The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Dog Helping My Recovery

Default Dog Helping My Recovery

I haven't posted on here in a while, but I felt I should share this.

Last week I was out surfing, and unfortunately broke my leg to the point that it required surgery. I had a plate and 7 screws put in to hold my fibula together...no fun.

Needless to say, I haven't been getting much training done in the past week. I'm not the only one who's noticing this lack of action, either.

I had the surgery on Monday, and they told me that I would be in quite a bit of pain for about a week before I saw any improvement.

Yesterday, I was sitting out on my porch, reading a book when I felt a cold nose on my knee. When I looked down, there was my girl, sitting in front of me with a bumper in her mouth, and continually bumping me with her nose and whining.

I took the bumper from her, and threw some fun bumpers for her, which she was very happy to get. I spent the past few days thinking about how this injury had ruined my summer as a beach bartender and had not been in the best of moods. But she reminded me of another VERY important part of the summer...getting us both in shape for the upcoming hunting season. I swear, they know when we're feeling down, and they know just how to get us back up.

Now that I have this new look on the situation, I swear my leg feels a MILLION times better today. I love my dog.

-Shupe

Shupe,
    Dogs have this keen sense when we need a pick me up. Dusty would do the same thing, not make a sound, just be there.
    Speedy recovery.
    Patti

HRCH UH Benton's Magnum Opus MH WC - Magnum (500 points) September 11, 1994 - May 9, 2007
    HRCH UH Fowl Play's Dust Devil - Dusty (500 points) February 5, 1998 - November 15, 2006
    HRCH UH Benton's Ria of Opus CGC - Ria (1520 points) March 2, 2002 - August 6, 2012 we miss you baby girl
    HRCH CH UR01 Go West Mamma's Last Nerve CGC RN- Emma (495 points and counting)
    HR GRCH Benton's Opus Pocket Change CGC- Penny (85 points - just getting started)

Aren't dogs great for the soul?
    Hope you heal up well from your wipeout!
    I just wouldn't tell to many people you got hurt surfing in Delaware. Now getting sammed on the reaf at the Pipe I could relate to. LOL

Haha! That's what I'm planning on telling my kids. Lol.

-Shupe

I swear, they know when we're feeling down, and they know just how to get us back up.
    After my accident (I fractured my neck, skull & my femur was shattered-rod inserted) some wonderful folks made a bed in the back of their minivan for the long (7+ hours) drive home. Kate-whose injuries weren't as bad-rode the whole way with her head on my chest.

When she & I got home-both she & Bailey wouldn't leave my side. When I got to the point where I could use a walker, Bailey would take baby steps so that she was never ahead of me.

One big plus-I ran Kate as test dog at an AKC Senior HT about a month later & I was still using the walker. It's the only time she'd ever not forged to line!

I hope you're feeling better soon & are back to training. Your dog will be excited to get back at it, but in the meantime you can rest assured that as long as she's with you she's happy

M
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you canít take it backÖ"

Mitch Patterson '07

MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)