The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you guys know so much?

Default How do you guys know so much?

this is not a rant but i see so many post on this forum on who to breed to and who not to breed to. Have you guys ever seen these dogs run that YOU recomend? I see post after post on this dog or that and i bet the person opening thier mouth has never seen this dog work in person. Just because a dog gets promotted doesnt mean he is that great or a great producer. Look at how many points they have, how many times the finish vs how many times they are entered. MOST FCS or AFCS have ONE win in thier lifetime. Just remember before you talk someone into spending a bunch of money on a breeding know what you are talking about. REGARDS!!

Well that was a rant , but a well thought out one with a great point.
    Misty Marsh Gun Dog Supplies is your source for Elsema remote release electronics, Dogtra, Sport Dog, Tri-Tronics, Armadillo foam, Dokken, Gunners Up wingers, Retriever Specalists, Alfa, Smartworks, and more. www.mistymarsh.com

Banned

very very good point and I have been guilty of the other but you made me think.

For kips comments.
    My dream breeding was on the bed with me last week. He was on the derby list and had a Qualifying win. He went to the final series in his first Open.

I try not to push the dogs I am assocaited with, that speaks of kennel blindness as though I think they are the greatest.
    cave canem...beware of the dog
    Richard Halstead (halst001 at yahoo.com)

http://www.browndogmafia.com/finalists.html

Default Re: How do you guys know so much?

Quote Originally Posted by kip
    this is not a rant but i see so many post on this forum on who to breed to and who not to breed to. Have you guys ever seen these dogs run that YOU recomend? I see post after post on this dog or that and i bet the person opening thier mouth has never seen this dog work in person. Just because a dog gets promotted doesnt mean he is that great or a great producer. Look at how many points they have, how many times the finish vs how many times they are entered. MOST FCS or AFCS have ONE win in thier lifetime. Just remember before you talk someone into spending a bunch of money on a breeding know what you are talking about. REGARDS!!
    How do I know so much?

Because I always stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

I never comment on breedings regards,

Gut
    These are field trials and the people involved largely don't understand a normal day much less a "normal days hunt".

Default Re: How do you guys know so much?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Guthrie
    How do I know so much?

Because I always stay at a Holiday Inn Express. i tried that and it didnt help me one bit on anything.

I never comment on breedings regards,

Gut

NOT TO HI-JACK Kip's post, but sitting here at work, bored to tears, it kind of got me thinking about a few things about breeding like,

1. When a male wins a National he, or his sire, seem to immediately become the flavor of the month.

2. Do you have to be a "player" to breed successfully?

3. Do titles make great sires and dams?

4. What about the untitled dogs like Super Powder and Esprit's Out of the Woods, just to name a few, who have sired several titled pups. (Yes, most of the people who initially bred to these dogs knew them well).

5. How many "super dogs" have cosistently sired "super dud" litters when bred to both titled and weak females; never reaching near their success as a competitor.

6. How many untitled vs. titled bitches have whelped titled pups

7. How many "non-players" have successfully bred Field Trial titled pups by doing tons of research on what dogs have nicked well with certain bitches out of similar breedings?

8. Is there a proven formula?

WE ALL KNOW IT'S REALLY A CRAP SHOOT. I personally believe (and I'm a nobody) in the ole' great pedigree plus great pedigree = A GOOD CHANCE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by David Maddox
    NOT TO HI-JACK Kip's post, but sitting here at work, bored to tears, it kind of got me thinking about a few things about breeding like,

1. When a male wins a National he, or his sire, seem to immediately become the flavor of the month.

2. Do you have be a "player" to breed successfully?

3. Do titles make great sires and dams?

4. What about the untitled dogs like Super Powder and Esprit's Out of the Woods, just to name a few, who have sired several titled pups. (Yes, most of the people who initially bred to these dogs knew them well).

5. How many "super dogs" have cosistently sired "super dud" litters when bred to both titled and weak females; never reaching near their success as a competitor.

6. How many untitled vs. titled bitches have whelped titled pups

7. How many "non-players" have successfully bred Field Trial titled pups by doing tons of research on what dogs have nicked well with certain bitches out of similar breedings?

8. Is there a proven formula?

WE ALL KNOW IT'S REALLY A CRAP SHOOT. I personally believe in the ole' great pedigree plus great pedigree = A good CHANCE!!!
    same here back at the office after sping season. your right in what you said. its just some much bull shit gets posted here. yea supertanker was a national champion but he won it and never got wet over his knees. now who has ever said that.

yea supertanker was a national champion but he won it and never got wet over his knees. now who has ever said that.
    Did he walk on water?

Sorry, couldn't help it.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz
    yea supertanker was a national champion but he won it and never got wet over his knees. now who has ever said that.
    Did he walk on water?

Sorry, couldn't help it.
    he thought he could. 8)