The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi Point Derby Race

Default Hi Point Derby Race

Is there anywhere that updates the Derby points on dogs other than FT News two or three months late?

From the 06 list it would appear that Hawkeye's Seawolf has a lock on the race this year, but I have not heard of any other dogs than have racked up enough points to challenge him.

How many does Seawolf have now and who are his closest competitors?

Tim

I don't know of any other sources for more timely updates.

If by lock you mean any other dog with a nice pedigree being run by an experienced pro that campaigns almost exclusively with a dog or two and almost exclusively to be the high point derby dog and to run all over the country and run whichever of the several events that this dog is simultaneously entered in that have the best odds....then yes, I think it's a lock.

Default derby

How does anyone compete against a dog that has already run 40 derbies? I dont have the dog or the money. I did run one a couple of weeks ago and had a blast. Lot's of fun. Good people and saw some good dogs.
    If i wanted it to be easy i would have bought a black dog. (i would like to retract this statement-i own one) Rocky Hill Retrievers

Kristie Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by John Gassner

If by lock you mean any other dog with a nice pedigree being run by an experienced pro that campaigns almost exclusively with a dog or two and almost exclusively to be the high point derby dog and to run all over the country and run whichever of the several events that this dog is simultaneously entered in that have the best odds....then yes, I think it's a lock.
    Wow, I never heard of the multiple entering of events. Really? I guess that's one way to do it... wow

I noticed that as I was going through Entry Express. Probably a wise business plan, and it is a business plan. I'd like to see the ROI on this one.
    Mark

Kristie Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy

I noticed that as I was going through Entry Express. Probably a wise business plan, and it is a business plan. I'd like to see the ROI on this one.
    Definately a business plan and, even with that, still a title that would be well-earned in the end. and I assume the non-entered clubs are $60+ richer.

Who owns the dog now?

kg
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

Default Re: derby

Quote Originally Posted by mpage
    How does anyone compete against a dog that has already run 40 derbies? I dont have the dog or the money. I did run one a couple of weeks ago and had a blast. Lot's of fun. Good people and saw some good dogs.
    Unless one follows the same system, it would be very difficult to compete even with a very talented pup. I’d love to have the time and $$$ to run NutCase all over the country. A little more training time wouldn’t hurt either. I think she could be a thorn in any dog’s side.

Here’s a dumb question. Is high point dog based on the total points a dog earns even if some of those points are earned in the previous calendar year?

Frank
    www.BayouMagicRetrievers.com
    FC AFC Wing Magic's Louisiana Roux MH "Roux"
    Bayou Magic's Road to Hurricane "Roadie" (Knucklehead Puppy)
    Bayou Magic's Tough as a Boot "Boot" (Knucklehead Puppy)

"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." -- George Herman Ruth

Quote Originally Posted by Kristie Wilder

Definately a business plan and, even with that, still a title that would be well-earned in the end. and I assume the non-entered clubs are $60+ richer.
    Unless they cancel at the last second.

I'm impressed how some handlers are willing to run a derby on Friday at one trial, then travel 10-12 hours to another club's derby the next day. Getting 2 derbies in one weekend!

Jeff
    Jeff Telander
    Durham, NC

FC AFC CT Broad Reach Devil Made Me Doit CD "Sinner"
    Broad Reach Smarty Pants

Forever in my heart
    OTCh Broad Reach Diesel TD MH UDX2***
    CH Broad Reach Gripper UD MH
    OTCh R Labs Darth Wader TD JH
    OTCh Teracroft Topaz TD JH

Kristie Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by jeff t.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristie Wilder

Unless they cancel at the last second.

I'm impressed how some handlers are willing to run a derby on Friday at one trial, then travel 10-12 hours to another club's derby the next day. Getting 2 derbies in one weekend!

Jeff
    crazy!