The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic Quotes from Judges during the scenario...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Carrion
    Best HT scenario by judge:
    First series of the Master a handler ask the judges for the scenario and got: "3 birds were in the air,they got shot and hit the ground, you need to pick-um up".
    I don't recall them asking for the 2nd series!

Tim
    That sounds like something I would say.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell.

AKC Senior Judge>>>
    "That's not good enough to pass "Master" so it won't work here."

"You can't tell your dog "Fetch" any verbal commands while running blinds will be scored as intimidation."

"Stop talking to your dog...that's not allowed (while running land blind)"
    Kenneth Farris

If my dog only knew what he could get..........
    HRCH South Wind Brody Jo MH

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345
    I agree Brad B; however these stories are far & away the exception not the rule. Most judges do a good job and I appreciate their contribution to the sport.
    Oh by far, I agree, most are good judges and I too appreciate their time. As any judge I've run under will tell you, I try and make it a point to thank them for giving up their weekend so we can play, no matter what the outcome was for my dog. I just hope I don't run across some of these quoted "less than informed" judges. !!

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

Brad is a very courteous handler.

I read these and just shake my head. I hear lots of these type stories....I sure hope I have never said anything like them. I have judged for a number of years and would like to turn this thread into a positive if I can get some help....

What have judges told you that was a good thing to hear....something that stuck....

...like I try to tell junior handlers that the most important thing they have to remember is to breath because they can't take a to hand delivery if they are passed out....

....dogs can't mark what they can't see....and I go to the trouble to makeing sure that my marks are visable from the dog's point of view - even though I am Old, you will often see me squatting or kneeling down to watch (and listen to) test marks.

...If you are enjoying this sport you should think about giving back by becoming a judge...We need more good judges. I hope that some of what I have done will serve as an example to those who take me up on it.

I have decided not to do as much judging as I have in the past, but when I read stuff like many of you have told about, I wonder if I have done enough to insure that this game is fun for all in the future.
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady

My memory is about as long as my hair !! So I'm sure there were many positive comments I've heard, just can't remember them.

Anytime I get a encouraging or positive word from a judge, I take it as a great compliment. Those judges are often times way more experience than I and have seen WAY more dogs run than I have, so to have them tell me "you have a good dog there, just keep working with him". Or as one judge did recently, they offered to buy my dog, which was turned into somewhat of a joke, but I know that it's a compliment.

A simple word of encouragement or training tip at the line or after the test can sometimes make a handler feel better than any ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Duck Hunter
    Brad is a very courteous handler.

I read these and just shake my head. I hear lots of these type stories....I sure hope I have never said anything like them. I have judged for a number of years and would like to turn this thread into a positive if I can get some help....

What have judges told you that was a good thing to hear....something that stuck....

...like I try to tell junior handlers that the most important thing they have to remember is to breath because they can't take a to hand delivery if they are passed out....

....dogs can't mark what they can't see....and I go to the trouble to makeing sure that my marks are visable from the dog's point of view - even though I am Old, you will often see me squatting or kneeling down to watch (and listen to) test marks.

...If you are enjoying this sport you should think about giving back by becoming a judge...We need more good judges. I hope that some of what I have done will serve as an example to those who take me up on it.

I have decided not to do as much judging as I have in the past, but when I read stuff like many of you have told about, I wonder if I have done enough to insure that this game is fun for all in the future.
    Vicki, you should know that you're one of my favorite judges. (And, I AM going to pass one under your old man one of these days!!!) This sport needs more like you. I recall you noting that sometimes when setting up a test, you'll turn your back to the marks to hear where the poppers sound like they're coming from. I've seen very few judges go to the trouble of repositioning their poppers.

I also recall you asking me once as I approached the line during one of my first Jr's "...Have you breathed lately?" and, "This is your time, so let us know when you're ready".

And, as I've told you before, I've always admired the way you'll treat an obvious first time Jr handler whose Fifi probably hasn't ever seen a duck and never picked the first mark. You'll have a bird boy or Marshall toss one for them, let them know that this sport can be fun, and that their dog CAN do the work! Running them off after 1 mark, no bird, $55.00 spent and a long disappoining ride home before 9:00 a.m. ain't going to help us all grow and enjoy this sport for long.

I'm thankful that some of you "Get it"!!!!

[quote="2-Dogs
    Running them off after 1 mark, no bird, $55.00 spent and a long disappoining ride home before 9:00 a.m. ain't going to help us all grow and enjoy this sport for long.

I'm thankful that some of you "Get it"!!!![/quote]

Amen !!!

Some of these judges's comments to handlers, are the very reason we need judges that know the rules. Add these judges to your "black list". They are on a "power trip" and are trying to show their power over the handlers. NOT what we need!
    <--- Dooey, MH
    MHR Duckmates Fly Guy MH 05/17/94 - 07/17/08 "Flyboy"
    Candlewood Court Magician JH 1/31/02 - 8/2/12 "Magic Man"

Richard

The best thing I've heard from a judge was after my dog picked up the two land birds at last week's JH test, when I handed him the second bird and he said "nice work". It's amazing how great that felt.

That felt a lot better than after the first mark on our first test, when I had to handle him to the bird (which he brought back), but we were dropped before getting a chance at the second mark. Fortunately that test was a double for Juniors and he got his first pass that Sunday, so we didn't have to wait weeks for another chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora
    ...I lost my piece of rope in the tall grass...
    and by the way, what's with Ken and rope?
    Ron
    www.portlandlabrador.com
    A Lab has no appreciation for the artistic value of a bonsai tree, but does appreciate their potential as chew toys.

Prior to the test dog running the live flyer water mark in a Junior test the judge is asked about the no bird area as there was an island near the gun station. Judge says if the bird lands on the other side of the island it will be a no bird. There are numerous no birds..my dog comes to the line and sure enough, bird lands on the other side of the island. Judge says "dog" so before I send her I turn to the judge to verify that Judge is telling me to send the dog even though the bird landed clearly in the previously specified no bird area. Judges words to me were "I'm sure she marked it"
    Yep, she did all right but by the time she tried to climb over the log in front of the island and got onto the island and got a nose full of the gun station, got off the island to go to the gun station, got back in the water and tried her darndest to find the bird. judge had me pick her up. Folks in the gallery were telling me I needed to put up a fuss and get a re-run, HT secretary apologized to me because her dog had done the same thing and had been allowed a re-run. I just chalked it up to I paid my 60 bucks for that judge's opinion and better luck next time. Just to save you the ink, I'll tell you that the 2nd judge was a protege of first judge and never in a million years would question the former's judgement
    Because of the comment of "I'm sure she marked it" I have not ran another AKC test. That particular judge really likes to judge so has been on almost every roster since that test. Thankfully I live close to the border so will let the Canadian clubs have my money for awhile.