RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Thanks for the Dance - Tributes/Condolences

188K views 172 replies 117 participants last post by  paul young 
#1 · (Edited)
There are times that we all have or will face with our beloved retrievers that causes our hearts to ache with the pain of loss. Many who have not shared this special bond with a dog won't understand why we grieve as if we have lost a child, a best friend, a dearest companion. But those of us who have experienced this pain do understand.

If you have a favorite tribute or condolence poem that has brought comfort to you, please share it with us.

Vicky

#54 ·
2nd attempted to post. Lost first.

Here is a poem especially written for me by my good friend after the death of my Monica (YLF) who died on July 20, 2005 from injuries sustained from being hit by a car on June 9, 2004. This poem was my only solace then. I was blessed to have such a noble dedication written by a man of such great stature and prominence. I can only hope that someone else gains comfort from his act of love and devotion.

From Monica to Her Master & Mistress

Please take heart,
My dear Master and Mistress.
I know my departure
From this life
Has left you in deepest pain and sorrow.
But the physical divide of death,
great as it is,
Is bridged in a breath
By the spirit.
Thus am I always
close by.

Remember our happy times together,
especially in the park.
When you are walking there,
open your hearts, eyes,
And look - over there.
I am rolling on the grass;
Or nearby; I am muzzling
into your hand.
So please take heart,
dear Master and Mistress;
I am here.

Dr Minotte M Chatfield
23 July 2005

G
#55 ·
For as long as this thread has been here, I have never read through the whole thing. I can't handle it. I do look at bits and pieces and have read some beautiful stories, poems and anecdotes. But it's way too emotional... thank you all for sharing on this wonderful thread.

About 2-3 times a week, I recall Allie getting sick at the master national and Joie doing everything he could to save her. I realize that for three weeks she absolutely suffered and it pains me terribly... I miss her so much... And then add Joie to that and I go over the edge... I love this thread, but it sure does make me recall a little too vividly the most horrible time in my life.

-K

#56 ·
I believe this is one of the best site/list out there for our special kids. I have given this site address to a lot of friends who have lost their best friends in place of a sympathy card. I belong to 3 retriever clubs in FL as well as Orlando Dog Training Club. This past year, ,members have lost a number of dogs and they all come back to me after visiting this list with the same positive comments such as "what a great list, they said it just like I feel and couldn't express, I've bookmarked this because I know I will need to send it to some of my friends soon." etc. Please continue to have this available. Thanks all for contributing to it.

#57 ·
Special One

You woke-up with me every morning with vigor and zest.
We’d start the day off, like it was our last.
I could see the sadness in your eyes when I’d leave every morning,
Only to be greeted upon arrival with kisses and anticipation.
You meant the greatest of all to me and will always be in my heart.
Now that our lives have sadly departed, only have memories left of you.
I will undyingly miss you.
The joy of you being part of my life and the pain losing you in my heart.
My friend . . . . . My best friend . . . .My dog.

#59 · (Edited)
What a great thread and thank you all for sharing. I'm more of a reader here but 3 ago weeks had to put down my 10 year old black lab Suzie, this is the trubute to her I put on some other boards.

Tribute
You know in your heart the day you bring them home at 8 weeks and look into those small eyes there will come this day, still when it comes it is difficult to take, there time is to short, every second with them seems so much more valuable and you look back hoping, praying and wondering if you made the most of it all.

A few weeks ago Suzie started acting different, lethargic and just not herself. She had her moments of her old self and then last week she began to not want to eat all her food. At the same time I felt what I thought was something on her right side at the end of her ribs, was I imagining things? I made a vet appointment and Tuesday night my worst fears were realized. It was a very large tumor that in a week had become even more pronounced. Options were an ultrasound to find out the extent of the tumor and what and how many other organs were involved, surgery was the only option, no pill would make this go away.

No decision needed to be made right them so I took her back down to Debbies to be with her as I knew in my heart this was it. At 10 years old I could not see her going through an operation of this magnitude. She stayed with her until wed night when she told me to take her home where she was comfortable. She had stopped eating on Thursday almost completely and by Friday was fading fast and getting weak and in my eyes was getting uncomfortable. I took the day off and spent it with her yesterday knowing it would be our final hours together. Today at 1:00 I hugged her and kissed her head and cried my eyes out as I am right now typing this as the first of 2 needles entered her leg. I wrapped her in her favorite blanket and laid her on the the seat and took her to say goodbye to Debbie at the SPCA where she will be cremated. I would be a liar if I didn't say this was the hardest thing I ever had to do in my life.

She was such a good dog, there are better gundogs out there but in my mind she was the greatest. She was a veteran of many campaigns with me always by my side in every weather you could imagine, in every circumstance to. From the Penobscot River and sloughs of Maine, to the untold areas of New York and the wetlands sloughs and rivers of Iowa to the nasty stick ponds here at home she was well traveled and well liked by all who met her. She only carried one title and that was the title to my heart, she never had to prove anything to anyone, she just loved her work, from the first pair of woodrows she retrieved in her first year to the big crippled canadas that she relished more than anything. She was a good dog and always will be. Now in peace she can have nonstop retrieves and birds all day everyday.

Her ashes will be placed in two woodie decoys that I will carve so she can still hunt with me at least once a year, the rest of her ashes will sit in an urn flanked by the decoys the rest of the time. She will never be forgotten, every snot hole I step in, every farm I walk, every where I hunt she's been there and I know will still be with me.

Years ago on another site I posted this poem I wrote for her for when this dreaded day comes, a good friend helped me retrieve it from there and it will grace my wall with a favorite picture of her as well.

"Paw prints in the ashes"

She was born at night, in the late winters cold,
Which she came to ignore, almost seemingly bold,

She was black as night, in her thick laden fur,
Which defined her breed, her lineage, it defined her,

For the water she loved, and was so at peace,
Chasing bumpers, rising trout, ducks even geese,

The states we crossed, the fields we traced,
I'm glad to have known her, for I have been graced,

She was my companion, she was my friend,
My best hunting pal, until the end,

As I allow the dust, to blow into the wind,
My lonely hearts tears, soon to begin,

Now in her favorite place, in her brilliant flashes,
To leave her telltale pawprints, in the ashes.

When I wrote this years ago I never dreamed how hard it would be to write them at this time. To all who have gave encouraging words lately and all the good thoughts, thank you, more than you know.

I could not do this without including just a few of my favorite images of her, if I have but one regret it is the fact I have 100s of pictures of her and less then maybe 6 of her and I.

God bless ya Suzie and thank you for enriching my life.

#60 ·
Euthanasia is never an easy decision, and incredibly difficult when you are the one faced with it. On April 7, 2009 I was faced with realization that it was the most selfless act I could do for my old friend. HRCH Quiver Creek's Rowdy Abigail MH quietly went to sleep with my hands around her face, so that her last breaths would be filled with me.

We brought Abby home to Ten Bear Kennels to rest in good company with HRCH Jasmine Black as Night (500 point HRC dog with countless Master passes) and AFC HRCH Carronade's Lady Katherine MH (The youngest dog ever in HRC to have 500 points at 26 month of age, and many consecutive Master passes, and FT success).

I can look out the kitchen window of my home and see the resting place of the dog that changed and shaped my life from the time she entered it. Here's to you Abby, 500 point HRC dog and only one of 27 dogs that made it to the 3 rd series at the Grand in Mississippi. Abby, you were all heart. 3/6/1996-4/7/2009

#61 ·
I don't know if this one has been posted yet or not, but it hit home for me a couple of years ago.

The Rainbow Bridge Story

Just this side of Heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: they each miss someone very special, someone who was left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; his eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly, he breaks from the group, flying over the green grass, faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into those trusting eyes, so long gone from your life, but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together...

#63 · (Edited)
In Loving Memory of “Chevi”

Twin Pine’s Victory Lane QAA

9/11/97 - 5/28/09

Dear Mom and Dad,

You’re giving me a special gift,
So sorrowfully endowed,
And through these last few cherished days,
Your courage makes me proud.
But really, love is knowing
When your best friend is in pain,
And understanding earthly acts
Will only be in vain.
So looking deep into your eyes,
Beyond, into your soul,
I see in you the magic, that will
Once more make me whole.

The strength that you possess,
Is why I look to you today,
To do this thing that must be done,
For it’s the only way.
That strength is why I’ve followed you,
And chose you as my friend,
And why I’ve loved you all these years…
My partner til the end.
Please, understand just what this gift,
You’re giving, means to me,
It gives me back the strength I’ve lost,
And all my dignity.
You take a stand on my behalf,
For that is what friends do.
And know that what you do is right,
For I believe it too.
So one last time, I breathe your scent,
And through your hand I feel,
The courage that’s within you,
To now grant me this appeal.
Cut the leash that holds me here,
Dear friend, and let me run,
Once more a strong and steady dog,
My pain and struggle done.
And don’t despair my passing,
For I won’t be far away,
Forever here, with your heart,
And memory I will stay.
Your best friend,
Chevi

I received this today from Mike & Vikki Diehl. My deepest condolences on the loss of their girl, Chevi.

#65 ·
Brother Rick,

I am crushed that you lost Brasco.

Within the last 24 hours, I came home and viewed a photo of you running her in a NAHRA test in Ohio on a randomized photo slideshow. Then tonight, I was looking in my drawer for a hankerchief that my 4 year old son Sammy had to have - a hand-me-down from my deceased grandpa.

First, I found a folded up piece of paper with a $5 bill in it. It is from my sending you the cash after your winning a duck calling contest bet in South Carolina years ago. Apparently you sent it back to me!

My deepest condolences on the loss of Brasco. Maili will not be far behind her...sadly.

Chris

#66 ·
Thanks Brother Chris.

It is truly a sad day here.

Your mention of Ohio reminds me, she may have had enough points for her MHR. Just not sent in etc.

I'll never forget the day we went grouse hunting up here in SWPA. She sat to flush and shoot, temporarily ;)

These dogs bring so such to our lives. Frankly, without Brasco, you and I may have never met. Gotta love these dogs.

Thanks again Chris,

Rick

#67 ·
Thanks Brother Chris.

It is truly a sad day here.

Your mention of Ohio reminds me, she may have had enough points for her MHR. Just not sent in etc.

I'll never forget the day we went grouse hunting up here in SWPA. She sat to flush and shoot, temporarily ;)

These dogs bring so such to our lives. Frankly, without Brasco, you and I may have never met. Gotta love these dogs.

Thanks again Chris,

Rick
Rick,

My unending friendship, love, and loyalty to you and yours....

Chris

#69 ·
Tribute to a Best Friend
Sunlight streams through window pane unto a spot on the floor....
Then I remember,
It's where you used to lie, but now you are no more.
Our feet walk down a hall of carpet, and muted echoes sound....
Then I remember,
It's where your paws would joyously abound.
A voice is heard along the road, and up beyond the hill, Then I remember it can't be yours....
Your voice is still.
But I'll take that vacant spot of floor and empty muted hall And lay them with the absent voice and unused dish along the wall.
I'll wrap these treasured memorials in a blanket of my love And keep them for my best friend until we meet above.

In loving memory of Ebony & Ivory's Joy of Joys, JH
Owned & loved by Todd Williams & family

5/2/2000 - 7/29/2009

#71 ·
"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them.

And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart.

If I live long enough, all the components of my heart with be dog,

and I will become as generous and loving as they are".

#72 ·
AFG's Crazy Dayzee, Aug 13,2006 - Aug 23-2009

For my crazy, sometimes naughty, always loving 'little girl'
You were taken from us too young, and my heart aches knowing you will not be here in the morning. But it helps me to know you are in a better place than I and I know I will see you again one day.
Give Honey, Morgan, Nestle, and Kiska a Dayzee high five for me.

http://www.skyviewchesapeakes.com/dayzeesmemory.html

#73 ·
#74 ·
After the BAHRC test was over yesterday, my father and I packed up the tables and told the last few people there good bye. As we turned of off 98 and drove down 95, we passed two of the dove fields that we shoot a lot in the winter. Birds are already in the sunflowers.

I knew that the Mystics float barn was extremely close to where we typically shot doves but I didn’t realize just how close. My father, brother, and I had kicked around behind it a few times and watched the doves flying and even noted the wood ducks as they tried to land in the pond one evening while we were training. I also knew that this was where they had buried Thor when he got killed back in June.

After we finished putting the tables in the barn, I couldn’t stand it any longer and had to ask. “Dad, where is he at?”

He answered and said to follow him. We walked down the hill just a little ways and dad stopped. “Son, see that big red oak down there about 100 yards away? The ground is shaded there from 9 AM throughout the rest of the day. You can shoot to both of those dead trees and the pond’s edge from the shade.” As he finished speaking, he looked at me and with a broken voice said “Walk down there by your self. You don’t need me for this. I’ll be in the truck when you are ready to leave.” As he turned and walked away, I watched a 60 year old man wipe tears from his eyes while trying not to let his son see him.

I walked down the hill by myself with mixed emotions going through me. Happy because I had, just a few hours earlier, received my first title with the new dog. Sad because my father was obviously emotional and this was the first time I had been to the burial site. Proud because of the detail and thoughts my brother and father put into Thor’s last resting spot.

The thoughts going through my head were disturbed as I got closer to the first dead tree. 17 doves were using the limbs as a resting spot. Through the tears that were swelling up in my eyes, I looked over at the other tree and watched as some more doves came out also. I couldn’t count them all but, there weren’t as many there.

As I sat down next to the base of the tree, I could see the tell tale depression in the ground where it had been disturbed by a shovel. I couldn’t take it anymore and let the tears flow. As I sat wiping the last tear out of my eyes, I watched the doves slowly starting to come back and as an added bonus, 2 local mallards swam through the pond. I guess they had been there all along and I had failed to see them.

During the trip back up the hill, I had the final emotion of the trip sneak up on me. Relief. His last resting place couldn’t have been laid out any better than it was.

The drive home was quite. Neither one of us spoke very much. As we opened the front door, 2 labs (mine and his), ran over to meet us like they hadn’t seen us in years. Those eyes with unconditional love sure can put a smile back on your face faster than anything.

#79 ·
These are killing me...

My wife and I are vets. We have the mixed blessing of being able to send our dogs over the divide ourselves. 2 Chessies, 4 cats, and a horse to date...never gets easier. Try keeping it together, talking calmly to your pal eating ice cream while you push in the plunger....we die a little each time. Seeing all these posts made me nostalgic for a eulogy my wife wrote for Cedar, our first chessie. It's interesting how a dog's life looks written out. An exercise for anyone coping with the loss. Brought back lots of memories...mostly smiles. My dog lying next to me must think I am crazy as I sniff and cough repeatedly. Anyway, a letter for "Cedar" if you're interested. Boy....a lot has changed. I was too busy back the with pursuing my career interests...how much more I could have done with them.
-------
Just wanted to let you all know that we decided to let Cedar go today. We just couldn't bear to see her continue to deteriorate.

Most of you did not know her in her prime, so I thought I'd share some memories of her life.

I got her in the summer of '90 after a hard second year of vet school. Our friend Roy nicked named her "Cheddar Head" - so her registered name became Cedar Bay Cheddar.

She taught me so much about dog training. Unfortunately by making alot of mistakes. In her first basic obedience class the instructor told me Cedar was depressed because of the type of food I was feeding. In fact she acted depressed in class because she didn't like the antiquated training methods.

She used to come with me to happy hour during our large animal rotations at New Bolton Center (farm). She barely complained when she lost a tooth trying to catch a soft ball at the same time as the bat.

In '92 she had six puppies. One in the closet in Don's apartment in Pittsburgh, 4 in the back of my Honda Accord on the Pennsylvania Tpke, and one in the little house I was renting in Cumberland, MD. One of the turnpike puppies was Cypress.

In '95 she was diagnosed with cryptococcosis(a fungal disease) in her stomach. The fungal specialist at Univ of TN stated that it was "exceedingly rare" to occur in that location. She was placed on Sporanox- an "exceedingly expensive" human anti-fungal. She needed 3 capsules a day at $5 a piece. When we realized she would need to be on this long term, Don contacted some friends at a zoo in Tx who were traveling to Mexico- they purchased a supply for us at only $1 a capsule. We made jokes about our Mexican connection. She was on Sporanox for 9 months.

One Thanksgiving holiday our friends Margie and Marty took the dogs so we could travel back home. While they were out for a few hours, Cedar pulled 2 pumpkin pies off the counter. There was only 1/2 a pie left when they got home.

In '96 my friend Carolyn invited me to an agility match which became the beginning of my obsession. :) Cedar and Cypress had never seen any of the equipment before, but were allowed a short practice time. Cedar placed 3rd in the match. We entered our first trial after only a few more practice sessions. She was an honest worker, always trying despite my poor handling and inexperience. Funny, she never seemed depressed when we did agility :)

Although we had done some field work all along, we became a little more serious about it around '98. Our chessie friend Dave repeatedly complimented Cedar on what a good mark she was. Don took her dove hunting a few times, but that was short lived as she ate more doves than she retrieved. We entered and passed our first 3 junior hunter tests. (ducks are a little harder to chew...)

In '99 we moved to FL. I noticed she was not jumping as well, but figured she was just getting a little stiff with age. At her first trial in FL, she could not get up the a-frame. We discovered at that time that she had spinal arthritis. That was the end of her agility career.

That last junior hunter leg was lurking on my mind, so at age 11 3/4 we decided to enter a test in Feb '02. She passed for her title leg. It was a bittersweet weekend as we had just returned from PA from Don's father's funeral. Paul always had a soft spot for Cedar.

She had lots of hugs and good meals this week. Steak and potatoes, bacon and eggs. Her last moments were spent licking icecream.

Cedar Bay Cheddar, CGC, OA, JH
We will miss her terribly.

-Jan and Don

#80 ·
It has been a tough 6 months losing one at 8yrs old and now her mother.

Even though a little obstinate (sp?) at times, she did get master passes before we had to quit running hunt tests for a time. She was very adept, when training with bumpers, in not showing the fact that she was ignoring the bumper and looking like she was hunting hard.

At 9.5 she ran our clubs first HRC seasoned test and was one of two who passed. She was still doing triples at 11. Over the last year she had declined quite a bit and suddenly within two days she lost all spark and was basically listless.

She also produced our first CH.

RIP Sadie 2/23/97 to 11/06/10.

#81 ·
It has been a tough 6 months losing one at 8yrs old and now her mother.

Even though a little obstinate (sp?) at times, she did get master passes before we had to quit running hunt tests for a time. She was very adept, when training with bumpers, in not showing the fact that she was ignoring the bumper and looking like she was hunting hard.

At 9.5 she ran our clubs first HRC seasoned test and was one of two who passed. She was still doing triples at 11. Over the last year she had declined quite a bit and suddenly within two days she lost all spark and was basically listless.

She also produced our first CH.

RIP Sadie 2/23/97 to 11/06/10.
I remember her well Greg and am sorry to hear of your loss.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.