RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

It is somewhat amazing......

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  KwickLabs 
#1 ·
that our dogs can go all out everyday. And it is probably a good thing we can't see the split second "situations" that are so typical.
This had me thinking about several "what ifs" after viewing it. We were in a state run dog training area which had not been mowed
all summer. I realize now that training there is not safe. Nothing happened....but there is this photo.

See less See more
#3 ·
that our dogs can go all out everyday. And it is probably a good thing we can't see the split second "situations" that are so typical.
This had me thinking about several "what ifs" after viewing it. We were in a state run dog training area which had not been mowed
all summer. I realize now that training there is not safe. Nothing happened....but there is this photo.

I gotta say, that is one very cool photo. Point taken on how hard driving can lead to an accident. Had a five month old driving to a mark and went through a knee-high cover field and through a tuft of grass slightly denser than the surroundings. Turned out there was an 18" boulder with grass around it -- the ensuing cartwheel was very scary, and sent a message to preview lines before sending on marks. I have to deal with enough hidden barbed wire in pheasant fields, no sense in having training areas full of hazards when it could be prevented.

#5 ·
The stick.

Years ago my two lab mixes were running around the woods of Montana - racing around and chasing each other. Heard a yelp and the younger of the two came limping up to me. She had a 1/2" diameter stuck protruding into her chest. Vet said it had been lodged very near her lung. We were lucky.

While we owe it to our dogs to make sure they are in an area safe to run or pla...walk training grounds, etc.....it is also wise to remember we can't prevent every accident, either. Chit happens, unfortunately.

#6 ·
Yeah. It's scary. I'm constantly walking out training fields. Groundhogs are a PITA in particular. Alfalfa fields that have just been harvested are hell on feet too. Most people don't realize that. And those pesky ditches covering in long green fescue. Makes it look like solid ground.

#7 ·
I always put my chest waders on when judging/training on natural grounds NOT club owned grounds to check for submerged dangers. Deadly for big water entry dogs. Had a buddy a few years back hunting on Pheasant Forever sponsored closed state hunting grounds have an up and coming Derby dog race to retrieve a bird and impaled himself/died on a angled upright hunting arrow. Need I go on? No. Dogs have small brains.

#9 ·
The "stick" in the photo pointed out (no pun intended) the issue. Since the area was not mowed all summer, there
were many clumps of weeds that grew tall with thick stalks. When upright, they present few problems. However,
as we walked through the area invariably some of the stalks (now dead and stiff) would break off or tip over at an
angle. Most all were thick enough to be dangerous if encountered straight on (maybe not for serious body punctures
but certainly for the eyes). Even a small sliver left in a slight puncture could end up creating a big problem.

After Pounce ran, I brought out Daisy for some exercise. She is 12 years old, not nearly as fast as Pounce and her eyesight
is failing. She ran four very short singles and had some blood on the eyelid of her right eye. She is due to have a small
eyelid tumor removed next week. Since it protrudes a bit, that was where the blood was coming from. Combining Daisy's
"sign" with Pounce's photo, the light went on. The more I walked through the area the more of these stalks were being
tipped over.

Here is a "shot" showing some of the thicker stalked weeds (not knocked over....yet). Then again this would not be
unusual when hunting in the uplands.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.