The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Cooling-back by demand

Bigger, wider, really seems to engorge.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

A simple trick for moderate overheating that I have used for years.
    Mix rubbing alcohol with water in a spray bottle, and mist the dog down. It evaporates much faster than just water. Get the belly, leg pits and feet (where ever their coat is thin).
    Catch the problem BEFORE it becomes a BIG problem, and this will probably be all that is needed.

Also, most of the dogs that I have seen get into trouble were dogs that the owners put into a dog box wet on a hot/humid day. This will turn a dog box into a sauna in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by tom; 09-22-2010 at 09:56 AM.
    "there is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance --- that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
    Herbert Spencer

Quote Originally Posted by jeff t. View Post
    Also, the whites of the eye become more and more reddened as they heat up. I've found that to be easier to see and interpret than observing the tongue. When I begin to see redness, it is time to cool down.
    What is the best way to condition a slim dog that is in good health to warmer weather? Or is there a good way?

Here in Oklahoma, we often get weather in the 90's with relatively high humidity. All my dogs are slim and trim and in excellent physical condition but they are dogs with the same physical limits as all other dogs.

great articles...thanks for sharing

Nate,

Do you find it true that dogs having once overheated are more susceptible to overheating?

Quote Originally Posted by plnolan View Post
    Nate,

Do you find it true that dogs having once overheated are more susceptible to overheating?
    I have no idea about any scientific study, but I would say that once your dog overheats you are more likely to pay attention to the symptoms (I know I sure do).
    Stray labs make great pets.
    Proud member of the FF society.

I'll also add that behavior isn't necessarily an indication of stress with these guys. We've bred that GO into them, and I know for example that my young choc male lab won't stop of his own accord. it's my job to watch temp, he would keep going if allowed, well into the danger zone.

I also use reg. drugstore thermo. I use one on myself and loved ones, and have a *seperate* one for the canine family members.

Also, i didn't see this mentioned, in case anyone doesn't know: normal temp for your pup is 100.5 - 102.5- you're ok up until about 103.5, at which point you really need to get that dog's temp down.
    Lauren Burke
    ---------------------------------------
    "Sometimes you eats the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you." Daniel Boone, Davie Crockett, or a stranger at the bar?

This almost makes me too nervous to train, being new, I'm worried I wouldn't notice the over heating signs as well as others would. How do most people train during the summer? Early mornings and evenings?
    BOOMER SOONER!

great article. I'm pretty concerned about this with our hot and humid texas summers... our first dove season is approaching and I've been worried about keeping my pup cool.

Great info