The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Tough dogs

Default Tough dogs

Tough to train, physically exhausting, why did I get into this, kind of dogs. You know the ones I mean, a million dollars worth of ability and a bucks worth of brains. Was it worth the effort? I'm not a novice, I have trained some nice dogs, have some nice dogs, just find myself thinking (more and more) I might be better off giving this dog to another trainer that can look at him with fresh eyes. He is my dog so that weighs in the equation but I'm just thinking out loud. Thoughts always appreciated.

Mac
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

Maybe it would be worth going to a pro or experienced friend just to have the dog/training evaluated. This could be done over a day or so. I am suggesting this before sending the dog "off" for training. You maybe on the right track though, because a fresh wind often fans the fire, so to speak.

tt
    mrgd

DISCLAIMER
    "You may not think I'm funny but I do, please don't take anything I say seriously because it's probably not."

OK, Mac.... what, exactly, is this dog doing to make you tear your hair out?

Quote Originally Posted by hhlabradors
    OK, Mac.... what, exactly, is this dog doing to make you tear your hair out?
    I don't think it's any one thing Eleanor. It's just a question of him being inconsistant. He's still young and I think will come on a little later than most but one day he'll be so good that you think he's the best you ever saw and the next day he can be the worst. Maybe not so odd but I find that my frustration level gets to the point that I just have to put him up and walk away. Complaining about it is like therapy I guess
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.