The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear

Thread: Water blind drills

Default Water blind drills

Hey-

Any tune-up drills that you could recommend for getting better momentum and tighter lines on water blinds? Seem to have lost a lot of our water blind skills after this past winter.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jmoods View Post
    Hey-

Any tune-up drills that you could recommend for getting better momentum and tighter lines on water blinds? Seem to have lost a lot of our water blind skills after this past winter.

Thanks
    The best tune up drill for water is "tune up drills".

If this is actually a tune up to get tighter, longer lines, I like the drill called by some on RTF "The Howard Drill. I just modify it from land to water. Go to back pile twice then whistle sit, cast to location. I use no pressure in this drill simply attrition. The only downfall... The farther away each bank is, the further the swim. My ideal pond is 30 yards by 45 yards. Keep the momentum to the back pile though. Whistle sitting and casting too many times can affect momentum to back pile.
    Last edited by Bonnette13; 05-05-2016 at 07:52 AM.

Yes. Sorry. I hate autocorrect.

How about the swimby tune up drill, or anything that is a three peat or more. The three peat would be giving momentum because you've already gotten the dog there before the second and third send so he generally knows the idea because he just did it.

Do the water tune up drills incorporating the tight lines and run it several days in a row and when the dog learns the lines to those blinds its momentum will start picking up. After the dog does well, return to the drill ever so often to maintain the dog's momentum and to keep the dog sharp on the concepts.