The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: New Born Pup?

Default New Born Pup?

Last night my little black female whelped 8 very beautiful and healthy pups, all of which are doing well! The question I have and I feel stupid for asking, is I am having trouble determining their color. The last two litters with Mattie I bred her to my yellow male and the pups were all black. This time I bred her to an MHR Choc. male, we knew we had a slight chance she was choc. factored. So here is the deal out of the eight pups she whelped last night four of them have dark brown noses. I mean they look completely different color than the pups with the black nose, however to look at the pups coats you can not see any brown at all. Just looking at the coat color they all look black as coal. Out of the last two litters (15 pups) never did one have a brown nose. So my question is do you think they are very dark choc. pups and the coat color will become noticalbe or are the black pups? I am not tyring to spam here but there two pictures of the pups up on my website. In two of the pictures you can get a pretty good idea at the differnt nose color. Honestly I think they are all black but the nose color is causing a question mark.

Thank You,
    David Sours
    Support Conservation Hunt with a Trained Retriever

www.southforkretrievers.com/index.html

I'm no expert on genetics, but if you bred her to a yellow and got all black pups she is only black factored.
    It sounds to me that the pups are probably all black but have choco pigment seeing how they will be choco factored.
    But like I said I'm no geneticist.
    Castle Heights Gundogs

Mossy Oak Pro-Staff
    Sportdog Field Staff
    Drake Waterfowl Field Expert
    Buck Gardner Pro-Staff

Well I know I am not genetics expert but I thought the previous breeding just proved the she is not yellow factored. Maybe I am wrong about that. I also thought that if she is choc. factored and my yellow was not, then we would have only had black puppies as well. Like I said I am no expert but I thought I was right on this.

David Sours

Yeah I think your right. I was just saying chances are they are all black.
    Check this out for some answers.
    http://www.blueknightlabs.com/color/coatcolor.html
    Castle Heights Gundogs

Mossy Oak Pro-Staff
    Sportdog Field Staff
    Drake Waterfowl Field Expert
    Buck Gardner Pro-Staff

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

Looking at the pictures, I think they are all black and that one pictured with the off color nose appears to have a pink tint rather than brown in the photo. It could be an area that would be white if there was hair on it....like the bolo spots behind the feet on black puppies. often those pups also have pink splotches on their pads, So I would guess that this could also appear on the nose. The pigment might also fill in darker, like yellow pups who are born with totally pink noses that darken within the first week to a nice black color.
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady

They are all black just have a pink nose that will darken in a week or so. We had a litter with a couple like that about a year and half ago.
    Cant complain......Wouldnt do me any good to complain anyways

Thanks for the repelies I was pretty sure that they were black but I haven't ever had black pups with a brown nose before.

Thanks,
    David Sours