The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help problem solving

Default Need help problem solving

I've let Ram-Jet-Rocket-Dog get away with too much and today she was hopelessly out of control. Got it. We're both doing hard time now. I know how I've let the genie out of the bottle and we'll be better from now on. But... there is a problem I'm not sure how to solve.

Rocket dog has, in the past, worn a bark collar because she was just working herself into a complete lather on the truck and was JFN when her turn came. Fine. She's much better about that now. I even took the bark collar off of her. BECAUSE, she's found out how to defeat the collar with a high pitched squeak. And I have high frequency hearing loss and can't tell she's doing it when I'm not near (within 10 feet of) the truck. But that matters little... she knows to NOT do it when I'm near the truck. So here I am for 2 hours working a winger, meanwhile, she's squeaking away at every dog that walked by the truck. Plus (likely) every time a duck call sounded or a gun went off.

So I have to address the squeaking, somehow. Here are my ideas...
    (1) Let her wear the bark collar any way since it will make her think a little about her noise level
    (2) Run first, before she gets completely spastic.
    (3) Have the regular e-collar on her and leave my transmitter on the tailgate and ask everyone in my training group to give her a QUIET! and a button if she's squeaking at them or their dog.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

The problem with dogs & noise in training groups, is that some trainers are a lot more diligent about it than others. I certainly don't know what the situation is in your group but it is very hard to keep a high energy dog totally quiet if other dogs nearby are making noise. I know this is not the original question but it could be part of the problem, noise feeds off of noise.

I'm not a fan of letting someone else use the transmitter. If you want to select ONE person you trust help maybe.

I wish I had answers to the other questions.

Sorry you've gotten into this situation, I'm sure your about to get an ear full.
    I got this! It ain't rocket surgery!

Radios. One on truck in dogs hole, one with you. Ecollar on her, transmitter with you. Don't let others burn your dog on truck me thinks.
    Park truck far away from action and positioned so dog has no view of other dogs.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Randy)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(Kiltigan Co Wicklow)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

^^^^^^ And it requires that the radio in the dog box has VOX capability. Most radios have a port for an external VOX mic/headset.

Might not want to put the radio in the dog box, as dogs tend to view them as chew toys.
    Last edited by copterdoc; 05-09-2015 at 06:27 PM.
    Considering the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity". -Unknown

This may sound dumb... but, would something like this help me hear her squeaks from a distance, let me tell her "QUIET" and, maybe hit the e-collar button?

Is this a totally ridiculous notion?

http://www.amazon.com/VTech-DM221-So...s=baby+monitor

No, try the Midland GTX1000
    Probably $70 a pair.
    VOX explained
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dNUWoUFc3E
    Last edited by Breck; 05-09-2015 at 06:55 PM.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Randy)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(Kiltigan Co Wicklow)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Quote Originally Posted by 1tulip View Post
    ..........let me tell her "QUIET" and............
    I haven't personally found that dogs understand commands given via speaker, as anything even closely resembling a known command spoken directly.

But I haven't tried it over high dollar, super-duper hi-fi equipment either.
    I don't imagine that it would make much of a difference though.

When they "listen" to us, they are picking up on something other than our spoken language. And whatever that "something" is, it doesn't transmit via radio waves.
    Last edited by copterdoc; 05-09-2015 at 07:08 PM.
    Considering the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity". -Unknown

You can condition your dog to HT sounds. Buy Gunzup CD, put near tailgate and play. You stand close and correct when necessary. You can also blow a duck call, shoot a blank pistol and put one radio on dog box and speak into the other.

When I am setting up in the field I routinely do this. If you can't hear the sqeaks have someone nearby that has good hearing raise their hand (sign) and then you make the corrections.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

That VOX thinger sounds like it could work. Just don't know how to get Rocket Dog to wear the headset.

Granted the dog may not recognize the voice over the speaker, ("QUIET!"), but could she nevertheless recognize that squeaking is a bad thing resulting in unpleasant consequences (a nick on her e-collar)? I recognize that such a "correction" is not up close and personal and from her perspective drops from the sky, so to speak. She could not, then, associate it with me and what I expect from her. But would it be of value?

Although most of my problem is in the field when there are ducks around (along with the obvious opportunity to run and retrieve same) and although it is very difficult to simulate anything like that and administer a correction around the house or in other venues, maybe I can get her to squeak when the other dogs are released in the AM and she must wait in her crate. Especially when the husband is the one granting everyone their freedom first thing in the morning.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by 1tulip; 05-09-2015 at 10:01 PM.