PRA tests

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  jackh 
#1 ·
Sire:
prcd-PRA status: Optigen 08-4766 Clear
PRA1 status: Optigen 08-4766 Clear

Dam:
prcd-PRA status: Clear

This dog is prcd-PRA clear by parentage, right? But he should still get PRA1 and PRA2 test done? If the dog is clear or carrier on all three, does he still need annual eye exams? I am trying to educate myself on genetics and health clearances more. Thanks for the help.

#2 ·
ALWAYS do annual eye exams. I was taught by many long time breeders to do exams at 7 weeks and then yearly. I quit at about 11 or 12. There are not genetic tests for all types of eye problems.

#6 ·
I believe this to be excellent advice, but why stop at 11 or 12? The exams let you know what is going on with their eyes. When my now 13 year year old Golden turned 7, the exam showed that she was starting to develop cataracts which explained why her marking was falling off and I retired her. My 17 year old Golden has had them every year thus far.

#3 ·
These genetic tests are really in their infancy, so I would still recommend eye exams. There are other things to look for and it helps validate the DNA tests. I think we need to help develop the science by continuing to do the older standard tests. That is why I, personally, do not believe in "clear by parentage", once we know 100% of everything about DNA and these diseases then that is probably valid. Do not see that happening in my lifetime--LOL

#4 ·
Thanks for the responses. So my understanding is this: the dog is prcd-pra clear by parentage but it's still a good idea to have this test done, and he still needs pra1 and pra2 test. These three tests are all a one time thing for the life of the dog. The annual OFA eye exams are to check for other hereditary diseases that there is no genetic test for yet. Is this all correct?

#8 ·
You are correct that the offspring of the tested parents is "clear by parentage". Such a dog can be bred and considered "clear" for breeding purposes. However, that dog's offspring (according to protocol established by other breeds) should be tested before breeding. "Clear by parentage" cannot be extended.

Optigen has a "special deal" for prcd testing for a dog both whose parents tested clear by Optigen ... $95. This price comes down with discounts by close to 50% when doing more than one test during a clinic or "discount days." Check Optigen's website for both of those special dates.

PRA1 and PRA2 are different mutations, so you still have to test this dog for those two. I have seen at least two dogs turn up on k9data that have tested as carriers for PRA2. Both totally North American lines. So far I have not seen any North American dogs who have shown the PRA1 mutation. PRA1 seems to occur mostly in UK/Euro bloodlines.

These two latter tests run about $48 each when done with discount prices in conjunction with other tests.

So, all three of these can be done for about $150 from the same DNA sample (blood or cheek swabs)

There is one more test, considered less serious, generally, but highly prevalent in all North American Goldens: Ichthyosis. This is a skin disease. In some other breeds ICT can be very serious. In some Goldens it can also be pretty annoying. Lots of skin scales. The lowest price on this one from Optigen is about $80. The test was developed by a French company (Antagene) and the won't do more than a 20% discount off their regular price of $120. Results on this test can take longer to arrive since Antagene will not allow Optigen to perform the test. Optigen extracts the DNA & then sends it to France for testing.

There is also another test for DM ... a neurological disease (which also occurs in other breeds). This disease is considered very, very rare in Goldens. There is also a test for a form of muscular dystrophy, but since that disease usually results in death of the affected dog by around 2 years of age, it is also very rare in Goldens, as symptoms are probably evident before the dog might be bred.

DNA tests are good for the life of the dog ... DNA doesn't change. It is what it is.

Retinal dysplasia, Golden Retriever Uveitis (a/k/a "pigmentary uveitis") and inherited cataracts also occur in Goldens. There may be other inherited eye diseases, but I haven't heard about them specifically. Pigmentary Uveitis, when detected early, may be treatable in some dogs. It can also lead to eye removal, and the disease, itself, can be painful to the dog. No DNA tests for these yet, so physical eye exams are a must. PU can occur later in life, so checking dogs until death is recommended. Even a late-onset parent can produce offspring that have a much earlier onset. While PU is not as common in field lines as it is in show lines, it does occur in field lines.

No DNA test for hypothyroidism either. Some hypothyroidism involves the immune system. Other times it is considered "equivocal" as being low. Depends on the numbers of test results. MSU is considered by most to be the "gold standard" for thyroid testing. Even with MSU testing there can be variations depending on when the blood is drawn.

I'm sure this more than you ever wanted to know!

#7 ·
Obviously if you suspect a problem in an older dog you would take it to the ophthalmologist. From a breeding standpoint, the hereditary eye problems show up by age 8 or so in Labs, so no need to check after that point for hereditary conditions.

Meredith

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.