The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm I doing wrong

Default I'm I doing wrong

Hi, I'm new to the site and first let me say hello and happy to be aboard. I'm a firefighter paramedic her in maryland and the only thing I love greater than that is training with my yellow lab Cheyenne. She is 1.5 yrs old and unfourtunately I lost a lot of time in her training due to paramedic school. But we are moving on nicely and I hope to have her testing for junior soon.

My first question is it wrong to throw toys in the yard for her. She is non-stop energy and loves to retrieve everything. Frisbee, football, basketball. Her favorite is the nerf football that whistles. I try to enforce the same concepts in the yard...ie sit heel steadiness, but probably not to the level I due during training sessions. Please tell me what ya think?

Thanks....Dan
    Dan

Hi smokejmp -- welcome aboard -- Many people will say to never throw anything for your dog other than a bumper or bird, lest they get confused in the field. Right or wrong, I'm here to tell you that my dog knows the difference between business/training (i.e. his bumpers and birds) and playtime (other things) -- I found it most difficult to keep my family from playing with the pup when I wasn't around. We finally settled on anything but bumpers and birds for informal play. The dog does know the difference. Also, to prevent confusion, I do train my pup around decoys and other objects - while training/hunting his only interest is in bumpers or birds. There'll be many who will disagree with me on this but its worked for us.

Default Thanks

Thanks....I feel the same way. I train as much as possible but man does she have some energy. I took all her toys away yesterday and put a bumper out so everyone could use it. Lets just say she was not impressed, so I broke down and gave it all back. I wonder just who's in charge in this relationship.

Dan
    Dan

Dan

Just curious as to what you have planned for your dog. Are you going to hunt with the dog, run hunt tests or is it going to be a family pet ?
    Topgun Retrievers

Brad Haynes
    Dogtra Field Staff
    www.dogtra.com

BIRDS OR BUMPERS.

She will be for all of those I hope. She is a great family pet, doing very well on her training. I'm getting more an more in to duck hunting as less and less deer land is available. I also would like to achieve her hunt test titles mainly to see if we can do it. [/quote]
    Dan

What Cag said. They know the difference between play and work.
    What its prominence suggest, and what all science confirms is that the dog is a creature of the nose- A. Horowitz.

Ria has a kong we play with in the house and that is her only toy. She knows a bumper means we are working.
    Patti

HRCH UH Benton's Magnum Opus MH WC - Magnum (500 points) September 11, 1994 - May 9, 2007
    HRCH UH Fowl Play's Dust Devil - Dusty (500 points) February 5, 1998 - November 15, 2006
    HRCH UH Benton's Ria of Opus CGC - Ria (1520 points) March 2, 2002 - August 6, 2012 we miss you baby girl
    HRCH CH Go West Mamma's Last Nerve CGC - Emma (450 points and counting)
    HR GRCH Benton's Opus Pocket Change CGC- Penny (40 points - just getting started)

Just curious as to what you have planned for your dog. Are you going to hunt with the dog, run hunt tests or is it going to be a family pet
    Can't they be all three?

my kids throw all kinds of toys in the swimming pool for my dog to retrieve. She knows the difference between playing and training. She is a heck of a hunting retriever, just received her SR title this last weekend, and sleeps in bed with us every night.

Quote Originally Posted by okvet
    Just curious as to what you have planned for your dog. Are you going to hunt with the dog, run hunt tests or is it going to be a family pet
    Can't they be all three?

my kids throw all kinds of toys in the swimming pool for my dog to retrieve. She knows the difference between playing and training. She is a heck of a hunting retriever, just received her SR title this last weekend, and sleeps in bed with us every night.
    My dogs are all three above, but they only get bumpers or birds. To get them to pickup a newspaper (when its raining and I don't feel like getting wet), a stray decoy (when we're hunting a shore wearing waders and have no boat) or a neighbor's cat (just seeing if anyone's reading this), I have to give a HOLD command.

To get your pup interested in picking up bumpers, put a couple of drops of eau de duck on it. Gun Dog Supply and other places sell duck, quail and other scents.