The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Cooling-back by demand

Upon Request, I am re-stickying Dr. Nate's Cooling thread. For the North American Retriever folks, the heat season is again upon us.

For those seeking permission to repost Nate's article in other newsletters and things, please contact him directly via pM.

Thanks, Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

I always carry a small first aid kit in the car for my dog and myself. The articles include things to include treating for snake bites, bee stings, shock, and other medical emergencies. I take annual Red Cross Certifications to make sure I am up to date on the latest techniques to save your dogs and human life. Many times I have been stuck in a ditch or out in the cold while on computer service calls working for HP or myself. I never take any chances. There is a simple book available on Amazon.com that was recommended in a Yankee Golden Retriever Class I took last year.

http://www.amazon.com/Dog-First-Aid-...irst+aid+books

Well I think I just bought the book on my own after getting my CNA a couple of years back. You learn quite a bit working in nursing homes. The site of blood doesn't scare some of us but if your dog is in distress I recommend carry some cold ice in a cooler. Reminds me to get ready for the test this weekend.

Of course I am over the hill and fat so my heat level is less than that of a 20 year old. Well I can take the heat if I have water. I have had heat stroke and frost bite so I know the signs. Even had CPR performed on me at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by featherqwest View Post
    I always carry a small first aid kit in the car for my dog and myself. The articles include things to include treating for snake bites, bee stings, shock, and other medical emergencies. I take annual Red Cross Certifications to make sure I am up to date on the latest techniques to save your dogs and human life. Many times I have been stuck in a ditch or out in the cold while on computer service calls working for HP or myself. I never take any chances. There is a simple book available on Amazon.com that was recommended in a Yankee Golden Retriever Class I took last year.

http://www.amazon.com/Dog-First-Aid-...irst+aid+books

Well I think I just bought the book on my own after getting my CNA a couple of years back. You learn quite a bit working in nursing homes. The site of blood doesn't scare some of us but if your dog is in distress I recommend carry some cold ice in a cooler. Reminds me to get ready for the test this weekend.

Of course I am over the hill and fat so my heat level is less than that of a 20 year old. Well I can take the heat if I have water. I have had heat stroke and frost bite so I know the signs. Even had CPR performed on me at one time.
    Great advise Featherquest, reminds me that I need to update my first aid kit and buy that book. Also thanks to Chris for making the sticky.