The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooling-back by demand

Quote Originally Posted by John Daniels View Post
    At what temp do you need to stop and let the dog cool down?
    When in doubt, take a break.

This doesn't mean you can't train when it's hot, but you've got to be real, real careful anytime it gets over 85*...especially if it's rather humid.
    Stray labs make great pets.
    Proud member of the FF society.

John, these are the guidelines I use. These are core/rectal temperatures

Normal resting temperature of most dogs 100-102 1/2.

Temperature where hyperthermia (heat stoke) begins to take place 106-106 1/2

Temperature where most organ failure begins to occur 109.

I am far from an expert, these are guidelines that I have experience with or learned of. I am sure someone else will have a scientific answer.
    Last edited by Jim Harvey; 07-07-2010 at 04:57 AM.
    Jim Harvey

thanks for sharing. it clarifies many "untruths" i believed in.

DD

bump...

good to read this time of year
    “Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.” ~ Ronald Reagan

bump.. to up

This thread makes me scared to train. Its mid and high 90's everyday here and the pup works in it daily, sometimes in the very heat of the day. No marking in the heat of the day though, and no running, drillwork in the yard only and a 15 min max. I've noted a bit of him laying down lately waiting on me to set up bumpers and what not, which is not normal for him. Makes me feel irresponsible for training in this heat when I hear about other peoples dogs having problems and ending up in trouble.

One thing I do is keep multiple 2 liter bottles and milk jugs frozed every night and when I actually load the dogs to go train, marks or whatever, they each get a frozen jug in the box. As it melts, they have cold water. I also keep a 2 gal gas tank full of ice water at all times when I'm on the truck. Seems to be a good idea to me anyway.

Yesterday it was 94 degrees here in Iowa. When I got home from work at 5:00, first thing was to check on my 15yr old blk lab male. He was hot( panting hard), but he came out of his kennel normal and milled around the yard as I got fresh water and petted him. He seemed o.k., but one hour later I noticed him laying outside his kennel, which isn't normal for him. I got out there to find him down, breathing hard and not responsive. I started to run cool water over him, while wife called the vet. Got him there and his temp was 107! We were able to get it back down slowly , he was responsive an hour later, and he stayed the night. I will find out this morning if he made it out of the woods. I'm really kicking myself for not bringing him in the house when I got home. He has never had a problem with heat like that.
    After I thought about it, it is probably just like the elderly. He is going to be 16 this fall! I forget he's not my little young lab anymore. I pray he's o.k.

I can't imagine leaving an old dog outside in that kind of heat.
    Jeff Telander
    Durham, NC

FC AFC CT Broad Reach Devil Made Me Doit "Sinner"

Forever in my heart
    OTCh Broad Reach Diesel TD MH UDX2***
    CH Broad Reach Gripper UD MH
    OTCh R Labs Darth Wader TD JH
    OTCh Teracroft Topaz TD JH

I have a soaker hose over my kennel and if it's over 92/93 it gets turned on during the day. If I don't turn it on they will drink half of their bucket of water in a day. On days it gets turned on they will drink about 2 inches out of it. I have sat and watched them get up out of the shade and walk around in circles under it then go lay back down several times a day.

Quote Originally Posted by BTG View Post
    Yesterday it was 94 degrees here in Iowa. When I got home from work at 5:00, first thing was to check on my 15yr old blk lab male. He was hot( panting hard), but he came out of his kennel normal and milled around the yard as I got fresh water and petted him. He seemed o.k., but one hour later I noticed him laying outside his kennel, which isn't normal for him. I got out there to find him down, breathing hard and not responsive. I started to run cool water over him, while wife called the vet. Got him there and his temp was 107! We were able to get it back down slowly , he was responsive an hour later, and he stayed the night. I will find out this morning if he made it out of the woods. I'm really kicking myself for not bringing him in the house when I got home. He has never had a problem with heat like that.
    After I thought about it, it is probably just like the elderly. He is going to be 16 this fall! I forget he's not my little young lab anymore. I pray he's o.k.
    I too hope he's OK. I had a scare last summer. Let us know how things turn out.

On a similar note, there was a news story about a police dog

Overton County Police Dog Dies From Heat
    http://www.wsmv.com/news/24261389/detail.html

Gotta be careful.
    Stray labs make great pets.
    Proud member of the FF society.