Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by rmellaw
    Kristie, $20 each or total???
    I would say total, but it depends on if any of them are no longer in print, in which case they might be worth a little more. NOT $20 ea because you can buy them for $4-$5 ea if they're still available.

-K

I have a complete set starting with issue 1, Vol 1. I priced them at $2.00 per copy. The shipping was more than the mags were priced at. Deal fell through. Do you know how much those things weighed? If I remember correctly around 50 lbs.

I probably have 300 lbs. of National Geographic Magazines in the attic.

Kristie Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by Brevard Arndt
    I have a complete set starting with issue 1, Vol 1. I priced them at $2.00 per copy. The shipping was more than the mags were priced at. Deal fell through. Do you know how much those things weighed? If I remember correctly around 50 lbs.

I probably have 300 lbs. of National Geographic Magazines in the attic.
    Yeah, the weight is the problem... I bought 30 years of field trial news and it would have been something like $200 to ship, i forget. They're in big data binders and there are a few years in each and they have GOT to weigh 20 pounds... Thankfully, we were able to work it out where I picked them up at Dave Ward's place while I was at Wisam...