The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Rope for training

Default Rope for training

Where do people usually get their training rope? I heard some people say to go to a local mountaneering store and have it made there. I called a local store and they told me that they don't make any ropes like that. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, do I just the a clasp on one end and a loop on the other end of the rope? I was thinking about 40 ft length; is there a better length to get?

The inexpensive yellow poly-what's-it-plastic braided rope you'll find at Walmart makes as good of checkchord as most anything, as it's stiff and slick and not prone to whipping around brush and hanging up. Especially good for retrievers, because it floats pretty well and isn't as apt to tangle a swimming dog's feet as most rope.

DO NOT put loop in its end, as that might hang on something and give a running pup's neck a heck of a jerk. DO wear gloves and long pants to avoid friction burns.

(I've not checkchorded a retriever, and the above is coming from a pointing dog training perspective. If those who checkchord retrievers say it's sorry advice, please refer to my signature line.)
    If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2012-2013 season log)

I use the cheap yellow poly stuff too. It works well for me. I just burn the back end a little bit to keep it from unraveling, but no knots or anything in the end.

tt
    mrgd

DISCLAIMER
    "You may not think I'm funny but I do, please don't take anything I say seriously because it's probably not."

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hall
    (I've not checkchorded a retriever, and the above is coming from a pointing dog training perspective. If those who checkchord retrievers say it's sorry advice, please refer to my signature line.)
    no, it is just right 8)
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin