The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did I mess up?

Default Did I mess up?

Been playing fun fetch with my 12 week old BLM. He's been doing great, mostly short marks in the back yard but extending them a little at a time. Done some slightly longer ones in the local park. I always brag on him and praise him when he brings it back and he wags his tail and has that proud walk. I've also been working on some low pressure OB, sit and here with the voice and whistle, he's doing great at that with 100% on here and nearly that on sit, just an occasional delay.

Anyway, today I took him to a new location to do some light training in a new location. Took the puppy bumper out of my pocket, shook it a bit to get him excited and tossed it out. It was a short throw because I didn't want to push it in a new location. He took off as usual but this time when he got to the bumper he sniffed it and turned around and hauled tail back to me, not scared but wagging his tail. I walked him out to the bumper and with some encouragement he picked it up, but by the end which he's never done before. I decided not to push it and put the bumper away and had a good session with some long sits and me walking a good distance before calling him in.

Anyway, all I can think of is one of two things. Either he has some teething pain, but it seems a bit early for that. Or, I've done something to make him not like the bumper. All I can think of is that a couple days ago as I was putting the bumper away in my pocket he was still pretty excited (quit while they want it) and he jumped up to grab it and caught my thumb, it surprised me and hurt and I kind of jerked and yelled. I'm hoping he doesn't think I don't want him going after bumpers now. He very much wants to please and I could see him not wanting to go after them if he thought it made me mad.

My thought is to put the bumper away for 3-4 days and then try again back in the yard on short throws to see what happens. This is my first retriever that I'm trying to train right, I grew up with labs but they were pretty much self-trained and I've had pointing dogs of late. Please let me know if I'm anyone sees something in this that I don't.

Thanks in advance.

DH

Banned

maybe go back to where he wouldnt retrieve and just play with him and walk him around and sit down on ground and play with him.Its a new area and I have seen some very nice young dogs that were awesome young marker and had balls of fire go to a new field and want to walk around and smell all the different smells and sights.After they ran awhile a bit and smelled everything they went out there and retrieve great.Hope I was some help but others will be along with some great advice.

He's just a baby. Don't sweat it.

He's 3 months old. It will be different at 6 months and different at a year. Work on your obedience and let him be a pup. It's a marathon not a sprint.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

Thanks guys, that's what I figured. It just seemed kinda strange to go from so into getting the bumper to no interest at all overnight.

DH

In a park it may also be that the bumper fell into another dog's urine. I've seen exactly that reaction when the bumper falls into a space scented by another animal.

Banned

A new place, new smells, sounds, sights..... The ole bumper doesn't look as interesting at that moment.

Get Jackie Mertens DVD "Sound Beginnings". Also Cherylon Loveland had a puppy book that was very good. I don't know know if it's still being printed but it's worth checking into.

Angie

Also Cherylon Loveland had a puppy book that was very good. I don't know know if it's still being printed but it's worth checking into.
    A new edition is being worked on. The publisher said it would be ready last Fall and now it's slated for this Fall. I miss the book because I keep it in stock and recommend it all the time to puppy buyers. Used ones are selling for 3X the original price and new ones are 6X the price. I hope they get that new edition done quickly.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ErinsEdge
    Also Cherylon Loveland had a puppy book that was very good. I don't know know if it's still being printed but it's worth checking into.
    A new edition is being worked on. The publisher said it would be ready last Fall and now it's slated for this Fall. I miss the book because I keep it in stock and recommend it all the time to puppy buyers. Used ones are selling for 3X the original price and new ones are 6X the price. I hope they get that new edition done quickly.
    I used to recommend it and loan it out all the time. Like the rest of my library it never came back....

Look forward to the new one. Cherylon said last year she was working on it.

Angie

He is still a baby, in a new place with plenty of new sights sounds etc to explore. I wouldn'y sweat it. Good Luck with your new baby!!