Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Back to the old repliable, bumpable Wild West days

• Other....explained below as a reply

Lab Puppy Classifieds Change

7K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  Chris Atkinson 
#1 ·
This link will take you to the discussion made me run this poll: http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=432756#432756

For those of you who sell litters, please pick your preference.

I'd like to see what the majority wants.

Please keep in mind that you can edit your ad a limitless number of times and can delete your ad at any time. (but please don't delete it just so you can repost it! :wink: )

#2 ·
I voted other because I could care less either way as I own all boys.

But that's not the main reason I voted other - I voted other because I see RTF as a FREE resource to those trying to sell litters and sometimes it seems that you take a lot a grief for a great online resource.....did I mention it was FREE to us?

I figured do what ever makes your life easier and the heck with the rest! ;)

FOM

#3 ·
Initially, I thought the idea of 60 days was good because it did give people more chances to post their ads, when the breeding was done and again when the pups arrive and again if there are any left after 60 days.

However by dropping down to 60 days you can almost guarantee every single Lab litter will have 2 ads and some will have 3, so I agree with Chris, the new ones will fall further down the page because the number of ads will double. So I voted for 90 days. Even though I really liked the old days when you could reply...but I guess given how popular RTF has become, it isn't practical and a headache for the admin.

Oh and what Lainee said...it is a FREE resource and a good one and shouldn't have to be a headache for those that maintain it!

#4 ·
Lainee and Julie,

THANKS!

I want to also point out that when it was repliable and bumpable, we had people with multiple accounts "talking to themselves" from the same computer in an attempt to keep their ad at the top. We had folks "helping out" their pals by making "nice litter" or "How many are sold" bumps to keep their buddies on top, as a reciprocal arrangement.

It got out of hand and those who "played by the rules" were the ones who got run off the page.

Chris

#5 ·
If you left it just how it is now, but had the ads drop off every 30 days, I think it would be easier to monitor. You would have 1/3 of the ads to monitor for multiple posters. The ad board would stay cleaner also. No old ads where the pups have been sold for 2 months. Just my opinion.

Tom Murphy

#8 ·
Chris, I know that when the ads were repliable and bumpable it got abused, no doubt a victim of its own success. I imagine THOSE moderating days were more of a headache than the occasional person who tries to slip in an extra ad.

Also I imagine just deleting 90 day old ads is MUCH easeir than having to PM, call or email folks to see if their pups were all sold. You'd probably have to do some of this if it changed to 60 days.

Oh and Labman you can delete posts... I just did a test over on the Chessie puppy forum and was able to delete it. Just open it up and click the X next to the edit box. Altough it does say at the bottom you cannot delete posts, in fact you can.

#9 ·
Julie R. said:
Initially, I thought the idea of 60 days was good because it did give people more chances to post their ads, when the breeding was done and again when the pups arrive and again if there are any left after 60 days.

However by dropping down to 60 days you can almost guarantee every single Lab litter will have 2 ads and some will have 3, so I agree with Chris, the new ones will fall further down the page because the number of ads will double. So I voted for 90 days. Even though I really liked the old days when you could reply...but I guess given how popular RTF has become, it isn't practical and a headache for the admin.

Oh and what Lainee said...it is a FREE resource and a good one and shouldn't have to be a headache for those that maintain it!
Not accurate. This is not about POSTING every 60 days but pruning and (if they are still available) reposting. Its the same as it is now except moving it to a 60 day cycle rather than a 90 cycle.

It just seems more logical to me based on, its 9 weeks of gestation.....then pups go home at 7 weeks.

So you post an ad after the breeding, repost when the pups are born (first ad at time of breeding has been removed already) and then repost for any left-overs (most of the pups have gone home at 7-8 weeks of age) if there are any.

The pruning will still occur and we will have less "dead" ads because those where the breeding did not take will fall off 30 days sooner or where are thepups are spoken for at 8 weeks, those too will fall off.

Less follow-up for the moderators.....

90days seems a funky number when you are talking about the relative length of a dog pregnancy and when the age of when the pups go home.

WRL

#10 ·
Julie R. said:
Chris, I know that when the ads were repliable and bumpable it got abused, no doubt a victim of its own success. I imagine THOSE moderating days were more of a headache than the occasional person who tries to slip in an extra ad.

Also I imagine just deleting 90 day old ads is MUCH easeir than having to PM, call or email folks to see if their pups were all sold. You'd probably have to do some of this if it changed to 60 days.

Oh and Labman you can delete posts... I just did a test over on the Chessie puppy forum and was able to delete it. Just open it up and click the X next to the edit box. Altough it does say at the bottom you cannot delete posts, in fact you can.
You'd have to do much less removing of dead ads if you went to a sixty day cycle.

Julie, please keep in mind....no matter what the cycle, the litters will still only have ONE ad at any given time.

If the pruning is done timely (whenever Chris has time but say once a week), there will really be very very few ads that are duplicates and for the most part if the ads were pruned every day, there would be NO duplicates.

WRL

#12 ·
With 63 days from breeding to birth and another 49-56 days before all pups are hopefully out the door, the 60-day reposting makes sense. Whether I'm buying or selling, I like to see litters be announced at breeding and come to the top again after birth. Where pups are not sold or sales fall through, it is also good to give a final boost where it's needed to get pups into good homes.

#13 ·
WRL said:
And no, you cannot delete the post under Lab Puppies. You can only edit it and remove the text.

WRL
My apologies. We had the delete setting to "mod" rather than "reg" for deleting on Lab pup classifieds...

All registered users may edit their ads at any time and may also delete their ads at any time.

I had forgotten that we made this setting not long ago, to disallow deleting ads....WHY? We had more than one user DELETE their ad and then repost it on the top!

It is fixed now Lee and you can delete your ad at any time.

Chris

#16 ·
Whatever works easier for Chris since he's moderating all of this -- and like others I think it is great that we have this great service as part of RTF

#18 ·
John Gassner said:
I still vote for allowing replies that do not bump, if possible?!?!?!?!?
Me, three.

#19 ·
I'm for being able to post a given number of posts about a litter and litters in a year.
I'll use five/fifteen for an example.
Use them as you see fit, then no more posting about that litter or other litters.

john

G
#20 ·
john fallon said:
I'm for being able to post a given number of posts about a litter and litters in a year.
I'll use five/fifteen for an example.
Use them as you see fit, then no more posting about that litter or other litters.

john
Why? And who's going to keep the tally?

edit: And would you want the same limit applied to started dogs for sale?

#23 ·
The majority wins this one.

Lee and others who suggested it, although most users did not vote, of those who did, yours was the popular idea.

I am posting an announcement at the top of RTF and have updated lab puppy classified guidelines.

Lab Pup classifieds have been pruned at 60 days. 18 ads were removed as a result. For those whose ads were removed, enjoy running the brand new ads off page one with your reposts.

*scratching my head, but got no dog in this fight regards* :wink:

P.S. I have tried and I wish there were a way to make them repliable but non-bumpable. When we switch to VBulletin I think this will get better. That will happen in the future.

In the meantime, all ads may be edited by the creators. If you want to ad in comments, you can do that as frequently as you like. You may NOT delete your ad, however. This is to prevent the old "oops, I deleted it by accident so I had to repost it at the top of page one" trick.

If your ad sells out, please edit it to indicate as such.

Chris

#24 ·
Chris Atkinson said:
For those whose ads were removed, enjoy running the brand new ads off page one with your reposts.

Chris
I guess I don't understand this. The reality is, that there will be no more ads then there were. Rather than having 3 pages of ads with them being 90 days old, now we will most likely have 2 maybe 3 pages of ads with all of them dated 60 days or less.

WRL

#25 ·
My guess is there will be more ads but only time will tell. Previously most people waited til the breeding was confirmed to post, now they know they can post a 2nd time theyll post early so number of ads will increase. Yes there won't be two ads on there at the same time but there will be two ads for every litter where most litters only had 1 ad. So I'm guessing the volume will double. I predict 4 pages by the end of the first 60 day cycle!

#26 ·
Julie R. said:
Yes there won't be two ads on there at the same time but there will be two ads for every litter where most litters only had 1 ad. So I'm guessing the volume will double. I predict 4 pages by the end of the first 60 day cycle!
Maybe I'm just having a stupid day, but I don't get this. Firstly, how will there be two ads for every litter but not two ads at the same time?

That to me (I mean I'm just a Math Major so forgive me) but that sounds like one ad per litter which is the guidelines.

WRL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.