RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Classic Quotes from Judges during the scenario...

25K views 98 replies 71 participants last post by  Frank G 
#1 ·
So, every HT I go to I hear something new and memorable during the scenario. Here's a couple of new ones from this year so far...

Senior Judge - You cannot use the word "no." If you use the word no, you will be dropped for training and intimidation. We all know that the word "no" is equal to pushing the button on the transmitter and that is just not allowed.
Master Judge - If you shuffle backwards one more time your out. Your a FT'er and I know how FT'ers train. That shuffling is intimidation and you cannot do that.
Senior Judge - Yes your marks and land blind were excellent but your dog didn't take enough water on the shoreline blind. I know he was online, but you should have put him out in the water further.
Master Judge (Mine from this past weekend) - Ah hell, Cantrell is here, there goes the neighborhood...
/Paul

#80 ·
"SH test. No sight blind. Dog and handler on one side of low dike. Line to blind is angle up and over the blind and then down into the water. Judges instructions are you can't move up until your dog is in the water. Handler asks "how do we know when they are in the water if we don't move up to top of the hill?" Judge tells them to listen for a splash. You can probably guess how well that went."

I remember that one, Dawn! Glad he isn't around any more. Totally ridiculous test for a hunting dog.......-Paul

#81 ·
I met the great Roy Mcfall years ago as we were waiting for placements in an AA stake. When they called his dogs name for 2nd place he spit....on my boot and said "I guess you won". Sure enough Libby won. Several months later I saw Roy at another trial. He ran up to me and said (I guess we were friends now)"Bill you'll never guess what the judge said to me last week when I asked why I wasn't called back. The judge pulled out my sheet took his pencil and scribbled all over the page telling me my dog put up a big hunt. What do you think of that". I smiled and said good as I walked away.

Bill

#83 ·
Years ago, running a young Lab at her first HRC Started test. The first water mark is pretty close to, if not a bit over, the max limit for distance, but falls into the far edge of a nice, open pond, about fifteen feet from the bank. The dog was locked on the mark, and when I sent her, she took a nice line....until the last few yards, when for some reason unknown to anybody but her, she decided to veer to the right and got out of the water. She started hunting the bank hard...back and forth...never looking to the water. I figured my best option was to time a "here" whistle as she crossed the line between me and the bird so she'd look that way. It took three passes and three whistles, the last of which was rather emotional and as loud as I could make it. She finally looked up, saw the bird, jumped in and grabbed it. The judges, bless 'em both, were laughing, and one said "If you'd like to wade out there and get it, we're pretty sure the pea from your whistle blew out on that last whistle and landed in the pond."

#84 ·
A contestant was running the land blind in a Qualifying stake. Blind was placed at the crest oof a distant rise. The guy gambled at the end, thinking his dog would wind the bird, so he "saved" a whistle. Dog disappeared over the rise and didn't reappear. After what seemed like 5 minutes, he turns to the judges in all seriousness and asks "If I yell HERE, I'm out, right?" To which the judge responds "Oh, you were out a long time ago!"

"NOOOO HERE!!!!"

#85 ·
A contestant was running the land blind in a Qualifying stake. Blind was placed at the crest oof a distant rise. The guy gambled at the end, thinking his dog would wind the bird, so he "saved" a whistle. Dog disappeared over the rise and didn't reappear. After what seemed like 5 minutes, he turns to the judges in all seriousness and asks "If I yell HERE, I'm out, right?" To which the judge responds "Oh, you were out a long time ago!"

"NOOOO HERE!!!!"
As if by lining the blind with no whistle versus one whistle at the bird was going to be the difference in the trial. I never got that mentality.

#86 ·
A few years ago at a qual. And us being green. My dog 1 whistled a water blind that was not far off shore. I was feeling rather proud he even got there and then the bubble burst.
The judge " you did realize that was a water blind didnt you.

To make matters worse he turned to the gallery and said something like. It is a water blind we expect the dog to get in

True story
Dk

#87 ·
Running a Derby many years ago in ID with the late Pete Lane (awesome judge) as on of the judges. We had manage to slide through the 1st 2 series in the days of single, single, Double, Double. Nice wide open double which my dog split the difference & never had a clue. I asked the judges to help him & Pete replies "if you can tell us which bird he thinks he's after we'll be glad to".

#89 ·
I had my first hunt test dog and was running for her JH title. Sadie nailed both land marks and was called beck for the water series. Went for the first bird in the water and as she was sent for the last bird the judge turns to me and says it would be hard to pass her as she had dropped the bird and then picked it up again to give it to me. I thought why did he even let her run the water marks if that was a disqualifier. Sure enough she nailed the last retrieve, but dropped the bird and shook off the water, then picked the bird up again and gave it to me. Judge said fail, without thinking, I said,"That is OK, I don't want a cheap title anyway.
Came home and worked on the problem and got her title at Atlanta Retriever Club the next test entered. Learned a lot with that first lab.

#90 ·
the judge turns to me and says it would be hard to pass her as she had dropped the bird and then picked it up again to give it to me. I thought why did he even let her run the water marks if that was a disqualifier. Judge said fail, without thinking, I said,"That is OK, I don't want a cheap title anyway.
Is that in the AKC HT rule book? It certainly wouldn't fail you in the CKC at any test level, including Masters unless your dog was setting the bird down to chew on it. However, your parting comment could be construed by some as un-sportsmanlike conduct and that could get you dropped from the test, although your dog could continue and perhaps even qualify with another handler.

#92 ·
One of my favorite quotes was by a judge after the new AKC directive to "shoulder the gun" as the birds are thrown. "If you fail to shoulder the gun during the first series I am going to give you a gun warning". "If you fail to shoulder the gun in all three series, you will leave with 3 gun warnings".

#96 ·
"damn, he's taking the best line of the day so far.........oh, I shouldn't have said that and jinxed it".. Thanks Ted...

#99 ·
"damn, he's taking the best line of the day so far.........oh, I shouldn't have said that and jinxed it".. Thanks Ted...
Had the same thing happen in a derby recently. After running two good land series and doing a nice job on the go bird in the third (and final series), I sent her for the memory bird and heard, " that's the nicest line we've seen today on that bird" right before she hooked left, split the difference and ended up back in the old AOF! Kiss of death.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.