The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: * * To Tired To Think * *

Default * * To Tired To Think * *

Well, I think my brain is in vapor lock or something. I'm plum tuckered out from Teaching Shcool, Training Dogs, and Whelping Pups. And think my brain has gone on vacation 2 weeks early. Doesn't seem like a big problem, but I just can't get the brain working. So Here We Go:

I have a dog that has shown up for training. High Bred Dog. Lots of energy, for all intentions looks like a jam up prospect. Working on Obedience and things are going great. So not a problem.

Retrieving has stumped me. She is a fire ball out to the bumper. I throw a bumper from my side, and she is tearing it up. A couple weekends ago, I started extending distance on the retrieving. Set up my Zinger's and went to work. Things were great in changing from a side throw to a Winger throw. Got out to about 100 yards, and was great. Added a little cover and we had problems.

She Will Not Set Up A Hunt...

She will take a great line towards the bumper, get within the area she thinks the bumpers should be. Stops and looks, and turns around and comes straight back. No Hunt what so ever. Straight out there, Looks, and straight back. Not even a thought of hunting.

Go to a clear field where when you throw the bumper at 100 yards, it is shining like a diamond in a goats @$$, and she is all over it. Mild cover and she is screwed. I have started working with the orange bumpers in shorter marks, hoping that not seeing them as well, will keep her a few more seconds looking. But haven't been working enough to know what we are going to get with it.

Any ideas to encourage stamina in setting up the hunt ? ? ? ?
    What am I to dinged out to see ? ? ? ? Doesn't seem like it should be hard, but I am coming up with ZIP, NOT'A, ZERO....

I just can't seem to get a thought process in the direction that I think I need to go. Help and tired, old man out. cooter
    If they are still moving their feet @ SIT. They still don't have SIT down.

Kristie Wilder

How old is she?

I've had two dogs that did this. They were both very young when I saw it (5 months??). They were dead on markers and never HAD to hunt any of their puppy marks.

It was pretty funny because when I started challenging them with marks that required a little hunt, they would get out there, come to a complete stop, look down at the ground, back up at me and come back in. It wasn't like they were "quitting" in the sense of lack of desire or too much pressure, etc. They just KNEW it was EXACTLY there and when it wasn't, for them, it just wasn't... It was really "funny" to watch the thought process.

There were a couple of simple things I did... One was throw some "hunty" marks that were shorter (50-100 yards). Make sure you're using birds so there's lots to scent. You can salt the area with multiple birds. You can also heavily scent the area prior to throwing if you don't want to use birds to salt the area. Give them something to hunt...

Neither of the two dogs that had the problem for any period of time. they were both well bred. High desire, intelligent. They're both now master hunters and qualified for the master national (one's 2 and one's 4).

They just needed to learn how to hunt.

-K

Banned

Birds, birds and more birds. Try having a person throw to keep the puupy/dog in the fall area. People work much better than wingers.

Angie

Quote Originally Posted by Angie B
    Birds, birds and more birds. Try having a person throw to keep the puupy/dog in the fall area. People work much better than wingers.

Angie
    My thoughts exactly.
    Topgun Retrievers

Brad Haynes
    Dogtra Field Staff
    www.dogtra.com

Banned

what about planting the area with several bumpers, or start doing some hunt em up things with birds in cover while you are walking with her.

I can only speak for what I have done with my own dogs - Usually I start out in shin high grass and have a bird boy throw lots of "walking singles" - Starting out at about 10-15 yards and extending from there . -- This may not work for ya but it's worth a try and has worked for me --

Trying to help the new pup out anyway I can regards,

Tom
    ________
    NEW MEXICO MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARY
    Last edited by Tom H.; 02-22-2011 at 06:23 PM.

I asked a pro friend of mine when I had a similar problem. He said I had to do more training with gunner/throwers. Use a radio or signal to tell them when to holler or throw another dummy/duck. He said lots of walking singles, and that the gunner should always get the pups attention before it starts to come back.
    mrgd

DISCLAIMER
    "You may not think I'm funny but I do, please don't take anything I say seriously because it's probably not."

Kristie Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by MRGD
    I asked a pro friend of mine when I had a similar problem. He said I had to do more training with gunner/throwers. Use a radio or signal to tell them when to holler or throw another dummy/duck. He said lots of walking singles, and that the gunner should always get the pups attention before it starts to come back.
    EEEk, good point that I'm so sorry I hadn't included in my reply. This is why human gunners are SO important for young dogs. Young dogs should "never" (not sure when there's an exception to this, but still...) come back without a bird. And mechanical equipment just usually isn't very helpful in solving problems like this.

You can also help by doing things like having the gunner stay standing, having the gun holler prior to throwing (getting dog more focused/excited about the AOF), etc.

-K

Maybe salt the aof with some more bumpers?
    Jason S

I'm no pro, so you can take my thoughts with a grain of salt. I have a Kweezy puppy that was like this at 4-6 months of age. I was stretching her out to 100+ yards on marks and was bringing in some light cover. She either came down on top of the bird or would miss it and turn around and look at me. I had gunners to help, but she didn't seem to be getting the idea of hunting. It seems her mom was also like this as a young pup.

I talked the the pro I was intending to use, Steve Blythe. He suggested getting her amped up on pigeons - which I'd alread done. He says clip the wing feathers and start throwing some live flapping birds into light cover. See if that gets her hunting. Worked like a charm.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)