The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Singles off multiple gun percentage questions.....

Default Singles off multiple gun percentage questions.....

So I am wondering what the percentage of marks thrown should be done as singles rather than running the whole setup. 50% or more?

Also, if running the setup as a triple or whatever, and the dog swings, is it better to try to get the dog back to the gun and run it as a single? Or continue calling for the birds as you were originaly going to do after getting the dog to re-focus on the 1st bird? (I am aware of anti-head swinging drills, I am just asking...)

I am a terrible person because I get caught up in the whole thing of wondering IF SHE CAN DO IT.. You know? I gotta work on that before she starts blowing me off I reckon....
    Princess Darla of Nottingham MH ***
    Copper's Darlin' Rascal "Spanky" ***
    Spanky's Darlin Rascal "Wheezy"

Yellow dogs rule the world!

I have a little/sometimes head swinging problem with my dog.
    As a result, I am running 4 or 5 sets of singles, before I run a real triple.
    It is solving my problem of headswinging, just not as fast as I would like.
    <--- Dooey, MH
    MHR Duckmates Fly Guy MH 05/17/94 - 07/17/08 "Flyboy"
    Candlewood Court Magician JH 1/31/02 - 8/2/12 "Magic Man"

Richard

Once the dog has proved he has a memory and successfully does multiples on a regular basis, I believe somewhere around half the setups for older dogs should be run as singles. I believe it keeps the concentration on each individual bird higher helping marking. We can set up much more difficult singles with more factors as a single than you can as a memory bird. Any corrections will be much clearer to the dog.

It's hard to do a good check up bird with another bird close behind it as a single, I don't think inline triples can be successfully taught as singles, so training on multiples must be done.

When a dog headswings I think it’s best to realign the dog on the mark, put your hand down, and send the dog on that mark. They’ll be pretty confused but they should concentrate on the birds better in the future. I’m not going to sent them to bfe but try to get them back to focusing on the bird they swung off of before sending them.

We’ve all be caught up in the training session wondering if the dog can do the test or not. I’m not going to stop doing it completely. But, we’re really not there for that, but to advance our dog’s skills. Training setups should be set up to advance what the dog can do not test to see if it can do the test de joure.

What do you others who are training for all age competition do?
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Banned

I'd say 50/50. There usually a single somewhere in the multiples most of the time...

Angie

50/50 would be good, although I am guilty of running more multiples than that with finished dogs. With younger dogs or swingers the ratio is much higher, 80/20ish.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

In a Retriever Journal article a few years back, Mike Lardy wrote of a 25/75 ratio of multiples to singles off multipe guns.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Quote Originally Posted by Golddogs
    In a Retriever Journal article a few years back, Mike Lardy wrote of a 25/75 ratio of singles to multiples of multipe guns.
    At the workshop last summer he said for all-age training "generally", 25% as triple or quad, 25% as singles, 50% as some combination single & double.

Balance is important. Read your dog and adjust the balance as you read the need. There is no set ratio that applies to all dogs.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Thanks everybody. I have been doing WAY to mahy multiples! testing not training!
    Princess Darla of Nottingham MH ***
    Copper's Darlin' Rascal "Spanky" ***
    Spanky's Darlin Rascal "Wheezy"

Yellow dogs rule the world!

In the Farmer/Aycock new video, Danny show what he does on a headswinging dog.
    He sends for the bird the dog swung away from.
    <--- Dooey, MH
    MHR Duckmates Fly Guy MH 05/17/94 - 07/17/08 "Flyboy"
    Candlewood Court Magician JH 1/31/02 - 8/2/12 "Magic Man"

Richard