The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Heats effect on training performance?

Default Heats effect on training performance?

Another thread got me thinking about how our training session went (or didnt) this morning. On Monday, we had one of the best days we have ever had. We did a nice, not huge, triple and were spot on the "taught" blind we are starting to work on. I was so proud, my boy out did his much more advanced training buddies on that day. It was about 79* at 7:30 AM, a little humid but not yet stifling. This morning, out at the same time, it was 81* with noticeably greater humidity. My poor dog could not do ANYTHING right! He hunted the short mark on the triple, would not even look in the general direction of the same blind we had been using, when I blew a "sit" whistle he came in, when I blew a "come in" he ran away and jumped in the creek. Was he having trouble because of slight increase in heat index, or was he just blowing me off because he wanted to play in the water? I ended up having to burn him bad just to get him to sit and come back to me. We did finally accomplish the blind by me taking him up to within 10 feet of it, but none of it was remotely like Monday. Is it heat or attitude or combo of both? Should I just not go when we reach this particular heat index?

Heat could very well have been a factor! If this is unusual behavior for your dog, I would try the same set up early in the AM, before it gets hot.

I have a dog that is susceptable to heat so my training sessions in the heat are short.
    <--- Dooey, MH
    MHR Duckmates Fly Guy MH 05/17/94 - 07/17/08 "Flyboy"
    Candlewood Court Magician JH 1/31/02 - 8/2/12 "Magic Man"

Richard

Agreed - but knowing Indy - It could very well be a bit of both.

Remember - no matter what the dog ...

DO YOUR BEST to set each dog up to be successful at what you are trying to accomplish. Taking all factors into consideration.

Sometimes when WE have time to train the weather does not cooperate. Better to leave training for a time and circumstance that will give you BOTH the best performance possible.

Kristie Wilder

Be very very careful about burning or doing ANY sort of correction when you are not SURE that it's a lack of effort.

Dogs going to water in the middle of training are usually HOT unless they're not driven to work and are trying to bolt or quit. I don't think this is Indy's style from what you've told me about him.

Hunting is SUPER and is not something to be looked down upon regardless of difficulty of a mark. While we all enjoy a pinned mark, watching a dog put on a smart hunt and dig up a bird can be just as rewarding because you KNOW they marked it and are digging it out and staying in the area, etc.

If it's especially hot, it may be a good idea to keep training simple and keep you multiples broken down (normally a good idea to run a low percentage of full triples -- run most triples broken down as singles/doubles and singles to prevent bad habits in young dogs).

Anyway, my first thought just from what I read was that he was hot... But not being there and not knowing Indy personally, can't say for sure of course.

Another issue is if the dog is in full sun en route, if there's any wind, etc. etc. Some setups are just hotter than others. As a rule, anything we run in full sun on a hot day is going to have some water in it...

Hang in there!!!

-K

Dan. Kristie, you are both right. It was too hot, but I think what bothered me was that on Monday, it worked out great. On Thursday I did not even have my dog with me! This evening I took him out in the back yard, and he did super on his casting. The only reason I "burnt" him was that he was absolutely ignoring me and he picked up the blind then proceeded to carry it into the creek, totally ignorning my sit or come in. I think at the end of the day, Indy still plays his own game when it suits him. I have to be very very careful about setting him up with a potential for failure like the heat. He runs very hot anyway, so it just may be that training is out for us for the summer.

Training is OUT! NO way ....

Wake up early - or stay up late

You've seen my dogs ... I do 90% of their training on my own with no / little help and limited use of land. Just have patience, set him up for success, take your time, and have a plan if something goes "crazy"

Kristie Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall
    Dan. Kristie, you are both right. It was too hot, but I think what bothered me was that on Monday, it worked out great. On Thursday I did not even have my dog with me!
    Doesn't matter what he did the other day unless you're working on building a "theme" or similar concept to what he did before. If you absolutely didn't have your dog with you, then even LESS reason to correct. Dogs can have bad days just like us. They can have aches and pains or bad days, or whatever... And we have to give them the benefit of the doubt UNLESS there's a TREND. ESPECIALLY when it's an isolated incident that you absolutely cannot explain based on past behavior -- i.e., since he did so well on Monday, then there must be something REALLY WRONG for him to do so awful on the day in question -- then you need to "make book" and watch for a TREND and THEN correct IF it's appropriate.

This evening I took him out in the back yard, and he did super on his casting. The only reason I "burnt" him was that he was absolutely ignoring me and he picked up the blind then proceeded to carry it into the creek, totally ignorning my sit or come in. I think at the end of the day, Indy still plays his own game when it suits him. I have to be very very careful about setting him up with a potential for failure like the heat. He runs very hot anyway, so it just may be that training is out for us for the summer.
    He has the "right" to ignore you when there's a physical condition (any sort of pain or discomfort that's clearly causing a problem). If there's any chance a dog isn't able to perform for a physical reason -- being too hot is included -- we have no business forcing them to listen unless they are about to get hit by a truck. So you have a dog that isn't listening, he's obviously hot (ESPECIALLY if he laid in the creek - if he splashed around, I'd say differently) and he just did a super job a day or two ago... You have a choice -- you either a) let him cool off or b) force him to listen. I don't think there's a question of which is the good and fair choice. Let him cool off, leave him be, and get back to work the next day...

PS -- there's a current thread on overheating... there are several suggestions there to help a hot dog run cooler...

-K

I back up Kristie's post. When it's hot, what's wrong with singles? The need to always do triples is way down on my list. Simplify. I can't think when it's hot and humid either.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Thanks for the replies. I would like to know where I could find more info on keeping my dog cool. He tends to "run hot". I have noticed that his tongue is always hanging out even before we start, definitely more than his training partners. I always attributed it to excitement because from the minute I pick up my whistle, hat or whatever, he starts bouncing and barking. I did not mean to sound like I expect him to be as good day after day, just wondered if the very drastic difference was because of the increased humidity level. He was "off" before we ever retrieved the first dummy. And yes, he was splashing in the creek, not just laying in it.
    I think I need to find an air conditioned gym for him to train in! We are already out by 6:30, dont think my partners are going to be willing to go any earlier, and it doesnt seem to cool off at all until after dark. So any ideas to keeping him cool would be hugely appreciated.

Kristie Wilder

Thanks for the replies. I would like to know where I could find more info on keeping my dog cool. He tends to "run hot". I have noticed that his tongue is always hanging out even before we start, definitely more than his training partners. I always attributed it to excitement because from the minute I pick up my whistle, hat or whatever, he starts bouncing and barking. I did not mean to sound like I expect him to be as good day after day, just wondered if the very drastic difference was because of the increased humidity level. He was "off" before we ever retrieved the first dummy. And yes, he was splashing in the creek, not just laying in it.
    I think I need to find an air conditioned gym for him to train in! We are already out by 6:30, dont think my partners are going to be willing to go any earlier, and it doesnt seem to cool off at all until after dark. So any ideas to keeping him cool would be hugely appreciated.
    Rule #1 -- no bouncing and certainly no barking when you get your whistle out. excitement ok. out of control not ok. it's a recent thread here about signs of overheating. should still be on first page. Actually just got bumped to pg 2

http://retrievertraining.net/forums/...ic.php?t=44400