The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Classic Quotes from Judges during the scenario...

At a Master test, terrible weather rainy cold with wind in your face, big open water blind then climb out and fade right to pick up the bird, and if your dog went left it was out of sight- most people were either stopping their dogs as they came out of the water or ended up losing them. I sent my dog and waited out the swim, watched her climb out of the water and run straight. I knew I had locked her on good to the line I wanted her to take and was confident she would fade right. The judges, however, were not so sure. Judge 1- "You know it's okay to blow the whistle". A second of silence then Judge 2- "You wont be dropped for blowing a whistle". More silence, then I hear a judge hiss "Blow the whistle!". I did not blow it and my dog did fade right and ended up one-whistling the blind. The judges were all smiles as I left the line.

The best advice I have received to date from a very experienced co-judge: "Look around at where you are going to set up, take not of your surroundings and make sure there are no tall trees around". I thought about this for quite a while, considering possible hazards to dogs, ability to see the area of every fall, and where I might like to place marks. He let it soak in for a bit as my mind wondered and then told me "You don't want to judge near anything they could hang you from".

2nd Junior HT. While my pup is an excellent marker, her line manners are atrocious. Hard as we work, she is on fire at the line, and has a really hard time settling down. We had passed the land tests, and as i was being dragged to the line on the first water mark, the judges who were familiar with my pup exclaimed to the gallery; "who ever gets wet first, has to get the duck!". It was priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by Granddaddy View Post
    In an amateur stake, I rec'd a placement (& I'm appreciative for any placement I receive). After folks disbursed somewhat, one of the judge came up to me without any inquiry from me and said, " you probably thought you should have won since your dog was the only one to have no hunts but the line your dog took to the long bird did not indicate a positive mark". I guess my mouth dropped a little. I asked what was wrong with the line. The judge said, "now I don't judge lines but I don't think a dog should bow away from the AOF of the short mark that my dog had already retrieved (this was a near over/under where the under was a flyer wiping out the long bird) when going for the long mark, it just doesn't demonstrate good training". So I couldn't help myself, I said so you don't judge lines but it kept me from winning, & apparently you don't judge hunts on marks either since as you said my dog didn't hunt.

I felt much better about my placement prior to that conversation......

Holy moly...
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

I was running water in a NAHRA Intermediate test with one judge known to be a horses a$$ from time to time. Heather landed and turned to come to heel. As I reached down for the bird, she took several slow steps backward ... step, step, step ... right between the spread knees of this judge. Then she shook off the water the cold and really dank water. I was somewhat new and didn't know what to do except apologize. Out of the gallery came a voice, later ID'd as his wife's, "That's OK. I wish I'd thought of that myself."
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

At a Junior Hunt using live flyers, the gun before me did no kill the duck. It flopped all the way back to he line. The judges hung it in the rack, I did not notice as I approached the line that he had not 'dispatched' the duck prior to hanging it. Just at the test started and the mark was thrown, that duck started flopping and making a racket in the rack. Of course my girl looked back to see what was going on. Yep, she missed the mark. I asked for a 're-do' and the judge said "no" run your dog. She was not trained on handling but I sent her anyway (my mistake) I should have left he line and protest the test! She of course had know idea where the mark was. She did not find the bird, and I then tried to protest, to no avail.....it is these little oddities that newbies need to learn better....by the way this dog passed all future tests for her JH....

One I best remember at a MH test. Walk up water blind, dry shot goes off as you are walking up with your dog and your gun. Test dog handler goes up and when he arrives at line turns to hand the gun off so he can run the blind. Judge tells him he must keep the gun thru the blind. When told that this was against the rules, the judge states "this is my test and you will run it the way I say it will be run". This individual does not judge anymore by popular demand.

At a JH test judge tells handlers that they can not speak to their dogs after the bird is down and their number is given. One handler asks "then how do we send our dogs?" Judge states you can give them a command to retrieve but can't say anything else. Another judge not asked back anymore.

SH test. No sight blind. Dog and handler on one side of low dike. Line to blind is angle up and over the blind and then down into the water. Judges instructions are you can't move up until your dog is in the water. Handler asks "how do we know when they are in the water if we don't move up to top of the hill?" Judge tells them to listen for a splash. You can probably guess how well that went.

Dawn
    mostlygold
    Terrill's Mr Butch CDX TT; Terrill's Adalay CD TD; Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HR WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

I once asked a judge " so your throwing an out of order inline at a seasoned test " to which he responded " no you can pick them up in any order "
    Tim Doane , Kingseed Kennels
    GRHRCH UH Hunters Marsh King Elijah MNH QAA "Ely"
    GRHRCH Kingseeds Little Miss Dangerous MNH QAA " Stella "
    HRCH Kingseeds Queen Of Grace MH " Hannah "
    Kingseeds She's A Classic " Layla "
    www.kingseedkennels.com

I was in the holding blind waiting my turn to run the land blind at a Q and the poor guy in front of me was having a terrible time of it. The judges asked that he call him in.After the yelling started his dog ran around long enough to find the bird. On the way out the judge looked at the guy (they were friends) and said " next time just send him on hunt em up"
    Tim Doane , Kingseed Kennels
    GRHRCH UH Hunters Marsh King Elijah MNH QAA "Ely"
    GRHRCH Kingseeds Little Miss Dangerous MNH QAA " Stella "
    HRCH Kingseeds Queen Of Grace MH " Hannah "
    Kingseeds She's A Classic " Layla "
    www.kingseedkennels.com

"SH test. No sight blind. Dog and handler on one side of low dike. Line to blind is angle up and over the blind and then down into the water. Judges instructions are you can't move up until your dog is in the water. Handler asks "how do we know when they are in the water if we don't move up to top of the hill?" Judge tells them to listen for a splash. You can probably guess how well that went."

I remember that one, Dawn! Glad he isn't around any more. Totally ridiculous test for a hunting dog.......-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.