RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Gunners Up vs Zinger Winger

21K views 47 replies 34 participants last post by  Tobias 
#1 ·
Looking to purchase 2 new wingers soon and wanted to get opinions on what you guys prefer. There seems to be a very small amount of difference between the two.

#4 ·
My mini Zinger Wingers have proven to be very durable for a number of years. On top of that, I like to place my support with the company who developed the product in its infancy. I use the minis because they fit in my car, RV and even my super cub, whereas the longer versions won't fit. Yes, I do load 2 minis, and my dog in my plane and fly out to train occasionally, landing in a special place or two.

#5 ·
Zinger will throw a tad farther than GU, however, if you are going to have inexperienced people (bird boys in a hunt test, etc) using them, I think the release system on the GU is safer.

#8 ·
I used GU son of guns for years, sold them last summer and just bought a brand new ZW II, (On sale for 299.00) it throws great and the hinges are a lot stronger than the hinges on the GU. I have folded up several hinges on GU because of how I load them.

#11 ·
Do you have to use remote releases with all zingers or do they have manual releases too? If purchasing one with electronics what is the preferred package and website to purchase from? Seems like Gun Dog Supply is popular.

#13 ·
I have four ZW G4's and think they are very good equipment. Mine are about 3 years old now and I have had to replace two servos, and recently two wire harnesses. The ones I have you can tie a string to the release mechanism to operate it manually and I'm pretty sure they use the same release on all their stuff. I went with Dogtra recievers on mine because I have had good luck with their electronics in the past. Got my receivers rained on once last year and one of the "quacker" speakers stopped working. Bought my wingers on sale directly from ZW but I bought the electronics from a guy that had just become a dealer for Dogtra and gave me a good discount.

#14 ·
Hey, Kirk Keene, I am from Southern IL and will be retiring to my property there this summer. Tried to PM you but your message board is full. Looking to get with other dog people in So. IL so PM me and let's compare notes.

#16 ·
Zinger is a better made product. Used them for around 12 years. Tried New GU's but by far prefer Zinger. Zinger II is your best bang for the buck. Will throw just as well as the field trailer but smaller and easier to store or carry. Slightly larger than the mini but all around best product for my $$$

#17 ·
I couldn't see spending the extra dollars on the zinger - both products throw birds or bumpers or dokkens quite well. I have the Gunners Up Son of a Gun models and like them. I have never had an ounce of problem and use them nearly daily in the summer (not so much in the winter). I used the extra money to buy dokkens. :)

#21 ·
Using a Mini Zinger now for ft training. We stake it down and use a manual string release with an arm throw from the gunner. Works very well and our thrower has no problem loading it.

#27 · (Edited)
I drive a Ford, have a Canon camera, train a yellow dog, use a Phowler duck boat, shoot a 12 gauge Bennelli auto, voted for Trump
and use Hillmann's program. In addition, three Gunner's Up Wingers were purchased. According to many, my choices are all wrong. :)

p.s. I do have a Zinger "Uplander" and like it. However, it is not ideal for anyone with tunnel carpal syndrome.

#28 · (Edited)
KwickLabs #27 ..Too funny...

I drive Chevy Silverado, have a Cannon camera, have a Bushnell Binocs and Range-finder, have a Gruman Sport Boat, 12 gauge pump Winchester(1977), have had only Chocolate labs since 1977 (2 current), three Zinger Wingers since 2002, Use my TriTronic Pro 500 XL only 15% of the time (two baD KNEES TO RUN OUT) , AND BELIEVE ALL TRIALS SHOULD BE JUDGED WITH EXTREME FAIRNESS(NO BUDDY POINTS) AND FOLLOW FAIR CHASE IN HUNTING. iCONOCLAST

PS Saunders was not going to win so. voted for Trump to kill TPP Know Hillman and trained with him in MN. Bought his newer DVDs but knew it already. Learned one new tra8ning option. An old dog who still can learn. Passed them on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.