RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Dudley?

5K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  rrwilly 
#1 ·
Is it correct that breeding a choc x yellow will only produce dudley pups if the yellow is choc factored?

Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
Nope

http://www.blueknightlabs.com/color/coatcolor.html

Pure chocolate to yellow carrying chocolate WON'T produce dudleys.

If the chocolate carries yellow and yellow carries chocolate you can get dudleys. If the chocolate carries yellow and the yellow is a Dudley, they can produce dudleys. Then the above link can show you all the other opportunities to produce Dudley.

#5 ·
So if you breed a chocolate that is yellow factored to a yellow that doesn't carry chocolate, they're will be no dudleys.

#7 ·
In this case, the probability of dudleys is 50% I believe. 50% will be yellow, chocolate factored(dudley) and 50% black carrying yellow and chocolate

#6 ·
Correct. Blacks and yellows, no dudleys. The link above has every color combo except silvers. Since there is no such thing.

#10 · (Edited)
According to the link provided by suepuff

Eebb X eebb

or

Eebb x eeBb

are the two ways you can get dudleys when breeding a chocolate to a yellow

Looks like you can get dudley pups from a tri-factored black bred to a yellow factored chocolate.

This is interesting to me and I was under the impression it was only an issue when breeding chocolates to yellows but apparently not.

#11 · (Edited)
I think there is a difference of opinion in what everyone refers to as a Dudley. Even the Labrador Retriever Club realized the confusion and I believe deleted the use of the word Dudley. There are yellow labs with no pigment which have a pink pigment to their nose, lips and around then eyes . There are also yellows with the characteristic black nose and lastly there are yellows with a liver colored nose(which I always referred to as a Dudley). These are yellow labs that carry the chocolate gene. They are produced in some breedings of yellow to chocolate. Look likes I have used the term wrong but it depends on if you desire your yellows to have the black pigmentation on the nose or if the liver pigmentation is okay with the individuals breeding and the puppy buyers. Always enjoy things I can learn from.

#12 · (Edited)
Dudley is a yellow chocolate dog eebb both parents must carry both colors for it to be produced. Much more likely to occur with tri-factor blacks, as most tend to stay away from mixing yellow and chocolate, thus there are fewer yellows apt to also carry chocolate and fewer chocolates apt to carry yellow.

#13 ·
Dudley generally is considered those yellows that don't have normal black pigment on the nose, lips, around the eyes, whether it is liver or pinkish instead of black, most just generically consider that a "Dudley", whether it is accurate terminology or not. They may also have the odd greenish eye shade as well. But just having chocolate factor does not make a yellow a Dudley, they have to be missing the black pigment too, and not just the nose. Black noses can turn pink, in the winter, or with age, but the dog may still have black lipstick and eyeliner and would not be considered "Dudley". The Blue Knight chart is an excellent one to use to avoid producing the Dudley/lack of pigment. One of my MH/QAA is black, tri factored, I have to be careful in not breeding her to a male with both chocolate and yellow so I don't get that "no black pigment" in some yellow offspring. I color-test my dogs if there's any question of them possibly carrying chocolate or yellow so I can avoid the lack of pigment surprise later if bred, and dilute now, sure don't what THAT surprise popping up. ;-)

#14 ·
With the advent of color testing, and all the genetic testing we have now, color is easy to breed around. Some older breeders are absolutely appalled when you breed chocolate to yellow. Who cares? You get all blacks that carry all three colors in my case. A lot of what is still spoken about color genetics are old wives tales.

If you're concerned about breeding no pigment, which we should all consider since it specific about it in the standard, color is so easy to address.

Use the chart I linked to and you'll NEVER breed a dog with a lack of pigment. :). It has EVERY combination possible and as cheap as DNA testing is you should color test if you don't know what your dog is. Many a litter owner on this forum has been surprised about what they see in the litter box. Thinking they didn't have the yellow or chocolate gene.

Sue

#15 ·
It is a matter of personal preference, whether you like the liver-nosed yellows or not. The FAULT that the standard refers to is "The nose should be black, on black or yellow dogs, and brown on chocolates. Nose color fading to a lighter shade is not a fault. A thoroughly pink nose or one lacking in any pigment is a disqualification." And as with most faults, there is a health concern associated with pink noses and eye rims, namely sun exposure. The Labrador retriever was bred to be outdoors, in the sun, all day, and pink skin will burn more readily than black or brown.
I'll leave the 'definition' of Dudley to someone else. :)

#19 ·
I live in South Dakota and we have a lot of pointing lab breeders, just about every kennel around here and the surrounding states think breeding yellow to chocolate is a great idea it's the basis to their breeding programs. If the yellow only carries yellow and the chocolate only carries chocolate then the litter defaults to black no big deal but then they breed the BYC to CY or BYC to YC so I see a lot of yellow dogs around here with NBP mostly brown noses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.