RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Long Blinds- Whistle Choice??

13K views 48 replies 29 participants last post by  Wayne Nissen 
#1 ·
Guys I am a hunt tester, but I'm planning to try some derbies with a couple of my pups next spring. I've been working this winter on long marks and long Blinds with some of the older dogs. I use a sport dog whistle. Of course there are variables that have an impact on the dog's ability to hear my whistle, but once they get 300-350 yards out, I'm having a lot of trouble stopping the dog. It is really frustrating when I get them stopped and give a cast...dog dogs back and I have trouble getting them to stop again. These dogs stop abruptly on the whistle. I don't have any problems until I try and run 300+ yard blinds. Every dog I'm running these with have had slipped whistles on the same day. I'm convinced they are not hearing the whistle- especially if in running water. What whistle is popular among trialers?

#2 ·
Green Monster but no long available.

#3 ·
You know that there are no blinds in a derby?

#5 ·
Dallesasse field trial whistle

#6 · (Edited)
Most use the Dallesasse. A few still swear by the black Mega Clear whistle with pea. A few use the Answer Orange Mega whistle without pea.

Pros and cons of each. You need to learn to blow the Dallesase effectively and time your toots to ensure that the blast makes it way out there at the right time while dog is busting cover or moving in/out of water etc. This is where you see the advantage of the black Mega---easier to trill continuously. The Answer has same pros, cons as the D but is easier to blow and not quite as loud.

According to Dave Rorem, the cork quality in the black Megas vary widely and you may need to go through a bunch to find a good one.

Buy one of each, see what you like, then buy another of the one you like for backup. Dog may need to learn to recognize the new whistle.

As mentioned above, there is a possibility that your dog can really hear your whistle but is just being naughty---distance erodes control...also could be that dog is running through cover or shallow water and can hear nothing but the rustle of grass or water.

#7 ·
Thanks guys. Yes, I know there are no blinds in a derby but I have some HRCH SH dogs- no master titles yet because we are just finishing HRCH SH this past fall and will try to run some masters this spring, and after I watch a trial or two and perhaps run a derby, I might try to run a Q or two with the older dogs.

I really believe the dogs would stop if they are hearing the whistle. They aren't perfect and I'm not saying none of them would ever blow me off- they're dogs- but we have no trouble until the distance gets around 300 or more.

Not sure if I'm blowing the whistle right, but I give it all I have when they are out there. I try and vary my volume by how close the dog is. When they are 350 yards in running water- I give it all I have.

#8 ·
I just bought my first Dallesasse. Used the Mega whistle for years but during training we do 150+ yard blinds and I'm finding it's not enough. I only run hunt tests. It should be interesting to see what it gives me.

#9 ·
I have a hard time blowing the Green Monster and though it's a bit easier, The Dallesasse. They take a lot of air, are pretty front heavy for clamping between my teeth, and seem to pop out of my mouth when I really blow hard. That said, most people have no problems with these larger whistles.

I used the black Gonia mega whistle for years, you do have to cull out the bad ones, but when you find a good one, they work well out to 400 yards or so. I have settled on The Answer the past five years or so. My dogs are used to this pea less, orange whistle, and can hear it way out there as far as a Green Monster. It's strange, because the Answer doesn't sound very loud to my ears, but my dogs hear it fine.

Which ever whistle you use, don't just spring it on your dog, they might not recognize it as "their" whistle. Adapt them to it in training.

#10 ·
I have always had a problem getting enough air through the G. Monster and the Dallasasse, and as mentioned above, the weight was rough on my teeth. A training partner showed me how to put a Gonia Mega inside a Windstorm casing.The BEST WHISTLE EVER for me. It's loud, easy to blow and carries much further than what I was able to get out of the others.

#11 ·
HI,
"
I have always had a problem getting enough air through the G. Monster and the Dallasasse, and as mentioned above, the weight was rough on my teeth. A training partner showed me how to put a Gonia Mega inside a Windstorm casing.The BEST WHISTLE EVER for me. It's loud, easy to blow and carries much further than what I was able to get out of the others."
Can you post a photo?

Thank you

John B

#12 · (Edited)
All you need is a dremel, some crazy glue and about $14 worth of whistles from Amazon. I used the Windstorm and the Gonia Mega. Planning on making a few more, because I really like this and don't want to be without!

#13 ·
It takes waaaaay less air to blow a green monster than it does to blow any other whistle....the dallassasse is close but still requires more effort. I've given up on the mega whistles and the answer...can't get the response needed at 300+. There is a market for the GM...maybe they'll bring it back...

#14 ·
Not for me Joe. I had a green monster and it was fine for short distances. I just could not get enough air through it for really loud blasts when needed quickly. Came out with a sound between a fart and a goose honk.
My little mash up has worked consistently and easily for me in all conditions. Everyone needs to find the one that works for them.

#16 ·
Each whistle has its own advantages and disadvantages. I use the Answer. It is easier to blow and has much faster response time than Monster. And I think that you can get more inflection with an Answer than a Monster. But, I think a Monster is good for about 50 yards more than an Answer.

#18 ·
Personally use the Answer as well.

#19 ·
I used to use the GM all the time, then slowly switched to the Answer. My dogs have done well with it even at long distances, 300-450 + yds. But if the wind is a factor, I still have the GM on my lanyard for this reason. I can blow the Answer quieter closer and blow is quicker/short tweet, when needed that I cannot quite get with the GM.

#20 ·
Maybe this question has been asked but........why no more GM? Seems everyone I talked to wants another one and finding a used one is next to impossible. I love my GM especially here in ND with the wind and some very long blinds with Snow Geese.

#22 ·
Is there much or any difference between the Dallessee and GM? I hate both when I'm judging, the blow out my ear drums. Like I said earlier, the answer sounds quietest of all to my ear, but the dogs seem to hear it way out there. I think through training, they learn to hear different whistles and respond accordingly.

#27 · (Edited)
#28 · (Edited)
#32 ·
There are 2 holes on the bottom of the megaphone where the ring on the whistle that attaches to your lanyard is located. Some air undoubtedly escapes through the holes, sealing them with silicone or other material directs all of the air out the megahone.

#33 ·
Sue, buy one of each and see how you like them. Some people cut a little strip of clear tubing and glue it on the mouth piece to make it easier to clamp your teeth on. Go 400 yards out in the field and have your training partner blow all the whistles to hear for yourself. Bear in mind that dogs hear different than humans. One more thing, your dog is used to listening for the pros whistle and it will take some time before he or she responds well to a new sound.

All age blinds are typically 350-450 yards, right up against the limit of sight and sound for dogs and humans. Even with the best whistle, you will encounter conditions, running water, running into the wind, dog running thru tall grass, where the dog can't hear a whistle regardless. Then there are situations, where the dog decides he can't hear your whistle.

#34 ·
Strap Fashion accessory Electronic device Cable Leather
Like Carol's whistle (but in basic black :) ) VERY easy to blow, very loud and the sound carries WAY out there!! I will never use anything else.

#40 ·
Train with a dalahassee. But was hunting a couple days ago and found myself in a situation with a nearly 500 yard blind in 20 MPH winds on a rice field. And just had my old mega whistle on my duck lanyard. Surprisingly enough got the control I needed with it at a very long distance. And picked up the duck. Didn't really think it would work that far. But did fine.

#42 · (Edited)
I almost obtain procession of 3 "broken" GMs, which the owner thought need to be disposed of; unfortunately clued them into the fact that you can just remove the whistle. Have a friend who has a brand new one still in packaging, as back up for if his become un-repairable. Think he's thinking it will be a collectors "pricey in box" item; only he wont sell it to me ;). Deal with the GM is two parties are disputing the patent, unfortunately by the time it gets solved if ever, most likely everyone will have moved on to something else. I just keep removing the whistle and putting a new one in, but if the shroud ever goes, we will have issues.

Many years ago the contestants tested all available whistles in different condition with different dogs at SRS, the GM won out, followed by the Orange pea-less and Mega. This was before the Dallassee was available so it wasn't tested. Roaring Wind and running water being the hardest to hear in.

If it's btw the Mega and the Orange Pea-less (answer), I have found that the pea can stick at most inopportune times, thus I prefer the pea-less. Still I personally dislike both of their sounds, they hit a tone for me that is highly unpleasant, so GM all the way. Had a dallasee, they are heavier and require a lot more air, their hunt-tester, while using the same tornado whistle, is smaller but very hard to blow (harder than the bigger dallassee) and has a distracting tone, to me. Attempted to put a tornado into a mega shroud, it works but hard to get the sound to project out so you get an unshrouded fox 40 head-ache by the end of the day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.