The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TT pro 100 vs pro 200

Default TT pro 100 vs pro 200

I have a question for the more knowledgeable out there. I am thinking about a pro 100(more continuous) or pro200(more nick). I had several SD models and sent them all back . Their customer service treated me well but I finnally had enough problems and returned my last one for a TT G3 sport combo. I havent even had the g3 on the dog yet but have experimented on myself. I am unsure if I like all the dials to change between different modes. and I would like to have more levels at my fingertips. My dog is thru FF and CC but I am still unsure what I like the best (continuous vs nick) as he seems to respond equally to both. I use the continous button more like a nick but of course cant duplicate tht fast nick as well as the nick button can. I am just looking to see what most of you prefer. As a wise man once told me "buy the best and only cry once."

I have the TT100 EXP. Have had it since Christmas, and I love it.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

I have a sport dog, but I would like to sell it and get a TT. I like the looks of the new TT G3 Sport Combo. Anyone used this one yet? Pros and cons? I want a small one to use during hunting as well as training. My SD 2400 is just too big for me and hard to keep up with it during hunting.

Let me here some reviews on the new G3 vs. the G2!

Thanks Robert

Default 200

I bought a 100 lite in '97, replaced the batteries once. Practiced with the light and got pretty good at the nick with a continuous button. Bought the latest generation Flyway (pretty much the same as a 200) and love it. I train both seasoned Chessies and a 12 month old Lab pup. I think the nick really gets a short, clean correction without over doing it. You also have the hot button should you need it.
    Don't take training sessions too lightly. And don't forget, after all, that they are training sessions for the handler as well as the dog.
    -Charles Morgan On Retrievers

If i were going to spend the money to buy a tt collar i would go ahead and get the pro 500. With the 500 you get the benrfits of both the 100 and the 200. I have one and they are easy to use and work good in the yard and the field.

Just ordered a collar for a buddy in the club he went through the same delema.
    He has an 100 xl and likes it but he has a soft dog so he debated about the 200. He is also planning on another dog in the near future so that's an unknown. The best answer was/is get the 500 G2 EXP.

I have one very hard headed dog he is always on constant.
    I have one hard driving biddibal dog who is usually on nik.
    I have one soft dog he is on nik.

Lardy said on one of his tapes to get the 100 if you couldn't get the 500, if you press and release the constant buttons quickly you can kinda get nik.

I, too, have the TT Pro 200 EXP and absolutely love it. It's more than I need. The Flyway is almost an identical model. Don't have experience with the Pro 100 -- but if you really wanted total flexibility, I'd consider stepping up to the grand-daddy of them all - TT Pro 500. {as others have suggested]

Many professional trainers have written that you can't accurately and repeatedly reproduce a "nick" yourself with a continuous stim collar, so the dog will never have exactly the same stim. For that reason, I went with the G2 200.

As others have said, for comprehensive e-collar use, or if you use, for example, Smartwork, which requires varying low levels of continuous levels of stimulation for forcing work, the TT 500 is the best way to go. (The G3 Sport Combo also has a wide range of nick and continuous stimulation. I bought one, and am returning it for reasons posted in a recent Product Review thread.)

I agree with David as I have just come across the problem with the TT 200 while following Evan Graham's SmartFetch - CC TO FETCH. It only has 1-continuous, 2-continous, 3-continuous up to 6. My lab's tolerance is a "3" so I back off to a "2-continuous" for corrections. Doesn't give me a whole lot of room for continuous corrections. The TT500 collar has 3 continuous burns for each level - low/medium/high. Probably not a big deal as I think I can get through it and then use the momentary stimulus for later training. Just so any who read this are aware.

Senior Member Mike Peters-labguy23's Avatar

I like the Flyway the best. I have a Flyway XLS and now a new Flyway G2 EXP that is very nice! I have never found a good use for the tone so save the $$ and get the Flyway.
    Mike Peters