RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Best Garmin collar right now?

4K views 24 replies 22 participants last post by  Feather Point Retrievers 
#1 ·
I'm an amateur trainer working with my first retriever. He's about 8 month old lab and I'm about to transition to a more "formal" training system.

If you guys were starting from scratch what collar would you buy? He will be a hunting and family dog 95% of the time (though I'm not opposed to the possibility of running hunt tests with him).

The collar will be a gift so I'm not overly concerned about the price, just want to get a quality unit that will last a long time.

Thanks.

#17 ·
I'd agree with this.
Full disclosure: I have been a TT user for decades. The PRO 500,200 & 100 G3's I have are junk.
I gave up on TT/Garmin & I went to the Dogtra Edge RT last year and it has been reliable thus far.
I do not have a PRO 550.
Maybe they have gotten better

#6 ·
I've got a Pro 550 and love it. Consistent stimulation levels, long battery life, very user-friendly controls. I know a guy who bought an Edge RT 2-collar system(upgraded from Tri-Tronics Pro 100) and didn't keep it long. He was getting inconsistent stim levels especially in the water.

#7 ·
I'm with bamajeff on the 550.

#10 ·
I use both the 550 and RT on a daily basis.Tend to grab the rt more often....I like the switch changing between collars on the 550 better though...so I'm grabbing that when running 3 dogs on driven shoots.Jim

#11 ·
My training partner has both also. He tends to use the 550 more than the RT.

I've used both when I've shown up unprepared and forgotten my G3 Pro 500s. I feel like I need to back the dial down some with the RT. It seems a good bit hotter to me than the 550.

Reality is, if we had, 20 years ago, either of these, we'd be blown away by the technology. Nice training equipment certainly has evolved over the years!

Chris

#13 ·
Garmin 550

#14 ·
I use the 550 for training and then use the sport pro for hunting because I like the smaller transmitter on my lanyard. I like all the stim levels the 550 offers, but if I had to get by with just one collar I could do so with the sport pro. Can't go wrong my with either as far as I'm concerned.

#20 ·
I have had TT ecollars since I started with Labs in 1991. My last was an ESP Pro 500 with 3 receivers. I cannot get any service on my $750 investment since TT sold out to Garmin. I have never owned a Dogtra before but bought an Dogtra ARC. I have never been more pleased with an Ecollar. It holds a charge for a month even training EVERYDAY 3 dogs. Their service is GREAT. I left my transmitter laying in my chair while putting up one of my big dogs and a 12 week old puppy thought the antenna tasted good . Called Dogtra and a new antenna was at my house 3 days later. My cost 0$.

#24 ·
I assume you are talking about the influential member discount. With Black Friday sales coming up, you may be able to get what ever collar you want for the same price online. Better to get what you want than save a couple of $.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.