The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Classic Quotes from Judges during the scenario...

I met the great Roy Mcfall years ago as we were waiting for placements in an AA stake. When they called his dogs name for 2nd place he spit....on my boot and said "I guess you won". Sure enough Libby won. Several months later I saw Roy at another trial. He ran up to me and said (I guess we were friends now)"Bill you'll never guess what the judge said to me last week when I asked why I wasn't called back. The judge pulled out my sheet took his pencil and scribbled all over the page telling me my dog put up a big hunt. What do you think of that". I smiled and said good as I walked away.

Bill
    Sarita McKnight
    MOONSTONE LABRADORS llc
    Bigfork MT 59911
    www.moonstonelabs.com
    AFC BAMS Liberty Belle MH
    FC-AFC-CNAFC-CFC-CAFC MOONSTONES Hug and Moochie
    FC-AFC MOONSTONES Sea Biscuit Run
    AFC MOONSTONES Ham-Maid Marian
    (406) 249-4140 or (406) 257-7311
    Avatar is AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH ~ 31 MAR 1995-7 OCT 2010
    Photo taken on her 15th birthday...

Quote Originally Posted by moonstonelabs View Post
    I met the great Roy Mcfall years ago as we were waiting for placements in an AA stake. When they called his dogs name for 2nd place he spit....on my boot and said "I guess you won". Sure enough Libby won. Several months later I saw Roy at another trial. He ran up to me and said (I guess we were friends now)"Bill you'll never guess what the judge said to me last week when I asked why I wasn't called back. The judge pulled out my sheet took his pencil and scribbled all over the page telling me my dog put up a big hunt. What do you think of that". I smiled and said good as I walked away.

Bill
    Bill, you have told variations of that same story here at least twice... I call BS on the spitting on your boot part at a minimum.
    Bill Davis

Years ago, running a young Lab at her first HRC Started test. The first water mark is pretty close to, if not a bit over, the max limit for distance, but falls into the far edge of a nice, open pond, about fifteen feet from the bank. The dog was locked on the mark, and when I sent her, she took a nice line....until the last few yards, when for some reason unknown to anybody but her, she decided to veer to the right and got out of the water. She started hunting the bank hard...back and forth...never looking to the water. I figured my best option was to time a "here" whistle as she crossed the line between me and the bird so she'd look that way. It took three passes and three whistles, the last of which was rather emotional and as loud as I could make it. She finally looked up, saw the bird, jumped in and grabbed it. The judges, bless 'em both, were laughing, and one said "If you'd like to wade out there and get it, we're pretty sure the pea from your whistle blew out on that last whistle and landed in the pond."
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

A contestant was running the land blind in a Qualifying stake. Blind was placed at the crest oof a distant rise. The guy gambled at the end, thinking his dog would wind the bird, so he "saved" a whistle. Dog disappeared over the rise and didn't reappear. After what seemed like 5 minutes, he turns to the judges in all seriousness and asks "If I yell HERE, I'm out, right?" To which the judge responds "Oh, you were out a long time ago!"

"NOOOO HERE!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wegner View Post
    A contestant was running the land blind in a Qualifying stake. Blind was placed at the crest oof a distant rise. The guy gambled at the end, thinking his dog would wind the bird, so he "saved" a whistle. Dog disappeared over the rise and didn't reappear. After what seemed like 5 minutes, he turns to the judges in all seriousness and asks "If I yell HERE, I'm out, right?" To which the judge responds "Oh, you were out a long time ago!"

"NOOOO HERE!!!!"
    As if by lining the blind with no whistle versus one whistle at the bird was going to be the difference in the trial. I never got that mentality.

A few years ago at a qual. And us being green. My dog 1 whistled a water blind that was not far off shore. I was feeling rather proud he even got there and then the bubble burst.
    The judge " you did realize that was a water blind didnt you.

To make matters worse he turned to the gallery and said something like. It is a water blind we expect the dog to get in

True story
    Dk

Running a Derby many years ago in ID with the late Pete Lane (awesome judge) as on of the judges. We had manage to slide through the 1st 2 series in the days of single, single, Double, Double. Nice wide open double which my dog split the difference & never had a clue. I asked the judges to help him & Pete replies "if you can tell us which bird he thinks he's after we'll be glad to".

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

"Boy do you know what your biggest problem is?" Me- naw. "It's that curly haired dog of yours."

I had my first hunt test dog and was running for her JH title. Sadie nailed both land marks and was called beck for the water series. Went for the first bird in the water and as she was sent for the last bird the judge turns to me and says it would be hard to pass her as she had dropped the bird and then picked it up again to give it to me. I thought why did he even let her run the water marks if that was a disqualifier. Sure enough she nailed the last retrieve, but dropped the bird and shook off the water, then picked the bird up again and gave it to me. Judge said fail, without thinking, I said,"That is OK, I don't want a cheap title anyway.
    Came home and worked on the problem and got her title at Atlanta Retriever Club the next test entered. Learned a lot with that first lab.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieC View Post
    the judge turns to me and says it would be hard to pass her as she had dropped the bird and then picked it up again to give it to me. I thought why did he even let her run the water marks if that was a disqualifier. Judge said fail, without thinking, I said,"That is OK, I don't want a cheap title anyway.
    Is that in the AKC HT rule book? It certainly wouldn't fail you in the CKC at any test level, including Masters unless your dog was setting the bird down to chew on it. However, your parting comment could be construed by some as un-sportsmanlike conduct and that could get you dropped from the test, although your dog could continue and perhaps even qualify with another handler.
    power without lumber, raciness without weediness

A big man never looks down on others.... instead, he is someone to look up to.