Neck Sores after wearing Tritronics G3 Sports Combo First Weekend of Duck Season
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neck Sores after wearing Tritronics G3 Sports Combo First Weekend of Duck Season

Default Neck Sores after wearing Tritronics G3 Sports Combo First Weekend of Duck Season

I have a 13 month old YLM that developed sores where the collar rests. They are slightly open sores that started to crust over. Just noticed them last night and put salve on last night and this morning. In applying the salve noticed they were either bleeding or pussing since I could see the fur turn slight red as I was applying.

One issue may have been that we camped out in the boat the night before opener and I should have removed it at night, so he basically had it on for quite a while---my fault.

Anyone else run into this issue? Should I leave the collar off until it heals, move it to a different part of the neck? I did notice that the sores were lower on the neck so I will also look to make sure the collar is closer to the base of the skull next time.

Anything else I should consider? I really dont want to go without a collar, but wont be hunting next until next Sunday so maybe that will be enough time to heal.

Thanks

Murph

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Given your description it appears the collar was not on tight enough and slipped down the neck and rubbed the dog raw. This issue was compounded by the collar being left on much longer than it should. Attempt to keep the wound clean and rotate sides of the neck with the collar.
    3xGMPR HRCH UH Blackjack's Gen. Stonewall Jackson MH - at stud

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...MH-Yellow-Male

Originally Posted by FOM "you're welcome....unicorns, skittles and rainbow farts...."

Thanks Peter. I actually checked it after we were done and seemed to be tighter than I have had it before, but are you thinking that I may have installed it high, but loose and since the neck tapers it slid down and became tighter at its lower position? I will definitely move to a different position and monitor it throughout the day/ hunt.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Balzer View Post
    Given your description it appears the collar was not on tight enough and slipped down the neck and rubbed the dog raw. This issue was compounded by the collar being left on much longer than it should. Attempt to keep the wound clean and rotate sides of the neck with the collar.

Agree with this. Let it heal. Don't put the leads back over the wounds.

That's my assumption is that it should be high on the neck and only tight enough to fit 2 fingers underneath it, not three. This ensures it won't slid down the neck and that the contacts are well seated against the skin in the event a correction is given, its felt immediately and so that it doesn't rotate or rub sores. Best practice is to remove collar immediately after hunt (I prefer the dog not to be kenneled with it on).
    3xGMPR HRCH UH Blackjack's Gen. Stonewall Jackson MH - at stud

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...MH-Yellow-Male

Originally Posted by FOM "you're welcome....unicorns, skittles and rainbow farts...."

I had a dog that this happened to. We think it was an allergic reaction to nickel.

That's my assumption is that it should be high on the neck and only tight enough to fit 2 fingers underneath it, not three. This ensures it won't slid down the neck and that the contacts are well seated against the skin in the event a correction is given, its felt immediately and so that it doesn't rotate or rub sores. Best practice is to remove collar immediately after hunt (I prefer the dog not to be kenneled with it on).
    The length of time a collar is on a dog plays a big factor. Our previous dog would start becoming raw towards the end of three day weekends of hunting pheasants hard. The collar would come off at night, and learned to adjust where it sat several times a day.
    Terry Britton, P.E.

Engineers believe that if it isn't broken, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Britton's Red Echo Lightning Storm JH WC
    RIP HR Britton's Gold Ginger Spice JH 02/18/2002 to 11/07/2014

Best practice is to remove collar immediately after hunt (I prefer the dog not to be kenneled with it on).
    Great point since I dont usually remove it until we get home. From now on I will remove as soon I truck crate him.

Thanks Terry, I will also do this, monitor and move position throughout the day/ hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Bertram View Post
    I had a dog that this happened to. We think it was an allergic reaction to nickel.
    I have also read this Kyle. I dont know if this is an issue, but was there a work around or non-nickel contacts you went with.

Thanks