The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooling-back by demand

Excellent article! I appreciate it very much.

However, I don't know where to find a simple glass thermometer. I'm an RN and we haven't had them in a hospital for decades and decades, and I haven't seen one in the drug store to buy. I think it has to do with the mercury, which is now considered so toxic by the feds.

Is there a source for glass thermometers?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 1tulip View Post
    Excellent article! I appreciate it very much.

However, I don't know where to find a simple glass thermometer. I'm an RN and we haven't had them in a hospital for decades and decades, and I haven't seen one in the drug store to buy. I think it has to do with the mercury, which is now considered so toxic by the feds.

Is there a source for glass thermometers?

Thanks.
    I searched for a glass thermometer a few months ago as I needed one to take Diesel's daily temp (watching for post-surgical aspiration pneumonia). I ended up with a digital thermometer and find that it works well too.
    Jeff Telander
    Durham, NC

FC AFC CT Broad Reach Devil Made Me Doit CD "Sinner"
    Broad Reach Smarty Pants

Forever in my heart
    OTCh Broad Reach Diesel TD MH UDX2***
    CH Broad Reach Gripper UD MH
    OTCh R Labs Darth Wader TD JH
    OTCh Teracroft Topaz TD JH

I have just returned from running errands where found glass thermometers. They have some other substance in them. I can't speak to their accuracy, though.

Thanks Nate for the article and thanks to you Chris for tackin' it up there on top.

That is great and very useful information, especially as we are approaching the heat of summer.(even though it just snowed here again) Thank you for the post.It is things like this that make this such a valuable website.
    "if it flies it dies, then it fries"

CPR Duffys FIre Eyed Jade
    CPR GMPR Duffys Jazzed Up Rippin Ruby QAA
    up and coming: Duffys Jazzy Jaded Emeralds got a Chance JH

Thank you for this post! I printed it off and I am putting it in my training bag. I will now be studying my labs.
    "Brothers, I do not consider myself to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do:Forgetting what is behind and reaching forward to what is ahead, I pursue as my goal the prize promised by Godís heavenly call in Christ Jesus."
    Philippians 3:13-14

HRCH Doubleplay's Bright Morning Star, SH
    HRCH Cremelevel's A Maze of Grace, MH, 2 QAA
    My ROCK's Hallelujah to the LORD, QAA
    My ROCK's Third Day Risen, National Derby List

Here is something helpful to have in your truck when out training/trialing. An ice chest with some ice and a lot of water and several washcloths. Just keep dipping the washcloths into the cold water, wring them out and place one on the top of the head, one under each arm and in the groin area. The washcloths warm up petty quickly so just keep repeating the process. I used this trick at an outside obedience trial. It kept my dog cool waiting for his turn to go into the ring. Worked like a charm. The other dogs were hot and did not perfrom nearly as well as they should have. They expended all of their energy just trying to keep themselves cool - not much left when they went into the ring.

This is more of a preventative - not for after the fact.
    Darlene
    Goldust Labs

Thank-you for posting this.

It has been 13 yrs since I've had a puppy. At 7 months, she is ready to go most of the time, but lately, she has been very subdued, especially in the morning. I had considered the heat, but did not recall it being an issue with my other labs.

Thanks to those who posted links for cooling items, a must in the temps and humidity of FL.

Paula

Banned

Exclamation

A Recent Article :

Thanks to Shawn K. Wayment, DVM for his excellent and timely article on heat stroke.

http://www.strideaway.com/strideaway/index.php

Here is another hot weather warning from my daughter, Stacy, to members of the Alamo Retriever Club.

I have a warning to share with other club members about the dangers of summer heat. Tuesday evening I took several dogs to the park for exercise/training. I worked Chiquita from 7:00-7:20 under the big shade trees. We did a little walking fetch and about 5 SHORT teaching doubles, and then some heeling work. It was a very light training session. I put her back in the truck with plenty of water and the truck was parked under the shade trees.

We got home a little after 8 and she unloaded fine - alert and active. I put her in the yard and went inside to prep food dishes (about 5-7 min.). When I walked out to feed, she was having a seizure. It took almost a minute for her to respond to her name. She was able to belly crawl to the adjoining yard.

Her temperature was 106.7. As I called my vets emergency number, I ran the water hose on her continuously and was able to get her temp. down to 105.3. By the time I got her to the vet at about 8:45 her temp had gone down to 103, but I left her overnight for IV fluids. It's no surprise that they diagnosed heat stroke.

She is fine now and will go back in two weeks to check her organ function. This whole thing came as a shock to me because the weather and training conditions really should not have caused such a severe reaction. Please be careful and watch your dogs closely anytime you train.

Have a great summer!
    Stacy Archer-Baker