The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think my youngest dog almost passed out...

Default I think my youngest dog almost passed out...

Hey guys n gals. I got off work this afternoon at 5, and of coarse when I get home, both the dogs are waiting at the door. I let them out, and they both grab the frisbee. The temp today is 18*c (not sure what that is in Farenhiet..any how, I played for a couple of minutes, and then had to go inside to do a few chores and Rene continued to play for probably max of 10 minutes. He let both dogs in and they got a drink of water. thats all fine and dandy. I am getting ready to go uptown, and Pyper is standing with her nose in the corner of the door panting and it looked like she was sucking the cool air from the crack. I open the back door for them to go out and when I get back to the porch, Pyper is just standing there. I called her, and she didn't move. I called again, and she just stood there panting, so I walked towards her and noticed she was almost bracing herself to keep from falling over. I held onto her, and she was swaying like she was gonna faint. I laid her down and she just kept staring straight ahead panting. I got some water, and put some drops from my fingers into her mouth, and practically poured the rest of her bowl over her. I soaked her front and back feet and turned the fan on her. She wouldn't get up. She did this for about 15 minutes, and of coarse when I called the vet, all she said was he would call me back, which, he still hasn't. She is fine now, and of coarse wants to go back outside, but I am not letting her go out.

Its nice out side, but its not a scorcher. LIke I mentioned above, its only 18 outside. She only played for a few minutes, mind you....if anyone knew Pyper...she runs flat out and she runs hard and fast. I have just never seen her do this before. We have played them out while training, or just having fun, but she has never almost passed out on me.

Is this from playing outside when its warm? We didn't do anything out of the ordinary with the dogs today......what happened to her?

She is eating fine and drinking as well.....

I'll tell you one thing....I really didn't like that one little bit. I don't know what I would do if something happened to either of my dogs.
    NO TRESPASSING!!!! VIOLATORS WILL BE SHOT.....SURVIVORS WILL BE SHOT AGAIN.

I am sorry about your dog, and I hope it is well, but I must say, I misunderstood you thread title.

I thought you were saying, "[There is] a small tiny freak out here." I was expecting some good old fashion name calling like, "so and so is a small tiny freak."

sorry

tt
    mrgd

DISCLAIMER
    "You may not think I'm funny but I do, please don't take anything I say seriously because it's probably not."

Maybe she/he already had a low fever or something.
    mrgd

DISCLAIMER
    "You may not think I'm funny but I do, please don't take anything I say seriously because it's probably not."

Debbi thats scary. How old is Pyper? I do not know cent like you dont know farenheit so dont know how warm it was. Here today it was 82* when I got home, so all my dog could do was a couple of short casts and some "hold" work, no running and it took him 30 minutes to stop panting. (at least he didnt lay flat like you described, allthough he does lay up against the A/C vents to help cool off.) Please let us know what the vet says.

sent PM
    "When dogs make mistakes, don't hold it against the dog! Point the finger at yourself." -- Rex Carr

Happiness is puppy breath!!!!!

"FC" stands for Friend and Companion!!!!!

Ducksoup Kennels
    Home Of The Springwaters Quick To Maxx (my "FC")
    Mike Ormsby, Ontario, Canada

Any chance this was seizure? My late dog had them and they always seemed to happen after she had been running around...but not everytime. I hope everything is okay!!

18 degrees C is a little over 64 degrees F. PM sent.

I just talked to the Emergency vet. She is pleased that Pyper appears to be her happy bouncy self. She said to make sure she drinks her water, but not to feed her to much. She had already had her supper and lots to drink after this happened. She told me to keep her quiet and keep a close eye on her, and if I notice anything else, or this happens again, to bring her in. Its a 3 hour drive to the Vet,but that doesn't matter to me. They said they would probably do an EKG and some blood work if I did end up bringing her in, and that she didn't think it was a stroke.

Pyper is almost a year and a half right now.

Yardlylabs...thank you for the link. I have to say, this does almost sound like what happened. I would have to say that Pyper has an intense, excitable personality as well as an excitable temperament and lots of drive.
    Nothing happened while she was playing, and I have never seen this in her before tonight. She wasn't wobbly while outside, and didn't slow down any either.
    When I went to sit her down because she wouldn't walk towards me, her back end did seemed to be weaker and her balance was off a bit. She didn't collaps, I tried to lay her down, but she wanted to be upright ( not sitting)

I almost wish we didn't have access to this kind of information, because its quite scary when you see things that could pertain to you or one of your pets....

you guys are the best. thank you.

Kristie Wilder

Could be EIC... like I assume is what you saw on that link.

How has the humidity been? If it hasn't been "warm" for a while (and I'm assuming 64 is "warm" for now up there) and the humidity is high, you can have an overheating episode in those conditions.

How did she act for the rest of the day?

It's more than likely one of the two things above.

Let's hope it's not EIC....

There are other thermoregulatory things that can happen.

And check with your vet about the ideal way to recover her from an episode because you generally don't want to put anything in their mouth or "force" them to drink because you can cause them to aspirate. You also want to let them self-monitor as far as moving. Let them move around as much as they'll do on their own -- if they get still and the blood is moving slow, they can throw a clot. So if they can get up and move a little, let them... Best areas to cool are armpits and groin. Let cool water get down to the skin by working it through the hair...

Get the dog into A/C and in front of a fan ASAP as moving air over the body is one of the best ways to cool

Also, keep a thermometer on hand so you can check body temp. Issue here is that EIC and overheating and typical working body temp are often the same, but it will give you some idea of what's going on...

Check with vet re: my info above because I'm not a vet, but this is what we do in a case of overheating.

Hope she's feeling better...