The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Repeat or Not To Repeat? Farmer/Aycock or Lardy?

Default Repeat or Not To Repeat? Farmer/Aycock or Lardy?

Repeat or not to repeat that is the question? I have always heard and read in the past, including the material from Mike Lardy, NOT to repeat. The theory being it leads to going back to old falls. Today while watching the "Problem and Solutions" DVD from Danny Farmer and Judy Aycock. I was struck by Danny Farmer repeating a marking concept again, again, and again. I thought if that doesn't lead to returning to old falls, that the repetition would be a good tool. And an instant way to test to see if the first lessons/corrections took. As well being very efficient, as not to have to set up the same scenario in a different location.

Kristie Wilder

Default Re: Repeat or Not To Repeat? Farmer/Aycock or Lardy?

Quote Originally Posted by BenQuick
    Repeat or not to repeat that is the question? I have always heard and read in the past, including the material from Mike Lardy, NOT to repeat. The theory being it leads to going back to old falls. Today while watching the "Problem and Solutions" DVD from Danny Farmer and Judy Aycock. I was struck by Danny Farmer repeating a marking concept again, again, and again. I thought if that doesn't lead to returning to old falls, that the repetition would be a good tool. And an instant way to test to see if the first lessons/corrections took. As well being very efficient, as not to have to set up the same scenario in a different location.
    Go back and watch Mike's stuff. He does the same thing on concepts...

Banned

I will repeat a mark or blind after running something else first. I like to challenge the dog to use what it learned from it's first run. It really makes them think if you do not repeat right away.

Concepts are taught and repeated all week on different fields and ponds.

Angie

I think that part of the DVD you're talking about, they were doing a cheating single. Mike repeats marks when he's doing those I believe.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Don't forget he was working on cheating singles with a young dog and they were throwing plastic, not real birds.
    The Libertarian Party believes that all persons are entitled to keep the fruits of their labor. A call for the repeal of the income tax, abolishment of the Internal Revenue Service and all federal programs and services not required under the U.S. Constitution. We support the passage of a "Balanced Budget Amendment" to the U.S. Constitution, provided that the budget is balanced exclusively by cutting expenditures, and not by raising taxes. LP.org

Kristie Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Booty
    Don't forget he was working on cheating singles with a young dog and they were throwing plastic, not real birds.
    Also, on Mike's stuff...

The one example that jumps back into mind is where he was teaching I believe the short retired, but I'm not positive...

It's set up as a triple and the dog "fails". He reruns it, but instead of throwing the go bird again, he just flips a bird off line for the third bird (to save time and some memory so the dog gets it right, if I remember correctly)...

so there are times you might repeat outside of a cheating single. I believe in Mike's program it comes down to when you're teaching a key concept. For cheating singles, there can be quite a bit of repetition. When teaching a marking concept in the field -- even something as simple as a taught double that involves retrieving the memory bird twice -- repetition can be helpful when used properly.

-K

It's been so long since I've looked at the Lardy material. I'm sure Mike does many of the same type drills. On the Farmer DVD, he is running a single with a long angle entry with the mark down the shore. He quits after repeating it 4 or 5 times with the same dog. Dogs shows progress then begins to regress, so he quits. Most of the Pros that I know use bumpers for drill work, like on Farmer's DVD.

Repeating marks? I would think that the words, "never" and "always" don't come into play.
    The Libertarian Party believes that all persons are entitled to keep the fruits of their labor. A call for the repeal of the income tax, abolishment of the Internal Revenue Service and all federal programs and services not required under the U.S. Constitution. We support the passage of a "Balanced Budget Amendment" to the U.S. Constitution, provided that the budget is balanced exclusively by cutting expenditures, and not by raising taxes. LP.org

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Booty

Repeating marks? I would think that the words, "never" and "always" don't come into play.
    Ha! Good one, Franco! You are so right. As Lisa said, "It depends,"
    LM

It looks like to effectively use the advanced training material of either—you need to know so much about training Retrievers that you would have little use for the material.

My point is that from the tone of the questions and the so called answers that I have read on this and other threads about the material on the tapes, many who are buying the tapes should start with, or review the novice or intermediate material.

Square One regards
    john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Banned

Peat and Repeat sittin' on a fence, Peat falls off, who is left?