RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

I must be a has been!

12K views 49 replies 28 participants last post by  mjh345 
#1 ·
I have taken a 3 yr break from trials to spend more time with my kids but I thought I would tell you about my past weekend. I was placed on the TN wildlife commission by the govenor in 2015 we meet 10 times a year, this past Thursday and Friday we had meetings in Nashville. TWRA gave all the commissioners passes to National Wild Turkey show going on at Opry Land Convention center. It was a great show with hundreds of vendors if you haven't been put this show on your list. Everything hunting you can think about outfitters from Africa, Alaska, New Zealand to deer and elk hunts all over the lower 48. Wingshooting to Alligator hunts they were all there. So as I'm walking down a aisle I see a large booth with 4 adult labs and a cage of puppies they are selling with videos of dogs hunting and such it catches my eye. I have my badge on with my name on it and I ask one of the guys a couple questions and I get they are located in Oxford MS and train gun dogs. He goes on to tell me that their line of dogs are the calm labs that also make great house dogs and family pets, etc. He says they are out of FT stock and I am curious to what the breedings are and he then has to refer me to another guy and I get a deer in the headlight look. I ask him if he knows about coolwater kennels and Alex since they are real close to Oxford and he said he hasn't heard of them. I told him I had ran a few trials and had been around labs for a long time and he still didn't have any idea but wanted to sale me one of those puppies! Needless to say I kept on walking but it goes to show you a little tv time and a marketing plan must work because his booth was full of interested people!

See less See more
#35 ·
I have taken a 3 yr break from trials to spend more time with my kids but I thought I would tell you about my past weekend. I was placed on the TN wildlife commission by the govenor in 2015 we meet 10 times a year, this past Thursday and Friday we had meetings in Nashville. TWRA gave all the commissioners passes to National Wild Turkey show going on at Opry Land Convention center. It was a great show with hundreds of vendors if you haven't been put this show on your list. Everything hunting you can think about outfitters from Africa, Alaska, New Zealand to deer and elk hunts all over the lower 48. Wingshooting to Alligator hunts they were all there. So as I'm walking down a aisle I see a large booth with 4 adult labs and a cage of puppies they are selling with videos of dogs hunting and such it catches my eye. I have my badge on with my name on it and I ask one of the guys a couple questions and I get they are located in Oxford MS and train gun dogs. He goes on to tell me that their line of dogs are the calm labs that also make great house dogs and family pets, etc. He says they are out of FT stock and I am curious to what the breedings are and he then has to refer me to another guy and I get a deer in the headlight look. I ask him if he knows about coolwater kennels and Alex since they are real close to Oxford and he said he hasn't heard of them. I told him I had ran a few trials and had been around labs for a long time and he still didn't have any idea but wanted to sale me one of those puppies! Needless to say I kept on walking but it goes to show you a little tv time and a marketing plan must work because his booth was full of interested people!

Ignorant and uninformed people
:(

#36 ·
It seems like anyone can rent a booth at a sports show of any kind, selling common marginal pedigree dogs for a higher cost, and have a crowd around them. It's pretty sad that's all it takes.

#37 ·
You can not fault someone that does not know what they do not know...

Its like woodwork..

There is High end Custom museum quality work...

Pottery Barn serves a purpose,,for MANY people..

I have spent many VERY enjoyable days in the field Hunting behind dogs, that could not pass a Junior HT..

JMHO..

#38 ·
Like I said ignorant and uninformed. I'm sure many are happy with a dog that could not pass a junior but I ask Mooser, now that you know better would you settle for that? I have seen plenty of dogs in the marsh that just made me cringe and I have sent dogs home that I wasn't happy with but their owners think they are great. Most of my client are in the category of ignorant and uninformed and at least here in UT they are the majority. Not that they are bad people they just aren't educated about dogs.

#40 · (Edited)
DANG!!!! I would NEVER refer to my clientele as Ignorant.... It would say a bit about me.. theys wasn't smart enough to find a competent person.... :confused:

Don't need a Testarossa to get groceries.. :)

#41 ·
I don't see the word ignorant as a bad thing. To me it is just not knowing or being educated on certain subjects. A whole lot of my clients are far more intelligent than I am. A couple in particular have been surgeons. I am totally ignorant in their field as they are in mine. Speaking of which you will have to excuse my ignorance but I have never seen a board with 6 sides.
One more point about unknowing clients. If I were to train a dog to the level they need they probably wouldn't be happy. I have to train above and beyond the clients level abilities so that the dog makes up for the gap in their lack of dog sense. I really am amazed at the lack of understanding of dogs in a lot of people.
Think back MR Gooser sir. I mean this as a compliment. I would vote for you as the most improved since you came on this forum, but I could give you a run for your money on that cuz I use to accuse people that used the collar of being cheaters;). Your a good man Gooser and I enjoy reading your posts and I very much admire your wood work and no you don't need a Testarossa to get groceries but might be fun. If we only used what we need we would probably still be throwing spears.

#42 ·
Shoot, you're no has been to me! I have a 16 y.o. son named Grady. I bought a Grady pup too just because I liked his poppa's name!

Six Degrees of Separation Regards!

Larry

p.s. No, you don't NEED a Testarossa to get groceries, but it sure makes an impression with the ladies!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.