The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Dog Box Ventilation

Default Dog Box Ventilation

I have procured a large lot of aluminum. My uncle just happens to be a fabricator and I have access to the shop and tools at night and evenings. He is going to help me so that I don't screw up too badly and we are building a 6 hole trailer with UTV storage. I've had some axles lying around for a year or two and finally found a deal on some aluminum. For any of you who have a trailer / box or have built one...what are considerations for ensuring an exhaust fan pulls hot air from all compartments? The last thing I want to do is build a structurally sound box and trailer and then have ventilation problems. We won't have any problems with the construction, but neither of us have ever owned or used a trailer like these so we are a little hesitant about whether we should use an air space between all the holes? Insulation?

Thanks in advance!
    "The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail and not his tongue." - Author Unknown

I've never built a trailer. It would be best to look at other's designs before you build something you don't like.

A lot of them have expanded metal or "jail bars" on the upper third of all the boxes. (You don't want an ear sticking through into the neighbor's box.)
    Then all the tops of the boxes are made of expanded metal. Then the top of the trailer is built over top of that with a generous space in between tops of the boxes and the top of the trailer. The fan pulls through the louvered doors up through the boxes into the breezeway and out.
    There are doors that allow storage on top of the expanded metal. You can open the storage doors to let the air flow out without running the fans or close everything if it's cold.

Most have insulation in the bottoms, sides and more in the top.
    Last edited by John Lash; 06-10-2015 at 06:30 PM.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Think about insulation for both hot and cold.
    John Cottenham aka jacduck in many circles before the internet

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

thanks guys. So, what about a plywood top and sides covered with aluminum? Then, 2x2 aluminum tubing for framing....I have access to a ton of house wrap foam insulation. One sheet doesn't provide a great amount of insulation but I have cut it and used as much as needed to fill as much space as there is in a 2x6 wall - in deer stands I've built.

I was thinking of taking 4x8 sheets of aluminum and cutting the holes for the doors, storage and breezeway, and cutting plywood to match...rivet the aluminum to the plywood, and framing the inside with tubing as well as the box dividers. Now when I put the sides on, I can cover the plywood on the inside with aluminum as well...which means I can put as much insulation between the two layers of aluminum as I want....I just don't know how much I need. A friend of mine has a 16 hole Ainley (sp?) truck topper for me to go by but I can't tell from looking at pics of his how thick the walls are.
    "The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail and not his tongue." - Author Unknown

I'd say no wood. The water will get under the aluminum and you'll have a rotten mess.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

I would talk to some one that has built one. There is a lot more then just drilling holes. Also, the boxes are not Alum, they are stainless steel. only the skin and frame is Alum.

Keith