The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: helping save a boykin

Default helping save a boykin

A friend of a friend has a 4 month old boykin (sp?) spaniel. Great little dog from good lines. I've seen him and would love to have one like him. The owner just got an e-collar and says that when he gives a "correction" at level 1, the dog goes bananas like it doesn't know what's going on. (which I'm sure is true) The information that I passed on is that the dog is just a puppy and they should just be having fun now. No collar! We're talking a novice here, so I know the pup can't really be "trained" at much of anything yet other than "house trained", a little bit of "sit", general socialization and some fun retrieving. I don't have the experience that many of you have, but I sincerely believe that I'm on the right track. PLEASE! some of you add your "yeas" and "nays" so I can pass them along to get him on the right track. If I'm off base, I can accept that too.
    Thanks!

no that pup should not have a ecollar on.

tell your friend to put that e collar on the other guys nuts a light him up.

Is the Boykin looking for a new home? He is after all the SC state Dog! Let me know if I can take him off your hands before he gets too messed up!

put the collar on your friend, turn it up, and burn. See if he squirms like he doesn't know what's going on.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

Not to snipe the thread, but I have thought about a Boykin. Have you guys ever trained one. Are the better at upland or waterfowl?

As far as the thread goes, the guy should be educated, since he may simply be stupid. Then if that doesn't take, he should be kicked in the junk.

tt
    mrgd

DISCLAIMER
    "You may not think I'm funny but I do, please don't take anything I say seriously because it's probably not."

What book has he been reading? Maybe you can offer him a good one! They are awsome dogs, that's sad. He's going to screw him up. All the work he should be doing now is on lead work and make it fun!!! I'm not sure but if they have desire you don't want to take it away~ Sometimes people who don't want to listen learn the hard waya nd it's sad the animals have to suffer. Maybe you can find a seminar and have him tag along???
    Just some ideas~Good luck! Sometimes you have to be a hard @$$ And come out and tell him like it is, too.

You do teach a four-month old, but it is different than when they are mature. It is not "work" yet. Almost all the training is positive reinforcement. You don't make the demands. E-collars are for down the road, when you are making demands.

E-Collars are great training tools in the right hands, and can be terrible instruments of torture in the wrong. And there is very little grey -- you either now what you are doing or you don't. This is ESPECIALLY true if he is a novice. Tell him to put the collar away until he knows EXACTLY how to use it.

Your friend needs to be on a training program. There are a lot of good books out there. If he is a complete novice with no serious aspirations, I recommend James B. Spencer's Training Retrievers For Marshes And Meadows.

All it takes is about twenty-minutes a day. The only secret is making the commitment and sticking with it.
    Kevin Walker

Drive is the manifestation of Desire, and measured in Style.
    Thank you judges who score Style, you are preserving Desire!

Default spaniel

over 100 views, and only 5 responses. Thanks to those who have helped me load my gun. I was hoping for a little more backup. This is not for me, but for a cute little pup. Any more help would be appreciated, because this is going to get printed out and passed on to the owner. I did notice though that no one has supported his actions. Thanks for some more ammunition.

How about this Larry, shocking a four month old pup is about like me spanking my four month old child. He wouldn't get it and it would only hurt him and not teach him anything. It's simply stupid behavior and a quick way to ruin a dog. The dog can't have learned enough behavior to have it reinforced. Its just rediculous.

You don't spank an infant, and you don't shock a four month old pup.

tt
    mrgd

DISCLAIMER
    "You may not think I'm funny but I do, please don't take anything I say seriously because it's probably not."

For what reason is he giving this correction is the "million dollar" question here....
    Quote: "the hardest decisions are what make us strong"...suprdogs

LeAnne Nord - Waterstrike Retrievers
    LEARN *If you breed, rescue. If you dont breed, rescue anyway. If your not part of the solution, you are then part of the problem.*